No staff members are online!
We have received
page views since
July 27, 2010

Hits New Today: 10977
Hits New Yesterday: 13967

Server Time
20 July 2018 16:32:53 AEST (GMT +10)
Mustang Technical Discussion > Mustang Projects > Scarlet > Community Forums > Mustang Forum Australia - Mustang Tech

Forum Index > Mustang Projects

Scarlet Reply to topic

Go to page Previous 1, 2, 332, 33, 34140, 141, 142 Next
gbx78
Mustang King

0 👍 / 0 👎

righttttt well .. had a few hours this afternoon.. decided to pull the rear out in prep for the new tcp stuff .. i looked at the front and never pulled front suspension out before then looked at the rear and ive done that before so i went the easy option!

well i tell ya .. the mustang workshop manual comes in very handy when you cant see certain things cause the car is only 1 or 2 feet off the ground.. like the pin that holds the hand brake to the bracket .. i used a camera to also see what was behind cause i couldnt see and my forte nox of car support blocks and stands was in the way .. i knew it would bite me in the butt .. anywhoo got there ... thanks for those who replied to my earlier posts re fuel tank and car support.

did it all myself except wheeling the diff out which had my dad and uncle to help.

anyway im surprised i didnt take a before shot .. but here is the after shot ..

its pretty clean where the fuel tank was no rust or anything .. not sure if thats a typical rust area.. original paint

i tell ya the air ratchet came in handy .. let the air do the work Very Happy

gbx78
Mustang King

0 👍 / 0 👎

after a cleaning up the work area ready for the next step ..

this is what a fastback would look like in "Back to the Future" as a hover car .. even without wheels or rear end it still looks tough Very Happy

Shaunp
Mustang King

0 👍 / 0 👎

Looks like a good solid shell you've done well. Go buy a propper jack though. What finish are you doing under the car? You have to have them tidy on the bottom side, particularly if you have dropped the loot on the flash underpinnings.

gbx78
Mustang King

0 👍 / 0 👎

Shaunp wrote
Looks like a good solid shell you've done well. Go buy a propper jack though. What finish are you doing under the car? You have to have them tidy on the bottom side, particularly if you have dropped the loot on the flash underpinnings.

thanks mate, yeah i know that jack is nothing special just what i had.. i intend to get a good one.

just a satin black .. but ill leave that up to steve and my wallet :D.. i have to be practical as its under the car and i want to drive it and not worry.. i would have liked a body colour (non clear coat) underneath similar to steves but i dont think my budget will handle that if i want to finish this thing in my lifetime .. but first is to get the body straight and happy then ill play it by ear.

ps .. the old diff is waiting for you or your mate if they are still interested. let me know. im ok with it to sit until you are ready .. its covered and safe.

Shaunp
Mustang King

0 👍 / 0 👎

I'd stone guard it then with black solvent based stuff prior to fitting the suspension. No big deal just clean it and shoot it. Buy stone gaurd gun cheap as and some tins of stone chip, in black solvent based, you can do this yourself no trouble. Gav still want the axle, I'll let him know it's out and he can sort it with you.

gbx78
Mustang King

0 👍 / 0 👎

Shaunp wrote
I'd stone guard it then with black solvent based stuff prior to fitting the suspension. No big deal just clean it and shoot it. Buy stone gaurd gun cheap as and some tins of stone chip, in black solvent based, you can do this yourself no trouble. Gav still want the axle, I'll let him know it's out and he can sort it with you.

ok coool

gbx78
Mustang King

0 👍 / 0 👎

this pic doesnt show much different to the other .. cept exhaust and headers are off .. next fuel line and elect fuel pump and rear brake lines while i still have room to move in the rear.. then the new suspension and diff and brakes will go in just to keep it a rolling shell .. the push it outside and engine /gb comes out and all that dicky left over stuff before it goes to steve for car-o-liner and blasting and see what the next step will be .. hopefully no big expensive surprises .. im counting on this thing being fairly good ..

question .. do i need to plug up the exhaust ports with rags or anything?? to stop anything crawling in there?

CREDITS go to my dad for helping me get the exhaust off the headers.. what a bitch the attachment bolts were in the worst positions but he brought over his specialty tools and we got them off..

nassi
Mustang King

0 👍 / 0 👎

I'd block them off. Anything crawling in there isnt really a problem but if something solid found its way in and got past an open valve it wouldnt be nice.
Cheap insurance.

Shaunp
Mustang King

0 👍 / 0 👎

No just leave it mate it will be fine, pull the engine next. Engines spitt most things out. Jamb a rag up there if you are concerned. But you'll have the engine out in an hour or so.

gbx78
Mustang King

0 👍 / 0 👎

i would have liked to get the engine out next but im blocked in at the back of garage and the car is only on 2 wheels .. so ill put the rear in so its self standing/rolling and push it out and then pull out the engine. yeah shouldnt take long .. getting there .. really starting to take "unshape" Very Happy ..

