No staff members are online!
We have received
page views since
July 27, 2010

Hits New Today: 7019
Hits New Yesterday: 31004

Server Time
25 April 2018 08:29:42 AEST (GMT +10)
Q&A > General Tech Advice > EFI intake baffle - install > Community Forums > Mustang Forum Australia - Mustang Tech

Forum Index > General Tech Advice

EFI intake baffle - install Reply to topic

Go to page Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 Next
gbx78
Mustang King

0 šŸ‘ / 0 šŸ‘Ž

is the way the engine requires breathing , directional?

i found this pic

S[_]SPECT
Mustang Maniac

0 šŸ‘ / 0 šŸ‘Ž

NA yes. Directionally . It doesnt matter..
That looks like the Chev orientation, Ford runs the PCV on the other side.. then the EFI motors run the PCV in the valley and filtered air side depends on orientation of the top plenum..

You need to keep in mind your end goal.. since you dont want to be running a traditional (see above) setup with the blower..
You're only source of vacuum is the filter side of the blower.. and even then its only as much as the pressure drop across the filter. (unless you install a vacuum pump)

You essentially need to seal the crankcase from the intake tract entirely.. else get on boost and watch your dipstick blowout..

BTW, do you have a pic of the rocker covers you intent on running? would help explain your train of thought..

Cheers,
Birchy...
Dodgy Bros. Customs

Suspect 67 - www.mustangtech.com.au.../t=52.html

gbx78
Mustang King

0 šŸ‘ / 0 šŸ‘Ž

S[_ wrote
SPECT"]NA yes. Directionally . It doesnt matter..
That looks like the Chev orientation, Ford runs the PCV on the other side.. then the EFI motors run the PCV in the valley and filtered air side depends on orientation of the top plenum..

You need to keep in mind your end goal.. since you dont want to be running a traditional (see above) setup with the blower..
You're only source of vacuum is the filter side of the blower.. and even then its only as much as the pressure drop across the filter. (unless you install a vacuum pump)

You essentially need to seal the crankcase from the intake tract entirely.. else get on boost and watch your dipstick blowout..

BTW, do you have a pic of the rocker covers you intent on running? would help explain your train of thought..

ok, so how would I block that PCV hole in the back of the intake.. as far as i got was the rubber grommet that goes in there then something "like" a PCV to plug it.. i searched alll nite (still now) looking for examples of how to block it .. people on other forums talk about it but noone actually says how to block it lol

here are my valve covers.. they are equally the same and i checked today they have a metal baffle undernearth the filler neck.

gbx78
Mustang King

0 šŸ‘ / 0 šŸ‘Ž

and im unsure how to get a 5/8" or larger hose from the valve covers and also be able to remove them to add oil..

all the valve cover caps i see have PCV's in them and a breather hose that is only 3/8 i think..

and do i still want a PCV in the valve covers? or just a direct hose to the catch can and let the breather on the catch can (which i think has a pcv aswell) do its thing.?

there would have to be a pcv somewhere (they are a 1 way valve arent they) otherwise i would imagine a vaccum leak.

having a little trouble getting my head around how i go applying all of the above .. i understand the idea and what its doing now .. but having trouble knowing what kinda parts i need to make it work with minimal fuss with my setup.

appologise if im doing everyones head in lol

'You can never test fire too many times.' - Hybrid

'You can never have too many gauges' -
Boofhead

S[_]SPECT
Mustang Maniac

0 šŸ‘ / 0 šŸ‘Ž

Manifold is alloy yeah?
Could you not fab a copy of that baffle to completely cover it and just tig it up? Seal it completely ?

You could probably use the existing filler hole as a breather, just use a push on filter, and remove the PCV and route a line to catch can / intake (infront of blower) for (mild) vacuum source.

Cheers,
Birchy...
Dodgy Bros. Customs

gbx78
Mustang King

0 šŸ‘ / 0 šŸ‘Ž

S[_ wrote
SPECT"]Manifold is alloy yeah?
Could you not fab a copy of that baffle to completely cover it and just tig it up? Seal it completely ?

You could probably use the existing filler hole as a breather, just use a push on filter, and remove the PCV and route a line to catch can / intake (infront of blower) for (mild) vacuum source.

yeah it is alloy. .. i guess so.. i havent put that baffle in yet incase of another idea.. i was thinking to perhaps use the PCV valve to block it in the grommet and just cap off the hose .. but unsure of the pressure and if this will essentially blow out the pcv out the back!!

im sorry, when you say "Existing filler hole" what are you referring to .. the valve cover hole?

S[_]SPECT
Mustang Maniac

0 šŸ‘ / 0 šŸ‘Ž

OK..
PCV = Postive Crankcase Ventilation..
The PCV valve is more than a one way valve.. it acts both ways depending on the pressure difference.. read that PDF you posted, it explains it pretty well.

