No staff members are online!
We have received
page views since
July 27, 2010

Hits New Today: 526
Hits New Yesterday: 21366

Server Time
17 July 2018 00:46:25 AEST (GMT +10)
Mustang Technical Discussion > Mustang Projects > Mike's 68 > Community Forums > Mustang Forum Australia - Mustang Tech

Forum Index > Mustang Projects

Mike's 68 Reply to topic

Go to page Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 … 97, 98, 99 Next
mikes68
Mustang King

0 πŸ‘ / 0 πŸ‘Ž

Things have slowed a little as I am waiting on some more parts to be delivered. With that said there is always a bunch of smaller things that can be done in the mean time.

I decided to have a go at cleaning up under the dash. Now is pretty much the perfect time to do this as the cowl is completely out along with all of the wiring and just about anything else that can be taken off the car to make it a complete bare shell.

It also gave me the opportunity to roll the beast out of the garage and into the driveway for all to see. I jacked the body up off the jig on the rotisserie which worked really well.

I've gotta say the use of the rotisserie has met every expectation that I had of it and I am very happy with how it is working - even if it is a little "over engineered" :smile01:

Getting in under the dash really was so simple when I could just roll it around on to its side or upside down. Crouching underneath and poking my head and shoulders up gave perfect access. This in complete contrast to Alex's go at doing this with the car not on a rotisserie and with the cowl still in place. Read about his dancing grinder efforts here -->> 68vert.blogspot.com/se...erous+dash

The underside of my dash was actually in pretty good condition with just the usual surface rust showing through. Nothing at all bad so I got in with the wire brush on the grinder along with some manual rubbing back before I got in with the KBS cleaning solution.

I have used the KBS product under the dash as I thought I would check the product out again. I had previously used it on Craig's 65 trunk lid which I did an attempt at a repair of when I did the TAFE course (Basic Panel Work). The KBS product is a 3 step product which you basically clean, then etch then paint. It comes in several different colours and also gloss or matt finish (only in some of the colours I think).

Getting the car out in the sun and rotated around also gave me the chance to get a couple of clear shots of the underside of the inner rockers and you can see just how bad they are flogged out with rust.

On another note I paid a visit to Scott (scottstang) today and boy does he have a setup and a half down south...!!!

Seeing how someone else is tackling the same problems is always good and I can see more visits on the horizon - oh, and he has a pretty cool dog also :smile01: - thanks for your time today Scott...:thumb: :thumb:

Fifty Years Afloat

We can't alter the direction of the wind,
But we can adjust our sails

mikes68
Mustang King

0 πŸ‘ / 0 πŸ‘Ž

Originally posted by GRUMPY ONE
Think the dog looks like he wants fries with them chooks.!!

What a great looking dog Scott – is it a Boarder Collie ….my in-laws had the most beautiful black and white purebred boarder collie and it was super intelligent, but it passed away 2 years back, it was a very sad day for all the family as that dog was a big part of all our lives.

:gpost:

Just a question about the last pic of your car Mike – that section of the floor in the corner of the wheel well that’s been cut away – is also a spot that I think has been patched in my car.

Just wonder what is the main cause for them rusting out in that spot --- is it to do with water leaking into the boot area – I also noted on my video inspection a couple of patches has been put in the both corners of the rear top strip area between the boot and say where the back window would be, mines a vert also of course – so I wondering is it a common spot on verts or all models, if you can understand what I’m trying to say.

If so than I may not have further issues as they’ve been patched well – but if that’s not the cause, I want to try and avoid further cancer where possible?

Interested in hearing both your thoughts guys!

Drink

Hey Grumpy,

If you mean the rusted out section you see in this image:

That is the rear end of the inner rocker - inner rockers are only put on verts as extra structural reinforcement due to no roof.

This is quite a common area for them to rust out from what I've read. They don't have drain holes in them and the floor is tucked up immediately under them so there is a good trap for water / moisture to collect - voila! and so it begins... Scott(stang) has shown a good tutorial in his thread on patching (as opposed to replacing) the inner rockers (check it out mustang.org.au/forum/v...id=11350). So if you ever found yourself in that situation it is not the most difficult task with the right gear.