'You can never test fire too many times.' - Hybrid

'You can never have too many gauges' -
Boofhead

soc123_au
Mustang King

0 👍 / 0 👎

Only a few more backward steps & then it can move forward. I think this build will be a bit unexciting on the chopping it to shreds stage compared to some of the others. Good news for the cost side of things & the speed in getting it over the line.

Album Link Below.

s608.photobucket.com/p...s_Prestige

gbx78
Mustang King

0 👍 / 0 👎

soc123_au wrote
Only a few more backward steps & then it can move forward. I think this build will be a bit unexciting on the chopping it to shreds stage compared to some of the others. Good news for the cost side of things & the speed in getting it over the line.

well to be honest i dont have the stomach for seeing it chopped to shreds!! after seeing the other threads!!.. i wouldnt sleep for weeks!! ..

yes it will be a bit unexciting .. but more so exciting for me!! Very Happy

ozbilt
Site Admin

0 👍 / 0 👎

gbx78 wrote
soc123_au wrote

well to be honest i dont have the stomach for seeing it chopped to shreds!! after seeing the other threads!!.. i wouldnt sleep for weeks!! ..

Bring it here on the way to Steve's .... Poke

I have no issue slicing them up ....... Laughing

Kerry

Not all heroes wear capes, some wear scuba tanks and swim by feel ........

"Thank you Boofhead for the wonderful memories"

Last edited by ozbilt on Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:42 am; edited 1 time in total

gbx78
Mustang King

0 👍 / 0 👎

ozbilt wrote
gbx78 wrote
soc123_au wrote

Bring it here on the way to Steve's .... Poke

I have no issue slicing them up ....... Laughing

eeeep!!! HELP! SOS!

gbx78
Mustang King

0 👍 / 0 👎

fuel lines and rear brake lines are out.. boy i tell ya its a biatch not having the luxury of a hoist to get to where u want to get to and be able to remove stuff... *Sigh* anyway steve maybe i can hire ur hoist for an hour or while its on the rotiserie before my car comes back so i can put in the fuel line and rear brake line easily .. anyway not there yet..

so i got my tcp cradle in .. boy another biatch when its just yourself trying to maneuver a heavy thing and then pin it with some clamps and bolts .. i looked like a monkey with my feet and knees in the air ..

its in .. i measured a million times to make sure it was square as per the instructions .. what i learnt was the rubber bump stops for the wheels arent in the same place which is why the tcp rail brackets look diferently spaced on each side .. i kept racking my brain as to why it "looked" like it was out .. everywhere else was square and measured correctly about 10inchs from the shock support bracing bit to the bracket .. gee o mighty took me a while to "realise" that somthing else on the car might not be straight or in the same location as the other side .. as long as it was square thats the main thing ..

havent drilled the holes just yet .. as i want to measure it again and again hahaha and ill have my dad come and measure it again for me before i drill the 2 holes .. i just dont want to put the hole in the wrong spot!!!

ALso one for steve.. theres a gap between the bracket and the rail because at the very top wher eit bolts onto the cradle the top of the bolt hits the sheet metal so wont go in any further.. i guess ill just make do with what i got and if any sheet metal mods are required you can assess it then

also a side note .. i recal the ol XD tailshaft to be pretty heavy and it wasnt a 9" tailshaft and i recall seeing some painted rings at one end? like red or yellow.. i dont know what mustangs are like ..but when i pulled my tailshaft out it was light as a feather .. like noticeably light.. didnt look heavy duty or larger diameter .. but it was extremely light.. looks painted too .. is this expected from a mustang tailshaft? i guess its much shorter than an XD so would be much lighter aswell.

All times are Australia/Sydney
Go to page Previous 1, 2, 332, 33, 34140, 141, 142 Next

Jump to:

TopPostersToday
   hybrid 

Husky65 

Dwayne 

Shaunp 

jbb 

nassi 

ComingEvents
There are no events scheduled in the next 14 days.
LatestForumPosts
Last 10 Forum Messages
Looks like the block is cracked - Never, ever buy Dart
Last post by Ausjacko in General Tech Advice on Jul 20, 2018 14:08:53

hybrids 1966 Coupe Project
Last post by jbb in Mustang Projects on Jul 20, 2018 13:06:33

Husky's 65 Restomod
Last post by Husky65 in Mustang Projects on Jul 20, 2018 12:47:00

Narrowing an Exploder diff
Last post by Dwayne in General Tech Advice on Jul 20, 2018 08:02:04

1970 Ford Mustang convertible
Last post by Chux in Mustangs for Sale on Jul 19, 2018 21:17:31