The 'normal' way of doing it, is to pull the air through by using manifold vacuum.. the PCV valve 'controls' the vacuum leak.. but yes it is essentially a vacuum leak..

In a boosted application, you cant use traditional routing as the blower will put postive pressure on that side of the PCV valve and just close it..
The only vacuum source you have it that between the blower and the air filter.. there will be a slight pressure drop across the filter.. as that is how air is drawn throught.. by producing vacuum on the engine side..

Cheers,
Birchy...
Dodgy Bros. Customs

S[_]SPECT
Mustang Maniac

0 šŸ‘ / 0 šŸ‘Ž

Existing filler hole is the one shown in the pic above.. it also has a breather built into it.. pull that off and that is where you fill the oil.. no ?

On the other side is the PCV hole..
with a grommet in it.. and the PCV valve..
Pull the grommet and see what size that hole is.. if need be open it up to where you can fit a fitting of the size and type you need..

Basically, if you want to go to stage three or four of that CCV guide.. (I think) you'll need to ditch those covers..

Here is the filler neck on my covers..

Note, threaded neck with sealed cap.
Breather would normally be that pressed in line coming off the neck.
I dont have a breather, and instead run that line to air/oil separator and run the crankcase under vacuum.

Cheers,
Birchy...
Dodgy Bros. Customs

Last edited by S[_]SPECT on Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:25 pm; edited 1 time in total

gbx78
Mustang King

0 šŸ‘ / 0 šŸ‘Ž

S[_ wrote
SPECT"]OK..
PCV = Postive Crankcase Ventilation..
The PCV valve is more than a one way valve.. it acts both ways depending on the pressure difference.. read that PDF you posted, it explains it pretty well.

The 'normal' way of doing it, is to pull the air through by using manifold vacuum.. the PCV valve 'controls' the vacuum leak.. but yes it is essentially a vacuum leak..

In a boosted application, you cant use traditional routing as the blower will put postive pressure on that side of the PCV valve and just close it..
The only vacuum source you have it that between the blower and the air filter.. there will be a slight pressure drop across the filter.. as that is how air is drawn throught.. by producing vacuum on the engine side..

ahhhh ok .. thanks for explaining that .. lots of general terms thrown around and i was getting a little confused.

i did read what you said about in a blower application the PCV will close (the one in the back of the intake).. and thats why you need to release pressure elsewhere or you will blow seals and all sorts of nasty stuff

am i understand that correctly ? ill have a read of that pdf properly

gbx78
Mustang King

0 šŸ‘ / 0 šŸ‘Ž

S[_ wrote
SPECT"]Existing filler hole is the one shown in the pic above.. it also has a breather built into it.. pull that off and that is where you fill the oil.. no ?

On the other side is the PCV hole..
with a grommet in it.. and the PCV valve..
Pull the grommet and see what size that hole is.. if need be open it up to where you can fit a fitting of the size and type you need..

AHHHHH i have the duplicate valve cover on the other side with the same breather ... no PCV or grommet etc..

thats how the engine came (with a carby setup) .. the 2 valve covers are identical with the same push in breathers..

S[_]SPECT
Mustang Maniac

0 šŸ‘ / 0 šŸ‘Ž

Is / was there no line going the manifold / carb base ?

Cheers,
Birchy...
Dodgy Bros. Customs

gbx78
Mustang King

0 šŸ‘ / 0 šŸ‘Ž

S[_ wrote
SPECT"]Is / was there no line going the manifold / carb base ?

just went over some pics and the only hose that went to the base of the carb was a small hose and it went to the dsitributor .. that was it ..

gbx78
Mustang King

0 šŸ‘ / 0 šŸ‘Ž

i can also see som 3/8 size ports just behind the elec choke that were plugged up .. they appear at the base too

Boofhead

hybrid
Mustang King

0 šŸ‘ / 0 šŸ‘Ž

You're going to have to weld in some bugs to screw your breather fittings in... so if you wanted to, you could weld a plate over your existing PCV hole to block that.
Then just find a non- breathing filler cap. But again, you could also weld a plate inside the cap to stop it breathing if you need to.

gbx78
Mustang King

0 šŸ‘ / 0 šŸ‘Ž

found a way to block the pcv hole in the back of the intake which is also reverseable (removable).. this is how the guys in the US do it

expansion rubber plug (automotive grade that resists oil etc) which is about $15 off ebay .. or a freeze plug/welsh plug with appropriate size can go in with some gasket sealant .. however i like the idea of the expandable rubber plug as it comes in just the right size 1 1/8" and expands enough to make a seal. neat and tidy.

i might as well put the baffle in as i already have it so its there if the intake is every used in a factory type setup.

now just have to sort out those breathers on the valve covers to a catchcan etc..

Boofhead

All times are Australia/Sydney
Go to page Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 Next

Jump to:

TopPostersToday
   jbb 

Pinto-Pete 

Astro 

xpconnor 

ants