No staff members are online!
We have received
page views since
July 27, 2010

Hits New Today: 19912
Hits New Yesterday: 19542

Server Time
23 April 2018 21:10:22 AEST (GMT +10)
Q&A > General Tech Advice > Motor build, opinions please. > Community Forums > Mustang Forum Australia - Mustang Tech

Forum Index > General Tech Advice

Motor build, opinions please. Reply to topic

Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 713, 14, 15 Next
nassi
Mustang King

0 👍 / 0 👎

I have taken delivery of a NOS AUIII XR8 roller block and rotating assy.
I'd like opinions on head and cam combo's. This motor will end up in my convertible so wont be a race car, may do a few passes at the strip once a year but thats all.
I'll probably retain about 3:1 diff ratio and the trans is a C4.
Staying with a carb.
Thanks for any input.
cheers

JC074
Mustang Star

0 👍 / 0 👎

Ill take ur old donk if u dont want it Nassi Smile

Im Back!

boofhead
Mustang King

0 👍 / 0 👎

You will get many opinions though below is what I would do;

Assuming your leaving it as a 302

Heads: There are many options and many brands a quite good though for a number of reasons I have a preference for the TW heads. For a 302:

www.summitracing.com/p...-51400002/

Cam: Harder choice though given your 3:1 ratio. So somewhere toward/around the 220 @ 50 thou lift (Maybe a little more on exhaust).

One option:

www.summitracing.com/p...-51403001/

Second option:

www.summitracing.com/p...-51014LUN/

Third option (which I think is the best option):

www.summitracing.com/p...-35-349-8/

a bit more go

www.summitracing.com/p...-35-351-8/

You will need many other bits e.g. gaskets, molly pushrods, roller rockers etc so better again might be a top end kit

I will someday think of something clever to say.

Cameron
Mustang Star

0 👍 / 0 👎

Someone is selling a whole bunch of go fast bits for that motor on gumtree at the moment. Not a site i usually frequent - but i was having a gander at work today at, well, just random crap.

But Nassi - your old motor certainly looked the part and didnt it take you all the way to adelaide? So it was reliable. Why the change mate?

nassi
Mustang King

0 👍 / 0 👎

JC074 wrote
Ill take ur old donk if u dont want it Nassi Smile

Sorry Jase, not for sale. Very Happy

nassi
Mustang King

0 👍 / 0 👎

Thanks Boofhead, thats the sort of info I need. I've looked at some packages but always have questions. I guess I now have somwhere to get them answered.

and yes standard stroke
cheers

Last edited by nassi on Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:55 am; edited 1 time in total

nassi
Mustang King

0 👍 / 0 👎

Cameron wrote
Someone is selling a whole bunch of go fast bits for that motor on gumtree at the moment. Not a site i usually frequent - but i was having a gander at work today at, well, just random crap.

But Nassi - your old motor certainly looked the part and didnt it take you all the way to adelaide? So it was reliable. Why the change mate?

Thanks Cam, the old motor is fine and will probably find its way into another project... if and when.
The new motor is just something I want to do............ and I didnt want to do it with someone elses hand me downs Very Happy
cheers.

Jethro
Baby Mustang

0 👍 / 0 👎

Doesn't the au3 motor already have the explorer manifold and GT40P heads???
If you wanted to spend as little as possible some 1.7 roller rockers and decent headers should see you up around 200kw (270hp), though headers may be and issue on the p heads???

S[_]SPECT
Mustang Maniac

0 👍 / 0 👎

Is only a shortblock.. no heads and manifold..

nassi, what do you have in the way of front acessories?

Balancer there ? Timing cover (assuming no gear as no cam)
I've not seen an AU3 block, but given it uses coilpacks, is the cam sensor hole the same size as normal for dizzy?
Std timing cover would have no provision for mech fuel pump..
Std water pump would have inlet on other side.

