Painting interior trim

Need help on paint, paint prep, welding, engines etc?

Moderator: Moderators

shane427
Senior Mustang
Senior Mustang

Painting interior trim

Post by shane427 »

Probably dumb questions but I'll ask away...

Thinking about repainting my interior trim as I want to remove some wear marks from where the fold down seat has rubbed and to also get some good rust prevention undercoat on the metal trim for longevity.

Q1) Can you get the metal trim powdercoated (assuming I can get them to match a colour closely). I just like the evenness in finish and the hard-wearing nature.
Q2) Alternativley what paint should be used (for metal trim or fibreglass panels). I don't very much like spray can finish so will want to use a gun if they are getting painted.
Q3) Lastly should I paint the screw heads, cover them somehow, or leave. I'm a little divided on what will look the best.

Appreciate peoples thoughts
donoauto
Mustang King
Mustang King

Re: Painting interior trim

Post by donoauto »

I'm putting stainless countersunk screws through mine & probably could be easily swayed to brush touch them same colour as panels. As for the rest , I'm gonna have a pro-painter do my fibreglass panels & steel areas on doors/dash/glove box etc.
(PRAYER) Oh thank you Wild Turkey American Honey & Cola in those small thin bottles, for giving me the strength to act like a half wit, and say stupid things at inappropriate times, semi-anonymously, on a public forum.
Amen.
shane427
Senior Mustang
Senior Mustang

Post by shane427 »

Im thinking about going down the same lines of colour matching the screw heads.
donoauto
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by donoauto »

I can't see it looking bad. I'll do 1 side stainless & paint the other side & have a good look over a beer. Won't be 4 a while though.
(PRAYER) Oh thank you Wild Turkey American Honey & Cola in those small thin bottles, for giving me the strength to act like a half wit, and say stupid things at inappropriate times, semi-anonymously, on a public forum.
Amen.
soc123_au
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by soc123_au »

There is no reason you couldnt powder coat the metal pieces of trim. If painting them, a good quality 2k is the go with a bit of matting agent to knock the gloss level down. The screw type/colour is a matter of what you prefer. The screw kits for the trims are inexpensive & will keep it looking factory & nice & fresh.
ChilliChadd
Mustang Maniac
Mustang Maniac

Post by ChilliChadd »

soc123_au wrote:There is no reason you couldnt powder coat the metal pieces of trim. If painting them, a good quality 2k is the go with a bit of matting agent to knock the gloss level down. The screw type/colour is a matter of what you prefer. The screw kits for the trims are inexpensive & will keep it looking factory & nice & fresh.
+1 for this method going the same way for the convertible and for the coupe, just waiting on the trim for the convertible so I can get the paint matched
stu67
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by stu67 »

Currently i am doing my original trim (yes, 43 yrs old). Lightly rubbing it back first, then some light primer, and some vinyl spray and it is coming out well. Not many colours to choose from in the vinyl paint i am using, but i am going for a full black interior, as low gloss as possible apart from the seats which i will polish up to a nice shine.

Is it worth me putting a light coat of a lacquer over it or will the vinyl paint be sufficient?
shane427
Senior Mustang
Senior Mustang

Post by shane427 »

Question about the fibreglass trim pieces for the quater sections, trapdoor surround etc.

I want to fix up a few scratches in the quarters from where the fold down seat has rubbed and the edges where screws and bolts have pulled through.

If I glass up and sand back there will be no "grain" in the repair sections which will look sh1t. Contemplating sanding back the whole trim to remove grain then prime and paint along with all the metal trim.

Opinions on whether it will look strange with no grain, anyone done this before?
scott66stang
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by scott66stang »

you can dab the wet paint or bog/resin with a corse rag or sponge to get close to the grain. I have done that when i filled the speaker holes in the lower doors.
Frank70
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by Frank70 »

I remember doing some leather repairs with a patch kit a few years back. Part of the kit was a die you heat pressed against the patch to give it some leather grain.

Maybe you could do something similar - just before the glass dries, press it with another piece with the same grain. Then wipe that piece with some alcohol to remove the fibreglass.

Some experimentation may be required.

Cheers,
Frank.
1970 Mustang Fastback 302 Toploader
1964 Ford Galaxie 500 Sedan 289 C4
1970 Chevrolet El Camino 350 Father/Son project
1995 BMW M3
2002 Ford Falcon XR6
shane427
Senior Mustang
Senior Mustang

Post by shane427 »

Thanks for the ideas, looks like I need to borrow my Mums arts and craft kit and have a play :idea: