No staff members are online!
We have received
page views since
July 27, 2010

Hits New Today: 11053
Hits New Yesterday: 16065

Server Time
21 July 2018 18:12:59 AEST (GMT +10)
Q&A > General Tech Advice > Motor build, opinions please. > Community Forums > Mustang Forum Australia - Mustang Tech

Forum Index > General Tech Advice

Motor build, opinions please. Reply to topic

Go to page Previous 1, 2, 3 … 6, 7, 8 … 13, 14, 15 Next
trav68
Mustang Star

0 👍 / 0 ğŸ‘Ž

All good.

Bearing clearances checked out at
1: 0.002
2: 0.0015 - 2
3: 0.0015
4: 0.002
5: 0.002

Pre-gapped top rings came in around 0.015 and the second rings a whisker more than that.

Was going to put the cam in but my delivery from Summit has gone AWOL...damm Aust Post.

Cheers,
Trav

boofhead
Mustang King

0 👍 / 0 ğŸ‘Ž

Good work.
Your on the tighter end of the range though it is all good.

I will someday think of something clever to say.

trav68
Mustang Star

0 👍 / 0 ğŸ‘Ž

Away for an extended long weekend but got the rod bearings all plastigauged tonight:

#1 and #5 ~0.002
#2 and #6 ~0.0015 - 0.002
#3 and #7~0.0015 - 0.002
#4 and #8 ~0.002

So once again came in at the tighter end of specs but given this really is just a street engine but will proceed. Understand for a small block journal size 0.002 - 0.0025 is better for performance builds.

Now waiting on a replacement package from Summit due to the Aust Post f&%^kwits leaving a $1000 parcel on my doorstep and getting stolen ( or just delivering it to god knows where). House was only unattended for about 5 minutes at time of delivery but no sign of package or delivery notification and Aust Post are most unhelpful on the phone.

Trav.

Shaunp
Mustang King

0 👍 / 0 ğŸ‘Ž

You could get the crank linished

boofhead
Mustang King

0 👍 / 0 ğŸ‘Ž

Trav8 - Excellent work on your measuring. As you said all is fine - run it in a little then you can cane it.

Sorry to hear about the package. I usually have to sign (and pick up the package from the post office) when I get stuff from summit. Frustrating I am sure - when do you get the heads? More photos......

Hawko
Mustang Star

0 👍 / 0 ğŸ‘Ž

trav68 wrote

Now waiting on a replacement package from Summit due to the Aust Post f&%^kwits leaving a $1000 parcel on my doorstep and getting stolen ( or just delivering it to god knows where). House was only unattended for about 5 minutes at time of delivery but no sign of package or delivery notification and Aust Post are most unhelpful on the phone.

Trav.

I just recieved a package from Summit and was suprised to come home and find it sitting on the doorstep.
The Aus Post label on it had "Leave in a secure place if address is not attended" written in the delivery notes section. like you I was not too happy to find $1000 worth of parts sitting on my doorstep.

trav68
Mustang Star

0 👍 / 0 ğŸ‘Ž

Heads will be arriving early next week. I have a Shipito postal address in Californio and use TNT 4 day service to my door. TNT are awesome. It seems to work out marginally more expensive than using the Summit iParcel service but heaps quicker ( my lost iParcel was slow leaving US) and if you miss a delivery they will phone and organise a preferred time. I got each head shipped for $140 TNT express to my door. Most times I place a ship order Thursday morning and recieve it Monday morning.

Crank was actually micropolished at the machine shop. I read on the SBFtech forum that King bearnigs usually are bit tighter on clearances out of the box not sure if there is any validity in that or just an individuals opinion but seems to be the case for me.

Trav

boofhead
Mustang King

0 👍 / 0 ğŸ‘Ž

Interesting that the delivery policy has changed. Might only be the local contractor - I know Del Computers has recently adopted the same policy (which is a worry as well).

