No staff members are online!
We have received
page views since
July 27, 2010

Hits New Today: 9860
Hits New Yesterday: 18451

Server Time
27 April 2018 11:13:46 AEST (GMT +10)
Q&A > General Tech Advice > AOD shifter B&M , Hurst etc.. > Community Forums > Mustang Forum Australia - Mustang Tech

Forum Index > General Tech Advice

AOD shifter B&M , Hurst etc.. Reply to topic

Go to page 1, 2 Next
gbx78
Mustang King

0 👍 / 0 👎

Hi Guys

This is repeat for some of you but i have 67 fastback project car in the process of being on its way here.. but until then im doing lots of research with things i need and what i want to do .. so im not flying blind. Just getting a car has been a year in themaking.. making sure if its something i want to do or not.. anyhoooo

Ive been told it has a later model 302 roller cam engine with some work done to it and a AOD (not sure if its AODE or just AOD) transmission

So i need advice on the following:

Im sure most of you have manuals and down the track i may go down that path when i change running gear but as part of the project im going to use what ive got and just be happy to cruise in an auto for now anyway.. i understand the AOD is a 4speed auto with OD .. the last hurst shifter i had only had 3 speeds 1,2,D .. i assume if the shifter is for AOD then it would have 1,2,3,D? is that how it works?

* so which "shifter" do you guys use or have seen or have had experience with that would suit the AOD and which one would fit in a console.. .. see below point

* currently no interior in the car (no console etc..) now i was thinking of getting one of those Hump hugger cruiser consoles with the 2 cup holders would an aftermarket shifter fit??

Cheers

moe
Mustang King

0 👍 / 0 👎

AOD - you can use the stock shifter from your '67 mustang.
Not sure on the AODE.

gbx78
Mustang King

0 👍 / 0 👎

moe wrote
AOD - you can use the stock shifter from your '67 mustang.
Not sure on the AODE.

maybe im not understanding correctly but wouldnt the stock shifter from teh 67 mustang have only 3 positions for forward/drive gear ? 1,2,D? i thought thats why i would be best getting an aftermarket shifter to suit 1,2,3,D?

im not familiar with how it works etc.. ive been a C4 man in the past so what im asking might sound dumb cause me no understandy hehe

moe
Mustang King

0 👍 / 0 👎

You still use the 1-2-D shifter, but it is set up to suit the AOD box; From memory, 1=first, 2=second OR third; and the D selects the appropriate gear, 1-2-D-OD

gbx78
Mustang King

0 👍 / 0 👎

moe wrote
You still use the 1-2-D shifter, but it is set up to suit the AOD box; From memory, 1=first, 2=second OR third; and the D selects the appropriate gear, 1-2-D-OD

Ohhhh i seeee .. i thought perhaps there was an extra selector like on my dads old EA falcon had 1,2,3,D .. i thought maybe it was a similar gb.

cheers for that.

EDIT: this is why i thought it was 1,2,3,D ..

www.ebay.com.au/itm/Co...4cf8455734

the picture shows the selectors for 1,2,3,D .. im not sure which year my AOD is from .. but thats why i thought that.

bages
Mustang Star

0 👍 / 0 👎

As far as hump huggers go I pretty sure they go behind the shifter and would not interfere with a stock or aftermarket one. (providing you arent running a stock console) As the aftermarket ones are cable operated you have more options for placement along the trans tunnel - as long as you can reach it !!

Not sure on Hurst but B&M make a 4 speed shifter to suit AOD's - I think Hybrid's build thread has a pick of his - B&M Hammer? (Im sure hurst would make a competitor to it)

cage
Mustang King

0 👍 / 0 👎

Steve from St mary's (soc123_au) has an AOD. Send him a PM and he will tell you all about them. He is running a Quicksilver Pro shifter.

"The simple answer is, even if I have decided I still don't know what to do."

gbx78
Mustang King

0 👍 / 0 👎

bages wrote
As far as hump huggers go I pretty sure they go behind the shifter and would not interfere with a stock or aftermarket one. (providing you arent running a stock console)

Not sure on Hurst but B&M make a 4 speed shifter to suit AOD's - I think Hybrid's build thread has a pick of his - B&M Hammer? (Im sure hurst would make a competitor to it)

Hi thanks, yeah isnt the Hump hugger "Cruiser" model a full length console that goes over the shifter area, and has an opening for it.

On the B&M website it shows the "Hammer" model with a 4 speed selector L,2,3,D for AOD trannies (C4 requires an install kit).. its a little confusing :/

Ill find and check Hybrids build thread.. cheers for that

gbx78
Mustang King

0 👍 / 0 👎

cage wrote
Steve from St mary's (soc123_au) has an AOD. Send him a PM and he will tell you all about them. He is running a Quicksilver Pro shifter.

Ahhhh coool thanks for that .. will do!.

bages
Mustang Star

0 👍 / 0 👎

Just checked his thread and couldnt see it - he must have posted it in another spot - if I find it I will link it to here Smile

gbx78
Mustang King

0 👍 / 0 👎

bages wrote
Just checked his thread and couldnt see it - he must have posted it in another spot - if I find it I will link it to here Smile

thanks for that. Very Happy

S[_]SPECT
Mustang Maniac

0 👍 / 0 👎

Almost any aftermarket shifter is not going to fit a console out of the box...
You might get lucky with an aftermarket console, however I doubt it.

Steve had to drop his quicksilver into the tunnel to fit his console, as did I with my Lokar .. However they are both factory consoles..
You may have a little extra height in an aftermarket one..
Perhaps someone can confirm that?

Cheers,
Birchy...
Dodgy Bros. Customs

Suspect 67 - www.mustangtech.com.au.../t=52.html

gbx78
Mustang King

0 👍 / 0 👎

S[_ wrote
SPECT"]Almost any aftermarket shifter is not going to fit a console out of the box...
You might get lucky with an aftermarket console, however I doubt it.

Steve had to drop his quicksilver into the tunnel to fit his console, as did I with my Lokar .. However they are both factory consoles..
You may have a little extra height in an aftermarket one..
Perhaps someone can confirm that?

yeah i expect some bits may need adjusting trimming or excluding.. i recall the XD i had .. i basically just had the hurst shifter with just a home made leather boot in order for it to fit and look good.

hybrid
Mustang King

0 👍 / 0 👎

I've got the B&M Hammer partially fitted to mine.
The AOD uses the regular 3 speed shift pattern, so you can use the standard shifter if you like. As has been stated, two gears share the same position on the shifter. What I read is that if you want to hold it in the gears, you put it in position 1, shift up to second, then pull it back to the original position again to hold it in second.. then when you want to shift to 3rds, you knock it back up again.

With the Hammer shifter, it's universal for many gearboxes, so it comes with 3 and 4 position inserts for the housing, but the AOD only uses 3.

gbx78
Mustang King

0 👍 / 0 👎

hybrid wrote
I've got the B&M Hammer partially fitted to mine.
The AOD uses the regular 3 speed shift pattern, so you can use the standard shifter if you like. As has been stated, two gears share the same position on the shifter. What I read is that if you want to hold it in the gears, you put it in position 1, shift up to second, then pull it back to the original position again to hold it in second.. then when you want to shift to 3rds, you knock it back up again.

With the Hammer shifter, it's universal for many gearboxes, so it comes with 3 and 4 position inserts for the housing, but the AOD only uses 3.

ahhhh ok ..coolio ..cheers

All times are Australia/Sydney
Go to page 1, 2 Next

Jump to:

TopPostersToday
   Dwayne 

66STNG 

cage 

ozbilt 

LatestForumPosts
Last 10 Forum Messages

Paint advice