No staff members are online!
We have received
page views since
July 27, 2010

Hits New Today: 3337
Hits New Yesterday: 31000

Server Time
25 April 2018 02:36:19 AEST (GMT +10)
Mustang Technical Discussion > Mustang Projects > Project Brandy > Community Forums > Mustang Forum Australia - Mustang Tech

Forum Index > Mustang Projects

Project Brandy Reply to topic

Go to page Previous 1, 2, 3 … 209, 210, 211 … 232, 233, 234 Next
xpconnor
Mustang Maniac

0 👍 / 0 👎

Hey Cage I just saw this on MOCA.

www.mustang.org.au/for...#msg302864

Might be worth investing in if you end up doing the wire upgrade. Sounds like it gets rid of the problem of the fan kicking on straight to hi speed.

"The Mustang is full of Awesome"

cage
Mustang King

0 👍 / 0 👎

Yeah thanks XP, I saw that originally but I am not sure if I need it at this stage. I have joined the low and high speed wires so that only the high speed works so that is what the guys are talking about. What I will do tomorrow is just connect the low speed and see how that goes. It will be an interesting exercise.

"The simple answer is, even if I have decided I still don't know what to do."

nassi
Mustang King

0 👍 / 0 👎

This may be of some use if you want to calculate wire size.
www.redarc.com.au/how-...wire-gauge

cage
Mustang King

0 👍 / 0 👎

Thanks Nassi

cage
Mustang King

0 👍 / 0 👎

Ok quick update, the fan and shroud is in and working. Currently on low speed only but as I will talk about below I think I may have fixed a ground problem so even at low speed I have a sneaky feeling it is working better. I took the Aircon condenser off as I am not running Aircon at the moment. All this combined has helped with the temp and is doesn't get over 200 much in traffic and around 180-190 while driving.

Once I go Aircon I think I might need a larger rad but for now I am OK and able to drive her pretty much anywhere.

Now, I am sure I have mentioned before that I am having troubles starting my car once it is hot. If I haven't mentioned it then I am having trouble starting my car once it is hot. It has a very slow crank and doesn't want to kick over. I have to wait about 20min for it to cool down before it will crank enough to kick into life. Pain in the arse so I decided to have a crack at working out why.

Power at the battery is 12.5v and only drops to 10.9 on crank so all good there. First thing, let's check the connections at the starter. The nut was not screwed down all the way and the cables were abled to be moved under the nut. Also it looked like I had some arcing going on with one cable crossing another one of the terminals.

Surely this wasn't helping so repositioned the wires, fixed up the sheathing and tightened the nut down properly.

Restarted the car no worries, got the temp up to 190 sitting stationary, turning off, back on again and it started. You beauty, let's go for a drive to field test it. Drove for 20min, came home and turned her off, turned her back on again and same problem, wouldn't crank properly. Aarrgghhhhh!

Ok what next.......the grounds or starter heat soak. Let's check the grounds. Again the gear box bolt with the engine ground was a little bit loose and I could move the cable under the bolt. Also some idiot (that's me) put the spring washer on the wrong side of the ground terminal, see below.

Moved the spring washer to the other side, tightened the bolt, done. While I was there though with the car on stands I thought I would look at the heat soak possibility also so I wrapped my starter with a heat wrap with stainless steel cable ties. Cut a window out for the cables and that was done also. If this didn't work then it was onto more issues like timing etc but cross fingers.

This time when I started her up cold it bursted into life quicker than it ever had, hmm, that has to be the earth....good signs. Went for a drive, got her nice and hot, turned her off and back on again and bammo, just as if she was cold. Off again, on again and all good. So to celebrate something that has been bugging me for months I went and did my virgin road artwork in the beast.....and didn't she do it with ease.

Last edited by cage on Sat Jan 14, 2017 8:26 pm; edited 2 times in total

ozbilt
Site Admin

0 👍 / 0 👎

Well done Like

BTW, you do not need a bigger rad, that one is big enough.

Kerry

"Thank you Boofhead for the wonderful memories"

Husky65
Mustang Star

0 👍 / 0 👎

Good work mate, I hate chasing down ground problem. I made sure I 'overgrounded' my car when I did the wiring if there is such a thing. What thermostat are you running? Those temps are are fine, 190 and my thermostat is even opening yet.

cage
Mustang King

0 👍 / 0 👎

Yeah, I am actually going to add another chassis to engine ground for good measure.

I am running a 180 thermostat.

Husky65
Mustang Star

0 👍 / 0 👎

You may as well bump up your thermostat to 190 or so, if you car is running there anway. It will also mean less temperature fluctuation which will stop you staring at the needle non stop.
Thermostats should be always working to regulate the temp, they really shouldn't be fully open and stay there unless your cooling system is struggling. The thermostat, low and high fans should all be working around a small temperature range which is covering the optimum engine temp.
For eg....optimum engine temp of 200dg, 195 thermostat(starts to open at 195), low fans kick on at 200, high at 205-210.

hybrid
Mustang King

0 👍 / 0 👎

Best part of all this, is you're having a crack and fixing it! So you get the satisfaction yourself too.

Can't believe I didn't suggest checking all your cables especially after how many loose bolts we've found, but you're onto it anyway. 👏

gbx78
Mustang King

0 👍 / 0 👎

hybrid wrote
Best part of all this, is you're having a crack and fixing it! So you get the satisfaction yourself too.

Can't believe I didn't suggest checking all your cables especially after how many loose bolts we've found, but you're onto it anyway. 👏

'You can never test fire too many times.' - Hybrid

'You can never have too many gauges' -
Boofhead

boofhead
Mustang King

0 👍 / 0 👎

You know you learn alot from having a crack. We are all hear to help (or laugh as friends do)
so Hats off to you for persisting, playing and learning while hopefully have a great time. Memories you will keep for the rest of your life.

I will someday think of something clever to say.

Ausjacko
Mustang King

0 👍 / 0 👎

I had a similar issue with the test stand. I finger tightened the earth cable thinking this would be fine. Wouldn't crank and sounded like a dead battery. In the end, I properly tightened the earth bolt for some other reason and like you, this fixed my 'dead' battery.

'68 J-code GT Fastback
'67 S-code GT coupe, 'Pink Bitz' formerly known as 'Hookin' up a brother'
'69 M_____ GTS Fastback 'Blasted'

cage
Mustang King

0 👍 / 0 👎

Had the car at a detailer for the week while I was away giving the outside a once over. It really needed it too. Turned out very nice compared to when it went in.

Last edited by cage on Mon Jan 23, 2017 4:45 pm; edited 1 time in total

Dwayne
Senior Mustang

0 👍 / 0 👎

Looks nice, did he put any protection on the paint to keep it looking great?

All times are Australia/Sydney
Go to page Previous 1, 2, 3 … 209, 210, 211 … 232, 233, 234 Next

Jump to:

TopPostersToday
   jbb 

Pinto-Pete 

Astro 

xpconnor 

ants 

Dwayne 

LatestForumPosts
Last 10 Forum Messages