No staff members are online!
We have received
page views since
July 27, 2010

Hits New Today: 7494
Hits New Yesterday: 11007

Server Time
24 October 2018 16:20:27 AEDT (GMT +11)
Q&A > General Tech Advice > front brakes upgrade 66 stang advice > Community Forums > Mustang Forum Australia - Mustang Tech

Forum Index > General Tech Advice

front brakes upgrade 66 stang advice Reply to topic

tceddia
Senior Mustang

0 👍 / 0 👎

Hey all,

Just about to start on the front brakes. Wanted to change them from drums to disks but I'm not sure how to go about it. Any advice?? I don't need brand new everything. I heard that you can take them off a falcon? But does that mean the whole front axle? How much do you think I'm looking at?

Thanks in advance

Smile

66 c-code mustang coupe
289ci engine

S[_]SPECT
Mustang Maniac

0 👍 / 0 👎

I havent seen any info on falcon swaps for pre 67 cars, so cant really comment..
However, keep in mind, anything non factory will require engineer sign off (so may not work out cheaper if that is your motivation for using falcon parts).

Cheers,
Birchy...
Dodgy Bros. Customs

Suspect 67 - www.mustangtech.com.au.../t=52.html

tceddia
Senior Mustang

0 👍 / 0 👎

Ahh I see, but if I get a conversion kit I should be ok?

66 c-code mustang coupe
289ci engine

jusTANG
PatCH the Platypus

0 👍 / 0 👎

Sign off may depend on the State, so best do some checking as when I had the Fairlane disc's on the 66 they went straight through rego natzi's here in the ACT and car had new Vic rego when I purchased it.

Cheers,
j

jcmc
Baby Mustang

0 👍 / 0 👎

To use Falcon brakes you need Falcon spindles, and apparently fitting them to a pre-67 car will introduce incorrect geometry that will result in bump steer. How much and how bad I cant comment on.

From my research the best way to do it seems to be to get a SSBC kit that includes all the factory components- 11in rotors, 4 piston Kelsey Hayes (copy) calipers, brackets, etc.

Seems to me that way you know everything is "right" for your car.

tceddia
Senior Mustang

0 👍 / 0 👎

Thanks all,

I'll look into getting a conversion kit from somewhere here in Melbourne. I think mustangs of Melbourne have some sort of a kit that will work. At least I won't have to engineer anything

66 c-code mustang coupe
289ci engine

Shaunp
Mustang King

0 👍 / 0 👎

You have to beend the steering arms if you use falcon stubs on pre67 to correct bump steer

boofhead
Mustang King

0 👍 / 0 👎

Shaun is right (as expected) and this is what I have had done on my 65FB to return it to factory geometry.

I will someday think of something clever to say.

ozbilt
Site Admin

0 👍 / 0 👎

65-6 drum brake spindles are the same as the disk spindles. You just need the caliper plate, disks, calipers & flex lines. Then add a booster & get a dual master cylinder & separate the front & rear lines with a proportioning valve on the rear line.

That way you do the conversion without messing around with suspension & wheel alignment.

Kerry

"Thank you Boofhead for the wonderful memories"

scott66stang
Mustang King

0 👍 / 0 👎

ozbilt wrote
65-6 drum brake spindles are the same as the disk spindles. You just need the caliper plate, disks, calipers & flex lines. Then add a booster & get a dual master cylinder & separate the front & rear lines with a proportioning valve on the rear line.

That way you do the conversion without messing around with suspension & wheel alignment.
Unless its a 6cyl 4 stud setup incase anyone else reading this for info. V8 spindles are the same

Converting Rust to Something Drivable

66 Fastback Fairstang Project www.mustangtech.com.au...art=0.html
67 convertibuild project www.mustangtech.com.au...art=0.html
Thought Collecting Couch www.mustangtech.com.au...=1739.html
Caddy Wacked www.mustangtech.com.au...art=0.html

moe
Mustang King

0 👍 / 0 👎

I have a complete setup here in the ACT, off a '66; Spindles, rotors, calipers, brake hoses. discs could do with machining Will be in Melb tomorrow if interested.

ozbilt
Site Admin

0 👍 / 0 👎

scott66stang wrote
ozbilt wrote

Unless its a 6cyl 4 stud setup incase anyone else reading this for info. V8 spindles are the same

Oops, my bad...... Cement

Kerry

"Thank you Boofhead for the wonderful memories"

MrsBLKPNY
Junior Mustang

0 👍 / 0 👎

This is the kit we do!!!

