No staff members are online!
We have received
page views since
July 27, 2010

Hits New Today: 16878
Hits New Yesterday: 13552

Server Time
22 July 2018 22:01:46 AEST (GMT +10)
Mustang Technical Discussion > Pre 1973 > C4 1966 shift improver kit > Community Forums > Mustang Forum Australia - Mustang Tech

Forum Index > Pre 1973

C4 1966 shift improver kit Reply to topic

Evie66
Baby Mustang

0 πŸ‘ / 0 πŸ‘Ž

I'm thinking of installing a stage 2 shift improver kit in my 66 with a c4 box, any advise on make, model number, where to buy or get advise would be appreciated. Sorry if there
are other such topics, I did search but didn't get any answers.

nassi
Mustang King

0 πŸ‘ / 0 πŸ‘Ž

Does your c4 still have the original valve body?

Evie66
Baby Mustang

0 πŸ‘ / 0 πŸ‘Ž

I'm not sure but I think it does as it was all pretty stock motor and running gear when i got it

nassi
Mustang King

0 πŸ‘ / 0 πŸ‘Ž

The reason I ask is you may need a specific type of shift kit if you have a greendot trans. Read this and see if yours is......

From 1964 to 1966 the C4 was called the Dual-Range Cruise-O-MaticÒ€”known among enthusiasts as the Green Dot transmission. The C4 Dual-Range is equipped with a valve body that allows a driver to start out in second gear on snow and ice with a 2-3 upshift, which is the small dot (off detent next to neutral) on the indicator. The larger green dot at the detent next to Ò€œLÒ€ enables you to start out in first gear and go through a normal 1-2-3 upshift program.
Ford called its C4 the Cruise-O-Matic while Mercury called its C4 the Merc-O-Matic. It is important to note Ò€œCruise-O-MaticÒ€ was a broad marketing name that applied to Ford automatic transmissions of the mid-1960s era. Beginning in 1967, Cruise-O-Matic was dropped and the name Ò€œSelect-ShiftÒ€ was used for all Ford automatics.

Cheers.

DD289
Mustang Star

0 πŸ‘ / 0 πŸ‘Ž

For what it's worth, my 65 had the configuration Nassi is referring to. However, when I had the C4 reconditioned as a stop gap to my manual box conversion, I had the guys fit a later model valve body as I preferred the more conventional operation. Apparently the later item is sometimes referred to as the Aussie valve body as that what was used in our Falcons out here.
But I'm sure there are some officianados out there who could confirm or otherwise.

"Hey Steve, I hope we can put this back together" - Ozbilt

Evie66
Baby Mustang

0 πŸ‘ / 0 πŸ‘Ž

Thanks for the info guys, looks like I have the green dot, and from what I have read it will need a valve body upgrade to run the shift improver. Sorry I can't post a pic but I have a dot after the N then a circle with a green dot inside it then a L last with DRIVE going down the side of this

If that's the case I may be better looking at a recod box with a kit already installed. I was quoted $750 exchange for this

nassi
Mustang King

0 πŸ‘ / 0 πŸ‘Ž

Evie66 wrote
Thanks for the info guys, looks like I have the green dot, and from what I have read it will need a valve body upgrade to run the shift improver. Sorry I can't post a pic but I have a dot after the N then a circle with a green dot inside it then a L last with DRIVE going down the side of this

If that's the case I may be better looking at a recod box with a kit already installed. I was quoted $750 exchange for this

Many people have changed the valve body but retained the old shifter so just check before despairing.
Do a normal take off with the shifter in both of the dot positions and count the changes.

Evie66
Baby Mustang

0 πŸ‘ / 0 πŸ‘Ž

Thanks nassi, ill do that next time I get it out. Just have to dial in the new e curve dizzy. Got it all in and running hard at full pedal, just won't idle real good ATM, just a bit more playing and I'm sure I'll get there. Real happy with results so far. Thanks cage

DD289
Mustang Star

0 πŸ‘ / 0 πŸ‘Ž

nassi wrote
Evie66 wrote

Many people have changed the valve body but retained the old shifter so just check before despairing.
Do a normal take off with the shifter in both of the dot positions and count the changes.

Like (if you want to retain the auto)
The late model valve body and something like a stage 2 shift kit would give you the best of both worlds. A bit more control whilst retaining a 1-2-3 auto shift in the drive position. Am I right Nassi? I have to ask, as my experience with the stock greendot is somewhat hypothetical... Before I had the late model valve body fitted I was only getting 1st and 3rd, got all 3 speeds working with the reco. All ok now... Does the job till I fix it for good.

"Hey Steve, I hope we can put this back together" - Ozbilt

GRIFF
Junior Mustang

0 πŸ‘ / 0 πŸ‘Ž

i reckon chances are that youll have the cruise-o-matic valve body and not the select shift vb. (PRND21)
i was quoted $500 to swap it out and my c4 was in tired shape anyway so i bought a 68 trans and i rebuilt it.
with a select shift vb to make shifts firmer there is a rubber puck you remove, its simple and makes a helluva difference, apart from having the best frictions and steels i could buy thats the only mod ive done to mine and its great.
personally i wouldnt want it to shift any firmer, esp on a 1-2 shift at light throttle. so evaluate how you want to drive the car.

oh and if you do swap it out and youve got a console in your 66, ive made the flat replacement gear selector with PRND21 because the 67+ wont fit 65-66 console.

Here's one for you Hendrix fans, "Little Wing" by one of my bands MATT ROBERTS TRIO live at The Boatshed in Sydney.
We always try and give this song the respect it deserves and Matt rips up the solo's. enjoy!
www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGpGaUPWJLY

All times are Australia/Sydney

Jump to:

TopPostersToday
   hybrid 

Shaunp 

smally 

nassi 

lukep6470 

Nuts 

LatestForumPosts
Last 10 Forum Messages