No staff members are online!
We have received
page views since
July 27, 2010

Hits New Today: 18986
Hits New Yesterday: 24799

Server Time
21 April 2018 21:29:18 AEST (GMT +10)
Q&A > General Tech Advice > 65 mustang coupe AU XR8 conversion help needed > Community Forums > Mustang Forum Australia - Mustang Tech

Forum Index > General Tech Advice

65 mustang coupe AU XR8 conversion help needed Reply to topic

Go to page 1, 2 Next
nickcrow
Baby Mustang

0 👍 / 0 👎

Hi Guys, I am currently building a 65 mustang coupe I have done the RHD conversion using a retrorack powersteering kit and I have purchased a AU XR8 for the driveline. My question what modifications do I need to do to use the engine and gearbox from the AU XR8 im pretty sure its a series 1, I would like to retain the fuel injection if possible. Will the engine and gearbox fit right in?
will I need a different gearbox mount?
what do I need to do regarding the electrics for the EFi?
I want to have air conditioning in the stang aswell so I would like to run the compressor. Will the standard au pulley set up work or will i need to modify it?

Thanks in advance guys
Nick

www.amuzemedia.com

boofhead
Mustang King

0 👍 / 0 👎

The engine will go in with its accessories. You will need a gearbox mount. Possibly a modified tail shaft. If you stay with the main CPU (and support EFI controllers) then using the standard EFI controller is no problem. You will need to install a high pressure EFI fuel pump and a return line. Lastly the exhaust headers might need to be modified to suite your setup.

Look at Scotts thread which has a lot of information that would be applicable.

I will someday think of something clever to say.

nickcrow
Baby Mustang

0 👍 / 0 👎

Thanks for the reply, what was scotts thread called? could you possibly link me to it? thanks!

www.amuzemedia.com

S[_]SPECT
Mustang Maniac

0 👍 / 0 👎

www.mustangtech.com.au...art=0.html

Cheers,
Birchy...
Dodgy Bros. Customs

Suspect 67 - www.mustangtech.com.au.../t=52.html

scott66stang
Mustang King

0 👍 / 0 👎

If keeping the AU aircon in its original position as you have mentioned, the LH suspension tower clearance is an issue and unless you modify the tower in some way or have RRS suspension or similar with notched towers, you will need to move the engine forwards around 30mm or more. I suggest you purchase some ron morris engine mounts or fabricate some from the drawings we have in our tech section. www.mustangtech.com.au...id=16.html

This is a thread where we did a group buy and got a load of mounts laser cut. www.mustangtech.com.au...art=0.html

In my Fairstang thread i did originally modify the existing engine mounts and it worked ok, however with the above mentioned mounts you can drop the motor lower and move side to side for exhaust and steering clearances.
One good thing about moving the engine forward i was able to use the original mustang tail shaft without modification, otherwise it would of needed shortening.

Converting Rust to Something Drivable

66 Fastback Fairstang Project www.mustangtech.com.au...art=0.html
67 convertibuild project www.mustangtech.com.au...art=0.html
Thought Collecting Couch www.mustangtech.com.au...=1739.html
Caddy Wacked www.mustangtech.com.au...art=0.html

davegriffin
Junior Mustang

0 👍 / 0 👎

Or, you can do what I did and butcher modify the aircon bracket (as I didnt need the power steering).
I'll take a photo and post it later

nickcrow
Baby Mustang

0 👍 / 0 👎

Thanks guys for the replies, those engine mounts look like the go Scott is the gearbox you used the same as the one in the AU? i have been told the AU gearbox wont fit in the trans tunnel and i should swap it to a C4 I would rather use what I have. What did you use for the gearbox mount, would i be able to use the original mustang one or will I need to modify it or use something different?

One other question Scott ( nice build by the way) i see your using the complete wiring loom from the fairlane i was thinking about doing this with my AU but i was wondering the advantages over something like a painless or ez wiring loom?

www.amuzemedia.com

scott66stang
Mustang King

0 👍 / 0 👎

As far as i know Ford used the same BTR auto from EB-BF, a search on ebay shows the same service kit for all models but i cannot comfirm this. I did do a few minor mods to the tunnel to get the gearbox as high as possible, one was a rebate in the gearbox mount support in the tunnel to clear the gearbox breather. The other is a hump where the selector shaft swings, i did change the whole firewall for a right hand conversion but i think the tunnel opening is about the same, cant be certain.
I used an XY crossmember on the floor rails away from the original cross member mount but went to great lengths to make sure there was plenty of strength in that area. I have seen mounts just bolted through the rail with crush tubes but i believe they would eventually tear through the thin metal.