Trav - sounds like a great way to get your parts. I might have to look into it myself. I was in WA (Perth) Yesterday seeing a client. It is a nice town for sure - had tea at a Greek restaurant in Town - excellent food.

I am looking forward hearing about your progress. BTW: The SBFTech forum is a very good source of information.

trav68
Mustang Star

0 👍 / 0 ğŸ‘Ž

Shipito is $50 a year for a virtual mailbox. You receive 18 cu ft of space and can receive and consolidate parcels as required with storage upto 90 days. There is a small service fee per each parcel consolidated and great freight rates with Fedex, DHL and TNT ( cheapest option usually).

If I was building a stroker I would probably get all the bits from Woody@SBFtech/Fordstrokers. He seems to have a cult following in the US and only positive feedback.

boofhead
Mustang King

0 👍 / 0 ğŸ‘Ž

trav68 wrote
Shipito is $50 a year for a virtual mailbox. You receive 18 cu ft of space and can receive and consolidate parcels as required with storage upto 90 days. There is a small service fee per each parcel consolidated and great freight rates with Fedex, DHL and TNT ( cheapest option usually).

If I was building a stroker I would probably get all the bits from Woody@SBFtech/Fordstrokers. He seems to have a cult following in the US and only positive feedback.

Thanks for the information.

I have quite a few bits from Woody for my (latest) 347 stroker project sitting right here.

Shaunp
Mustang King

0 👍 / 0 ğŸ‘Ž

Dave who is this Woody guy? Gav is looking to build one for his XR GT replica, he's not sure if to just do the 302 or put a kit in it, really depends if it needs boring.

trav68
Mustang Star

0 👍 / 0 ğŸ‘Ž

google fordstroker.com

They can ship a fully prep'ed block and stroker kit out to Aust for about $400 on sea freight. I would do that next time if had more time up my sleave and was not so eager.

Trav

boofhead
Mustang King

0 👍 / 0 ğŸ‘Ž

Shaun,

Trav has provided his web site above. I purchased the internal bits from him and then went to a custom CAM shop to get the roller (knowing the heads I was going to purchase) and then ordered the heads set up for the CAM.

The basic recipe is easy. Use a cast crank (as it lighter) though you need to get one of a decent level of quality. So this is my real simple combination.

3.400 cast scat crank
5.400 long scat I beam rod (.927 pin)
Probe P3471F Flat top (.927 pin)

Happy to show the collection of bits.

ozbilt
Site Admin

0 👍 / 0 ğŸ‘Ž

The link to SBF

www.sbftech.com/

Kerry

Not all heroes wear capes, some wear scuba tanks and swim by feel ........

"Thank you Boofhead for the wonderful memories"

Shaunp
Mustang King

0 👍 / 0 ğŸ‘Ž

Thanks Dave, couldnt see they he sells the rotating assembles seperate on his web site. Anyway wait we'll see what the 302 looks like. Gav is buying the Ex Bronco one that John has spare, as a base block it's standard bore I believe. I talkied him out of a 351, because if he wants the XR to look kind of correct it should have 289/302 base for the engine.

All times are Australia/Sydney
Go to page Previous 1, 2, 3 … 6, 7, 8 … 13, 14, 15 Next

Jump to:

TopPostersToday
   Charbel 

Husky65 

Dwayne 

nassi 

hybrid 

Ausjacko 

ComingEvents
There are no events scheduled in the next 14 days.
LatestForumPosts
Last 10 Forum Messages
hybrids 1966 Coupe Project
Last post by hybrid in Mustang Projects on Jul 21, 2018 17:53:05

Looks like the block is cracked - Never, ever buy Dart
Last post by Shaunp in General Tech Advice on Jul 21, 2018 12:42:22

Narrowing an Exploder diff
Last post by Dwayne in General Tech Advice on Jul 21, 2018 10:45:02

Husky's 65 Restomod
Last post by nassi in Mustang Projects on Jul 20, 2018 21:26:37

Project Lime A code.
Last post by nassi in Mustang Projects on Jul 20, 2018 21:21:42