Soda Blasting

Technical Discussion on Pre-1973 Mustangs

Moderator: Moderators

xpconnor
Mustang Maniac
Mustang Maniac

Re: Soda Blasting

Post by xpconnor »

I have no experience in this field what so ever so I could be going about this the wrong way, but I would speak to whoever you are going to get to spray your car and see what they recommend. Different spray shops will have different preferences but if you go with the advice of the shop that is spraying the vehicle they have no excuse for not getting good results. Also they are the first place to get complaints when a paint job starts lifting or looks inferior so they will know what prep they like.

If you are spraying your own car I would still talk to the spray painters and get there advice and what paint types they use for the prep they use. :thumbs:
Bosskraft
Senior Mustang
Senior Mustang

Post by Bosskraft »

I agree that soda blasting is a no no. I use glass these days in my business. Recently moved to a more course grade and it rips through rust like crazy and is much cheaper than soda, and doesn't leave any residue. Love it.
Sean McDonagh
www.bosskraft.com
MCA Gold Card Judge
ChilliChadd
Mustang Maniac
Mustang Maniac

Post by ChilliChadd »

Bosskraft wrote:I agree that soda blasting is a no no. I use glass these days in my business. Recently moved to a more course grade and it rips through rust like crazy and is much cheaper than soda, and doesn't leave any residue. Love it.
Hi Sean, how does that go with heat transfer on the panels?
ozbilt
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ozbilt »

ChilliChadd wrote:
Bosskraft wrote:I agree that soda blasting is a no no. I use glass these days in my business. Recently moved to a more course grade and it rips through rust like crazy and is much cheaper than soda, and doesn't leave any residue. Love it.
Hi Sean, how does that go with heat transfer on the panels?
Any aggressive media produces heat, so you always need a good operator. Never blast bonnets & boots. I also tend not to blast the center of a roof.

Rule of thumb is this; when deciding on a panel to blast or not, if it fairly flat, then no. If it has a frame on the inside (like a bonnet or boot) then you will get "ghosting" if you blast the inside, so I dip those panels.

I have seen cars destroyed by incompetent blasting. One 65 coupe I had sent to a paint shop with Trans Am style flares came back from his blaster needing 2 front fenders, 2 doors & a roof skin. I was able to save the rear 1/4 panels. Fortunately the bonnet & boot lid on that car was new, so did not get blasted. The front fenders were buckled that bad you could not bolt them up to the car. It cost twice as much to fix as the original repair/modification.
Kerry

To our wives and sweethearts. May they never meet
Shaunp
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Shaunp »

Drop it in a tub of molasis that will fix it up