As far as wiring is concerned you can use the engine management harness with a smartlock bypass module but unless your using all the other stuff like trip computer, climate controll etc forget it coz its a real headfuck to keep the dash looking original and fitting in all the wiring.
The EB uses a seperate control unit and wiring harness for the gearbox whereas the following models it is incorporated in the ECU. Using the C4 would be alot easier option.

boofhead
Mustang King

0 👍 / 0 👎

I was partially involved (helping a friend) in an install of an NC fairlane EFI engine and BTR gearbox - no floor mods though selector linkage has been modified. I built, setup and set up the tune for a Megasquirt EFI computer for it - this removed the smartlock issue and allowed universal programmability of the tune. The gearbox is controlled by the separate BTR controller that came with the NC. Used very little from the original wiring loom (BTW it is a bitch to get all of the wiring out the NC). Used from the original wiring was only plugs and the set of wires for the gearbox controller to gearbox connections. The finished setup works quite well though finding all the information needed to complete the wiring did take some effort - Scott helped me directly and indirectly (though his build thread). I acknowledge this input was very helpful.

The easiest approach though would be to pull the EFI gear and use a carburettor and a C4. Old school is not nearly as bad as you would think and is far less complex and easy to maintain.

I will someday think of something clever to say.

shaun071
Senior Mustang

0 👍 / 0 👎

Sorry for the thread hijack, but is a/c compressor clearance an issue in a 69 coupe? I heard somewhere the engine bay was wider. I'm looking at using an eb-au engine and using the serpentine belt accessories as well. I'm still undecided about EFI or carb though.

scott66stang
Mustang King

0 👍 / 0 👎

shaun071 wrote
Sorry for the thread hijack, but is a/c compressor clearance an issue in a 69 coupe? I heard somewhere the engine bay was wider. I'm looking at using an eb-au engine and using the serpentine belt accessories as well. I'm still undecided about EFI or carb though.

Since nobody with better knowledge than me of later models hasnt chimed in yet, and going on info and pics of the shock towers on this site.
Im going to say im almost certain you wont have a problem as the engine bay would be wider and the bulge in the 66 towers where the compressor hits doesnt exist on a 69.

Even on a 66 i recon a 1" hammered dent/notch in the tower would give enough room from what i can remember. I think someone on here has done just that.

lukep6470
Mustang Star

0 👍 / 0 👎

Does the AU use a return fuel line or is the pump speed controlled? This could be another issue.

Pinto-Pete
Mustang King

0 👍 / 0 👎

lukep6470 wrote
Does the AU use a return fuel line or is the pump speed controlled? This could be another issue.

they run a return line..

shaun071
Senior Mustang

0 👍 / 0 👎

nickcrow wrote
Hi Guys, I am currently building a 65 mustang coupe I have done the RHD conversion using a retrorack powersteering kit and I have purchased a AU XR8 for the driveline. My question what modifications do I need to do to use the engine and gearbox from the AU XR8 im pretty sure its a series 1, I would like to retain the fuel injection if possible. Will the engine and gearbox fit right in?
will I need a different gearbox mount?
what do I need to do regarding the electrics for the EFi?
I want to have air conditioning in the stang aswell so I would like to run the compressor. Will the standard au pulley set up work or will i need to modify it?

Thanks in advance guys
Nick

I've done some research into using factory injection and there are some stand alone harnesses available that may simplify the wiring side of things. CAE enterprises here do a harness that uses the AU computer and I've seen harnesses from summit, painless and others for sale in the states using an 89-93 mustang computer, not sure about compatibility with AU sensors though as the AU engine is an explorer crate motor. oldfuelinjection.com has some good info but it is mainly based on using wrecking yard parts from US cars.

66STNG
Mustang Star

0 👍 / 0 👎

Nick crow,
The au v8 either the series 1,2 or 3 have an ecu and bcm that talk to each other, including the key. There is smart lock and you will require All the wiring harness and all the ancillary wiring ect.
However there is a way around it. You can use a J3 chip , it plugs into you ecu and you can do away with the bcm and all the other wiring. Basically you can have the engine as a stand alone set up. I am using a series 3 AU engine with an AODE and the ecu with the J 3 chip will run both. There is another option and just as good but a little dearer, and that is to refashion the ecu, it works the same as the J 3 chip..

66 basket case

All times are Australia/Sydney
Go to page 1, 2 Next

Jump to:

TopPostersToday
   123abc 

Shaunp 

lifeis4living 

nassi 

StephenSLR 

Husky65 

ComingEvents