No staff members are online!
We have received
page views since
July 27, 2010

Hits New Today: 5175
Hits New Yesterday: 13105

Server Time
23 October 2018 10:06:42 AEDT (GMT +11)
Mustang Technical Discussion > Mustang Projects > