No staff members are online!
We have received
page views since
July 27, 2010

Hits New Today: 5682
Hits New Yesterday: 17632

Server Time
27 May 2018 07:58:45 AEST (GMT +10)
Q&A > General Tech Advice > Water Pump leak .. fixing > Community Forums > Mustang Forum Australia - Mustang Tech

Forum Index > General Tech Advice

Water Pump leak .. fixing Reply to topic

Go to page 1, 2 Next
gbx78
Mustang King

0 👍 / 0 👎

Hey guys ..

ok so when my engine was running in the car (now its out of the car) i had a small leak from the gasket of the water pump which i think was down the bottom. I had a mechanic friend ages ago when i got my car have a look and we stuck a mirror under and he said just need to take it off and replace the gasket .. he seemed sure it wasnt the water pump itself but more so the gasket ..

it did look like there was a gasket ontop of another gasket ( 2 of em) and perhaps theres where the problem was. Is there suppose to be a gasket between the timing chaing cover and the metal plate thats on the water pump and then a gasket between the metal plate and the water pump?

Anyway .. while the engine is out i thought id tackle it. Never done one before but doesnt seem too hard.

My question is .. is the crap thats inside normal .. what does it indicate? any underlining issues? do i just clean it? The water pump itself seems to be new or was replaced at some stage.

I was watching a video on youtube the guy DIDNT put a gasket between the timing chain cover and the water pump but he put the gasket between the water pump and what appears to be a metal plate on that covers the water pump.. which makes sense i guess as the water travels INSIDE this chamber doesnt it ?

sorry noob question.

Exhausted
Mustang Star

0 👍 / 0 👎

Clean the corrosion off & recheck timing cover for pitting, etc. Requires 2 gaskets, between pump, metal plate & timing cover. Thoroughly flush the cooling system, radiator etc & choose a better inhibitor / coolant.

gbx78
Mustang King

0 👍 / 0 👎

Exhausted wrote
Clean the corrosion off & recheck timing cover for pitting, etc. Requires 2 gaskets, between pump, metal plate & timing cover. Thoroughly flush the cooling system, radiator etc & choose a better inhibitor / coolant.

OK thanks mate. Should i replace both gaskets then .. or just the one between metal plate and timing cover

and what would be the equivalent aussie motor when looking for a gasket (was thinking going to repco to get it) mines a mid 80s mustang 302

trav68
Mustang Star

0 👍 / 0 👎

Why not do both whilst you are there cheap insurance.

THinking a 70s or 80s falcon with a windsor would be the same and grab something to dress the gasket ( permatex flexible sealer/form a gasket etc) especially around the water passages.

Trav

nassi
Mustang King

0 👍 / 0 👎

You may need to make your own gasket that goes between the pump and the plate, they come with a new pump but I havent sourced one on its own.
The other is readily available though.

gbx78
Mustang King

0 👍 / 0 👎

thanks guys ..

nassi you read my mind .. i was just about to ask about that... would i be best upon inspection then to just leave the existing one between the plate and the pump .. i know its better to just replace everything while im at it .. where can you buy gasket material to make your own?

trav .. yeah i have some flexible non hardening gasket sealant which i used on my diff and some fuel lines .. i assume that would be sufficient i think its #3 Loctite brand .. brush on.

'You can never test fire too many times.' - Hybrid

'You can never have too many gauges' -
Boofhead

jusTANG
PatCH the Platypus

0 👍 / 0 👎

nassi wrote
You may need to make your own gasket that goes between the pump and the plate, they come with a new pump but I havent sourced one on its own.
The other is readily available though.

was thinking I had to when I did mine, was told there was no such beast. But then again was also thinking it may have just been me :rotfl:

Cheers,
j

nassi
Mustang King

0 👍 / 0 👎

gasket material is available at repco, veales, covs and just about any auto shop mate. Personally I'd replace the water pump, as that little leak from the bottom is probably from the tell tale hole on the timing cover.
I find that once a pump has been used and then dries out it will often leak...

gbx78
Mustang King

0 👍 / 0 👎

nassi wrote
gasket material is available at repco, veales, covs and just about any auto shop mate. Personally I'd replace the water pump, as that little leak from the bottom is probably from the tell tale hole on the timing cover.
I find that once a pump has been used and then dries out it will often leak...

hmmmm interesting, ok, sorry so could be a possible hole on the timing cover then?.. might have to clean it all up and take a good look. id rather fix this properly now while the engine is out ..

which brings me to my next thing, engine was running ok before i took it out of the car, should i take anything else apart for quick inspection to see if anything needs to be looked at or fixed before it goes back in the car?

opinions, suggestions?

gbx78
Mustang King

0 👍 / 0 👎

it does look like the water pump was replaced .. as it doesnt look factory (by the shape and grooves compared to the manual i have for it) ..

'You can never test fire too many times.' - Hybrid

'You can never have too many gauges' -
Boofhead

nassi
Mustang King

0 👍 / 0 👎

No its not a hole in the timing cover, but look at the pic you posted above and directly above the balancer between the two little scallops in the timing cover you will see a little cut away area, this is the tell tale hole.
Sorry I'm crap at descriptions.

gbx78
Mustang King

0 👍 / 0 👎

nassi wrote
No its not a hole in the timing cover, but look at the pic you posted above and directly above the balancer between the two little scallops in the timing cover you will see a little cut away area, this is the tell tale hole.
Sorry I'm crap at descriptions.

ahhh yes i can see .. and from memory i would see a drop of coolant on the balancer .. but was unsure if it crept from above and made its way down or if it came directly from the bottom.. good spotting ..

and this couldnt be from the gasket failing or perhaps stuffed or something.. i guess i would only know after cleaning the surface up.

and if need be then a new timing cover? .. well i wanted to know about taking apart an engine .. i sure as hell got it!!!

gbx78
Mustang King

0 👍 / 0 👎

or perhaps just replace both.. which brings me to the next thing of water pumps.. HV verses standard?

ok upon more inspection, i see what u mean. there is a little break or scollop as you described at the very bottom and the gasket provisions for that .. so its possible the gasket isnt doin its job down there and the water is leaking out? or do the timing covers in fact fail at these points where the gasket can no longer seal properly anyway.

i will clean up today and post another pic. thanks for all your replies. i wont go get a gasket just yet

nassi
Mustang King

0 👍 / 0 👎

Your timing cover is probably fine, Ive seen much worse.
its probably just a gasket, Ive just not had any luck with 2nd hand pumps.

gbx78
Mustang King

0 👍 / 0 👎

nassi wrote
Your timing cover is probably fine, Ive seen much worse.
its probably just a gasket, Ive just not had any luck with 2nd hand pumps.

all good ill clean it up .. is there any no no's in what cleaning solution to use to clean it up .. just a degreaser? thinners, metho, turps? . .just water?

All times are Australia/Sydney
Go to page 1, 2 Next

Jump to:

TopPostersToday
   Shaunp 

hybrid 

ozbilt 

Roger 

nassi 

malscar 

LatestForumPosts
Last 10 Forum Messages