No staff members are online!
We have received
page views since
July 27, 2010

Hits New Today: 13340
Hits New Yesterday: 13552

Server Time
22 July 2018 16:53:33 AEST (GMT +10)
Mustang Technical Discussion > Mustang Projects > My 68 > Community Forums > Mustang Forum Australia - Mustang Tech

Forum Index > Mustang Projects

My 68 Reply to topic

Go to page Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 Next
steve851
Junior Mustang

0 πŸ‘ / 0 πŸ‘Ž

scott66stang wrote
Good to hear you enjoyed the panel course, did you get to sort out your fenders?

I took a fender in on the second week and then realised that two and a half hours hours was not long enough to get it sorted. So I took a door in which had a series of small dents and a bit of oil canning, and I used that to practice with. Though the course is finished now I still have a little work to do on the door. However, the oil canning is gone and most of the dents are gone, and I must say I'm pretty pleased with the result so far. The front guards will be attended to soon, using the skills I learned from that course.
One thing I really took in from that course, is that panel beaters must have the patience of a saint,

ozbilt
Site Admin

0 πŸ‘ / 0 πŸ‘Ž

steve851 wrote
One thing I really took in from that course, is that panel beaters must have the patience of a saint,

Thank you my son ...... Cool

Hope Mrsozbilt does not see this..... Cement

Kerry

Not all heroes wear capes, some wear scuba tanks and swim by feel ........

"Thank you Boofhead for the wonderful memories"

nassi
Mustang King

0 πŸ‘ / 0 πŸ‘Ž

ozbilt wrote
steve851 wrote

Thank you my son ...... Cool

Hope Mrsozbilt does not see this..... Cement

Why, by now she would be used to your little lapses??????? Surely..... Very Happy

scott66stang
Mustang King

0 πŸ‘ / 0 πŸ‘Ž

steve851 wrote

The amount of time i spent heating , stretching, massaging, dollying the badly damaged rear quarters of my fastback, and fabricating instead of buying the lower sections of the rear quarter panels, i could of replaced the whole panel 10 times over.
But i enjoyed every minute of the process testing what i am capable of, which was my intention on that build and gives you a great sense of accomplishment.
I still have the new quarter skins i purchased "just incase" sitting in the shed.

My convertible however will be much easier panel replacement project and when i eventually get back to it will be speedier process, i have no intention to waste my time on a badly damaged panel again.
Head Bash

Converting Rust to Something Drivable

66 Fastback Fairstang Project www.mustangtech.com.au...art=0.html
67 convertibuild project www.mustangtech.com.au...art=0.html
Thought Collecting Couch www.mustangtech.com.au...=1739.html
Caddy Wacked www.mustangtech.com.au...art=0.html

tim_morrison82
Mustang Maniac

0 πŸ‘ / 0 πŸ‘Ž

I took a door in, got most of it sorted. I need to get my hands on some good dollys and hammers. Maybe i'll stick them down on my bday present list for this year.

just a heads up, the cheap sets you see at repco, etc, are a waste of money...

Dreaming the dream... Living the reality...

nassi
Mustang King

0 πŸ‘ / 0 πŸ‘Ž

Yes, cheap is a misnomer. It generally means a waste of money hence extra expense. JMO

steve851
Junior Mustang

0 πŸ‘ / 0 πŸ‘Ž

I picked an El cheapo panel beating set from evil bay. One of those 7 piece jobbies I found them quite useful but the dollies are quite small and maybe a little light. but as usual I've been improvising ( things like an old block splitter head for a dolly) and with the patience I mentioned in an earlier post I'm hoping to achieve reasonable result. So far my weapon of choice has bean the good old slapping file, it seems to work better than a planishing hammer, not that I'm by any means an expert. But as I always say, "improvise, adapt and overcome"

steve851
Junior Mustang

0 πŸ‘ / 0 πŸ‘Ž

Need some advice from someone, as I said before the car is a rolling chassis now. I was going to put it on stands and start on removing the suspension etc. Anyway before jacking the car I decided to loosen the wheel nuts, now here's the problem. When I pulled the hub caps off I found anti theft locking nuts and...... ( You guessed it!) no f'ing adapter. Ive heard that it's possible to remove the other wheel nuts and reef on the wheel, thereby snapping the stud off. But seeing as I don't own a blue and white striped apron, I really baulk at doing that. So that would be a last resort. So I anyone out there has any suggestions they would be gladly appreciated

nassi
Mustang King

0 πŸ‘ / 0 πŸ‘Ž

If you have access to a welder, weld a nut to the lock nut.