On the other area you mentioned... it sounds like you are talking about the rear deck filler panel (I think that's what they call it). Mine is rusted on each corner there as well - where it meets the quarter panels. Also under there is a bit of a trough which wraps around from either side across the back. It is intended to catch and drain the water that may leak in around the base of the top (I guess) however in my case it is so badly rusted that the whole thing will have to be rebuilt. I haven't read or seen too much on these having issues so I would just expect that it is just an area that can trap water / moisture with the usual results. I guess if you are aware of these areas and every now and then you make sure that you get into them and keep them clean and clear then it will make it last a lot longer. Also, you say that they look like they have been patched well then it shouldn't be an issue for you for years to come (if at all).

Oh yeah... Scott's dog (King) - what a happy healthy dog that one was. I must have been throwing a ball for it for 20 minutes straight and he didn't give up - at all.

Fifty Years Afloat

mikes68
Mustang King

0 πŸ‘ / 0 πŸ‘Ž

Originally posted by ANGZ66
Mike,

So it can be done.

I looked at a 66 vert on ebay yesterday in worse condition and thought don't do it.
Then i looked at your pics and thought maybe.

Good luck.

I'm a bit worried about the rusty chooks but.

Roger.

Hi Roger,

It's all about expectations and if you are prepared to spend... The price doesn't even really matter (dare I say) as long as YOU are happy with what you are paying and what you will NEED to pay.

If you buy a car for $30k and then have to spend another $30k to fix it up to such a state that will make it look great and last another 40 years but you could only reasonably expect to sell it today for $40k - as long as YOU are happy with that then who am I to question it. I might say you are just plain crazy wasting the money (many would I'm sure) but hey, so long as you are happy...

If however you pick up that same car for $5k - well that's a much happier place to be in.

Many times it has been mentioned on this forum about having reasonable expectations with what you are getting into. Certainly if you have the skills to do as much of the work as possible then you will save a small fortune on any resto but if you have to go elsewhere and pay others to get things done then it will add up very quickly.

I don't expect to be making any money on this car when it is complete - that's not what I got into this for. I want a car that I can keep for many many years to come and know how it has been built (restored) and to know that I did this with my own hands - that's a bloke thing mostly which most of the people on this forum would know all too well :smile01:

I guess (long story short) in answer to your post... if you have the time and patience and understand what you are getting into then go for it - just stick with this forum and seek out and heed the advice of the experts - wherever they may be (insert sarcastic undertone here...)

Fifty Years Afloat

mikes68
Mustang King

0 πŸ‘ / 0 πŸ‘Ž

Originally posted by Grumpy One
Thanks to you both, I've learnt something today.

I think I will just double check my patch when I get my car next week. Because in the video that Matt took - I don’t think the previous owner got around to welding up the patch fully so I might have a small job to tackle - no big deal but atleast I have a better understanding know if that area.

From what we could tell the rockers are all fine in our car - but I am expecting to uncover maybe a few spots, when I scrub underneath and re-paint.

Thanks for the input fellas!!

I will enjoy watching this progress.

Fifty Years Afloat

mikes68
Mustang King

0 πŸ‘ / 0 πŸ‘Ž

Trunk floor

So this is what I have actually been up to today (15th Aug 2010)...

Left hand side
Donor panel from scott66stang

A little bit of manipulation to make it fit but otherwise all good

Clecos to the rescue again...

Test fitted the new fuel tank to make sure the holes are lining up before welding in the new panel

Right hand side

Removed the old panel

A bit of cleaning up

A little patch repair to the lower right section of the front trunk floor - did the same to the lower left as well replacing previous dodgy patches

Had to manipulate this side a little as well but nice and snug otherwise

Looks a little neater now

And of course another test fit to make sure the holes line up on this side as well - they don't quite

And that will do me for today... happy with the progress today!!

I'll come back a little later on and edit this post and maybe put up a bit more on each of the photos...

Fifty Years Afloat

mikes68
Mustang King

0 πŸ‘ / 0 πŸ‘Ž

cage wrote
WOW Mike there is some serious stuff going on there. Nice work mate. Can't wait to see the progress.

And looking at the post timestamps - all done in one day!!! Give Me Beer!

Fifty Years Afloat

mikes68
Mustang King

0 πŸ‘ / 0 πŸ‘Ž

Nuts wrote
Nice work Mike.

Thanks Nuts... Thumbs Up

Fifty Years Afloat

ozbilt
Site Admin

0 πŸ‘ / 0 πŸ‘Ž

You guys are giving me confidence that the Mustang hobby is in good hands.