Cheers,
Birchy...
Dodgy Bros. Customs

Suspect 67 - www.mustangtech.com.au.../t=52.html

nassi
Mustang King

0 👍 / 0 👎

Hi Birchy, no front end. In fact lets just call it a short, short block. Very Happy
All I have is the block, crank, rods and pistons as assembled by Ford/Tickford.
So in some ways a clean canvas.
I've yet to check all the orifice. Thats a Saturday job I hope.
cheers

boofhead
Mustang King

0 👍 / 0 👎

The Distributor hole is the same on all of the blocks. There are differences in the various front covers though the years though it should not be an issue. Make sure you use ARP rod bolts as the Windsor greatest weakness is the skinny weak rod bolts.

The crank will be a 50oz balance so make sure you have the correct dampener and flexplate.

As far as the heads - no stock head is any where near as good as a decent modern head. A stock head = stock power. You are starting with a great base and leaves you lots of choices.

Happy to answer any questions.

nassi
Mustang King

0 👍 / 0 👎

boofhead wrote
The Distributor hole is the same on all of the blocks. There are differences in the various front covers though the years though it should not be an issue. Make sure you use ARP rod bolts as the Windsor greatest weakness is the skinny weak rod bolts.

The crank will be a 50oz balance so make sure you have the correct dampener and flexplate.

As far as the heads - no stock head is any where near as good as a decent modern head. A stock head = stock power. You are starting with a great base and leaves you lots of choices.

Happy to answer any questions.

Thanks again, never even thought abaout the rod bolts and would have left it as it is. Thanks for the tip, looks like a first step.
cheers

nassi
Mustang King

0 👍 / 0 👎

Boofhead, do all the twisted wedge windsor heads use the stock exhaust manifold bolt patern, or are they available in the wider spacing like the Ford Z heads and the Dart heads?
thanks mate.

boofhead
Mustang King

0 👍 / 0 👎

There are two points as far as the exhaust goes

1) Is the exhaust located in the same place. For example, the TW170 because it uses a clevo like design can get high flow in the exhaust without relocating the exhaust. The most common design change you will find (when they do not change the valve angle) is to raise the exhaust port by 1/2 inch. This is not alot though it can be an issue with bolting up existing exhaust setups or it can cause header clearance issues (usually under the car).

So: the standard TW range keeps the exhaust located in the factory position while the majority of other performance heads move the exhaust port higher. The TW High Port range combines the Value angle change and the higher located port.

2) Secondly point is the exhaust header mounting hole locations. As your obviously aware the factory exhaust ports are quite small hence the bolts holes are also close together. This can be an issue if you want to run headers that have primaries that are quite wide. Some after market heads provide two sets of holes (if they can) to allow either. The standard TW range provides the factory holes only. In my mind this is find as the wider hole pattern allows you to bolt up a part that does little to further performance potential. The port is smaller so it results in a high speed flow so having a sudden deep edge as gas passes out the exhaust port is not going to help - might actually be a hindrance. If your going for large power then your going to use the larger heads so high ports are your choice - then very larger primaries might be in order. My view: 302 1 5/8 p , 347/351 1 3/4 primaries, 400 / 427 2 inch primaries.

So; same as above the High ports are designed for (and should be used) in the large strokers so if your building a 408 (which your not) then I do not think you do not need so worry about wider mounting holes for your headers (though already have a set of headers).

Hope this helps.

nassi
Mustang King

0 👍 / 0 👎

Thanks mate, it was point 2 I was considering. The factory bolt holes are very close to the port on the TW heads, which makes headers a pain to make and install. I'll check the size of the primaries on the cars we have running TW heads.
I was considering using Ford Racing "Z" heads to get around this, plus there may be a complete setup available at a good price.
cheers

All times are Australia/Sydney
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 713, 14, 15 Next

Jump to:

TopPostersToday
   Husky65 

cage 

Dwayne 

geoff289 

lukep6470 

hybrid 

LatestForumPosts