gbx78
Mustang King

0 πŸ‘ / 0 πŸ‘Ž

steve851 wrote
Need some advice from someone, as I said before the car is a rolling chassis now. I was going to put it on stands and start on removing the suspension etc. Anyway before jacking the car I decided to loosen the wheel nuts, now here's the problem. When I pulled the hub caps off I found anti theft locking nuts and...... ( You guessed it!) no f'ing adapter. Ive heard that it's possible to remove the other wheel nuts and reef on the wheel, thereby snapping the stud off. But seeing as I don't own a blue and white striped apron, I really baulk at doing that. So that would be a last resort. So I anyone out there has any suggestions they would be gladly appreciated

this happened a while ago to me. A wheel place showed me a little trick whether its right wrong or down right a no no and im sure the more experience have better ways.. but he tapped a socket thats the right size enough to cut grooves into the locking nut (not all the way just enough to grip it) and got the ratchet out and unlocked it (if that makes sense) .. then we unscrewed the nut off. Yes the nut was now damaged but its not like your going to use it again if you dont have the adapter for it anyway.

mikes68
Mustang King

0 πŸ‘ / 0 πŸ‘Ž

gbx78 wrote
steve851 wrote

this happened a while ago to me. A wheel place showed me a little trick whether its right wrong or down right a no no and im sure the more experience have better ways.. but he tapped a socket thats the right size enough to cut grooves into the locking nut (not all the way just enough to grip it) and got the ratchet out and unlocked it (if that makes sense) .. then we unscrewed the nut off. Yes the nut was now damaged but its not like your going to use it again if you dont have the adapter for it anyway.

That does work however just be carefull not to damage your socket as they an split if you go to hard...

Fifty Years Afloat

We can't alter the direction of the wind,
But we can adjust our sails

Shaunp
Mustang King

0 πŸ‘ / 0 πŸ‘Ž

tim_morrison82 wrote
I took a door in, got most of it sorted. I need to get my hands on some good dollys and hammers. Maybe i'll stick them down on my bday present list for this year.

just a heads up, the cheap sets you see at repco, etc, are a waste of money...

Yeah you need to buy propper hammers and dolleys, and you need a flipper, but you can make that from an old file, just heat it with an oxy bend it, rap some tape around the one end to save your hand, have a look at my thread, think there is one I the roof of my car I made the other day.

ozbilt
Site Admin

0 πŸ‘ / 0 πŸ‘Ž

In the trade down here we call the thing you called a "flipper" a "slapper".

www.ozintersales.com.a...-Flat.html

That is also what it is known as in the USA

Some made from old leaf springs, these do not stretch the metal as fast.......

Lot of interesting tools here...

www.chevelles.com/foru...p?t=335374

Another variation of a slapper...

Kerry

Not all heroes wear capes, some wear scuba tanks and swim by feel ........

"Thank you Boofhead for the wonderful memories"

nassi
Mustang King

0 πŸ‘ / 0 πŸ‘Ž

ozbilt wrote

and there I was thinking a slapper was a girl of dubious character. Sad

Faststangfan
Mustang Star

0 πŸ‘ / 0 πŸ‘Ž

nassi wrote
ozbilt wrote

and there I was thinking a slapper was a girl of dubious character. Sad

Either one can be used to get a wrinkle or two out Poke

Living the dream.
1969 Mach 1 351c
1970 Fastback 302w
1971 Fastback 351c

All times are Australia/Sydney
Go to page Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 Next

Jump to:

TopPostersToday
   hybrid 

Husky65