The dedication that you all are showing in tackling these cars is huge. I look at the projects here that are being undertaken & literally hold my breath, it is that huge. To guys like Jeff, Stu, Scott & yourself (I know there are more, but that is what I have been reading today), need to give yourselves a big pat on the back. Thumbs Up

To say I am impressed would be a gross understatement..... Clap

Kerry

Not all heroes wear capes, some wear scuba tanks and swim by feel ........

"Thank you Boofhead for the wonderful memories"

Last edited by ozbilt on Sun Aug 15, 2010 12:16 pm; edited 1 time in total

mikes68
Mustang King

0 πŸ‘ / 0 πŸ‘Ž

So... having uploaded all of this I should now put it all into perspective I guess.

I just realised as I uploaded the last set of photos to Photobucket that this is now 26 weeks (6 months) into the project - the car arrive here in Perth back in late Feb and back then I knew that I wanted to try and keep a reasonable track of this for everyone's benefit. The one thing that I wish I had done at the start was to keep an actual record of the hours spent each weekend. I have got a good record of all expenses - right down to the gas refills and contactor tips for the MIG welder and every part ordered beit local or overseas...

Fifty Years Afloat

Last edited by mikes68 on Sun Aug 15, 2010 1:56 pm; edited 1 time in total

mikes68
Mustang King

0 πŸ‘ / 0 πŸ‘Ž

ozbilt wrote
You guys are giving me confidence that the Mustang hobby is in good hands.

The dedication that you all are showing in tackling these cars is huge. I look at the projects here that are being undertaken & literally hold my breath, it is that huge. To guys like Jeff, Stu, Scott & yourself (I know there are more, but that is what I have been reading today), need to give yourselves a big pat on the back. Thumbs Up

To say I am impressed would be a gross understatement..... Clap

Well from myself and I'm sure all the others Kerry - a massive thankyou for EVERYTHING that you do for us. Of course there are other key players around as well (so many to name) that the same applies

Soooo... THANKS

Fifty Years Afloat

hybrid
Mustang King

0 πŸ‘ / 0 πŸ‘Ž

So true... I'd still be standing looking at my door gaps scratching my head if it wasn't for Kerry Laughing

And yeah top stuff Mike!

Edit: By the way, I've moved your thread into the Projects forum!

mikes68
Mustang King

0 πŸ‘ / 0 πŸ‘Ž

hybrid wrote
So true... I'd still be standing looking at my door gaps scratching my head if it wasn't for Kerry Laughing

And yeah top stuff Mike!

Edit: By the way, I've moved your thread into the Projects forum!

My biggest killer is time... I have a new firewall arriving some time via Lee and Sheriden (Import Perfections - Perth) and when that arrives I would love to take a week or two off work and just go for it. I could knock over so much if I just had the time!!! 😒

Edit: Thanks - I was going to ask you to move it when I realised it was in the general chat!! Thumbs Up

Fifty Years Afloat

hybrid
Mustang King

0 πŸ‘ / 0 πŸ‘Ž

I know what you mean mate... I get half a day a week at the moment.
Will be better when football season is over. Two weeks to go if we make it to the grand final.

mikes68
Mustang King

0 πŸ‘ / 0 πŸ‘Ž

hybrid wrote
I know what you mean mate... I get half a day a week at the moment.
Will be better when football season is over. Two weeks to go if we make it to the grand final.

Oh ya just had to go and bring up the footy now didn't ya!!! Poke

Fifty Years Afloat

ChilliChadd
Mustang Maniac

0 πŸ‘ / 0 πŸ‘Ž

great work Mike

Chadd

_______________COUPDUP_______________

All times are Australia/Sydney
Go to page Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 … 97, 98, 99 Next

Jump to:

TopPostersToday
   unilec5544 

lukep6470 

DavesStang 

ComingEvents
There are no events scheduled in the next 14 days.
LatestForumPosts
Last 10 Forum Messages
66 Mustang Coupe Rear seat WTB
Last post by DavesStang in Wanted - Parts on Jul 16, 2018 19:30:44

rear wheel bearings
Last post by lukep6470 in Pre 1973 on Jul 16, 2018 10:58:17

Changing pages?
Last post by unilec5544 in Website Help on Jul 16, 2018 00:59:53

70 Mach 1 - Slowly
Last post by Chux in Mustang Projects on Jul 15, 2018 20:52:16

Overheating Sorted....I Hope
Last post by ants in Pre 1973 on Jul 15, 2018 20:10:02