This weekends work involved replacing the outer wheel well and replacing the front section of the trunk.
I will paint the wheel well with POR-15 before putting the outer guard on.
I did not replace the entire wheel well. I cut around the roof truss section and left part of the old well in place.
I decided to stop here because next week will be putting a door and the bootlid on and lining up the rear guard ready for welding in place. That is going to be rather tricky I would think.
Took a while to line everything up, so only the front where it meets the door is welded...the rest will have to be next weekend.
Where the guard at the top meets the door, the gap is bigger than it is at the bottom. Its got to be door alignment though.. I can't see how the guard can be out there because it welds to the door jamb which is solid. I'll play more with the alignment later.
I've still got the wheels on the front, so its sitting on the wheels.
It's on stands at the back though.
I'll put the other set of stands under the front next weekend and borrow some screw stands from my dad.
I wonder if it moved while I had the floors out.
I managed to get the gap okay at one point, but the door was too low.
Also going to put the boot lid on before I go any further, so that should show me if the body is out.
The rest of the guard seems to line up with the wheel well and the rear sill. Its just the door that seems to be out.
It actually looks like it may have been slightly out originally too.
And I'm sure the Taiwanese doors I bought can't be helping.
Well after a couple of visits from the Mustang Master Kerry, I now have two well aligned doors.
Next I will source the left rear quarter and get going with that along with the filler panel between the window and boot lid.
Huge thankyou to Kerry for his help... I would have never thought of some of the methods he used to straighten everything up.
Ok, its starting to look like a car again now!
There is still some more spot welding to be done on the rear quarters, but I'd had enough for the day, so I'll continue with it next weekend, or on Australia day.
The gaps around the boot lid should come up ok once I play around a bit with the boot lid.
Rust repairs around the windows are now done - both top corners in the front, and both bottom corners at the rear.
Both sides trunk corners are in place.
The only rust repairs left new is some of the drip rail and battery tray, then its ready for the rotisserie.
Got a wee bit more done this weekend... the quarter joins are very time consuming because my "bogging" is not great, so takes me a few more layers and more sanding than it would with someone who knows what they are doing.
Also repaired the front drip rail on the drivers side which was rusted through. Some seam sealer inside it should finish it off, and possibly a little filler underneath.
Cleaned up the trunk and started to prime it, but ran out of pressure pack etch primer, so might have to fire up the compressor and finish it off with the gun. I plan to paint the whole lot with the black POR-15 paint that I used for the floors.
Also sat the right front quarter back in place after spraying body deadner inside it.
Really need to get these quarter joins finished so I can get it on the rotisserie.
This is my porta power pushing the towers apart to test fit the braces.
Once again Kerry was right - I had a lump on top of the inner guard on both sides which Kerry said would drop down once the towers were pushed apart.
Thanks to a friendly neighbour, I now have the loan of a rotisserie.
So next weekend will be flipping it over and sorting out the underneath.
I might even run the brake and fuel lines while its upside down.
Oh yeah, and I better remove the rear springs and shocks now too :+
The logos and trademarks used on this site are the property of their respective owners.
We are not responsible for comments, advice, opinions, products or services posted by our members, as they are the property of the poster.