It is great kit that has everything you need just to unbolt yours and bolt this in! Very Straight forward!
No need to worry about trying to match up anything! And all brand New!
We have sold plenty of these kits and have not had any problems with them! Call us if you have any further questions. 03 97828850 0438351400

COMPATABILITY: This kit is compatible with 5 lug 63-69 US Falcon/Comet (60-62 as well with 63-65 control arm replacement and 8 cylinder type spindles), 62-69 US Fairlane, 65-73 Mustang, 67-73 Cougar, Maverick/Comet, and some Torino. This kit installs onto existing V8 drum brake type spindles. The spindles are not included. Users with 6 cylinder cars will need to acquire and install 8 cylinder type spindles.

CONTENT: The kit includes everything needed to swap out your front drum brakes for OE type "KH" Kelsey-Hayes type 4 piston caliper front disc brakes originally found on 1965-1967 V8 Mustang and other 60's Ford cars. All new parts including a dust shield kit, caliper brackets, corrosion protected performance 4 piston calipers, performance ceramic brake pads, hose brackets and attachment hardware, adjustable proportioning valve, residual pressure valve, wheel bearings, wheel seals, caliper attachment hardware, wheel attachment hardware, dust caps, performance slotted rotors with bearing races pre installed, Grade 8 attachment bolts, thread lockers, anti-sieze grease for the brake fittings, caliper lube, and wheel bearing grease. Note that you will need to adapt or re-fab your hard brake lines to accommodate the proportioning valve, the residual pressure valve.

SELECTION CONSIDERATIONS: This kit is ideal for users with 5 lug 63-69 Falcon, Mustang, Fairlane, Torino, Cougar. The kit installs onto the existing spindles and thus is an easy mechanical install that does not affect the wheel alignment. This choice is also uses OE spec replacement parts with 65-67 applications. Most original V8 type14" wheels will fit this conversion. This is the kit that you should choose if you desire to use your original wheels and/or maintain "originality" with 65-67 applications.

This kit is $1250 plus $90 for the dual circuit master cylinder shown.

Add $250 to the brake kit price, if you want to add a Power Booster and master cylinder conversion for 66,

or $350 for a 67 - 69 (includes auto or Manual Brake Pedal, with pedal pad and stainless trim).

Brake kits don't come with hoses, these are easily sourced locally, if you need them to be marked ADR approved.
We do have new Braided hoses to suit, but these are made in the USA, so DO NOT come with ADR approval. These are $100 pair.

We can supply the ADR approved hoses, in Rubber or Braid, if required.

For Forum users who buy the Disc Brake kit, and the Booster Kit, , we will deliver to Perth, Adelaide, Brisbane, Sydney Canberra, Hobart or Melbourne for FREE! Other places get discounted shipping. Insurance is extra, if required.

Living the Dream Working with what I love!

www.custommustangs.com.au
We stock a large range of stock for all models.
Feel free to contact us if you have any questions or enquiries.
sales @ custommustangs.com.au
03 9782 8850
0438 351 400
2/14 Lakewood Blvd
Carrum Downs Vic 3201

blkpny
Mustang Star

0 👍 / 0 👎

The Mustangs of Melbourne kit will need an engineers certificate, because you are using fabricated brackets for the callipers etc etc.
An original or repro of original system won't need an engineers cert.

Resto-Mod & Repro Mustang Parts, from the biggest & best suppliers in the Biz. For a sample of what we have, check out www.custommustangs.com.au if you don't see it there, give us a call 03 9782 8850 0438351400
Or stop into our Showroom 2/14 Lakewood Blvd, Carrum Downs
Mustangs are Addictive!
66 Coupe 418w C4 3.50 9" Convo's 10.9@122 FOR SALE
94 SN95 Coupe Supercharged V6 Daily
65 Coupe Project

All times are Australia/Sydney

Jump to:

TopPostersToday
   Edz66Vert 

jbb 

hybrid 

Nuts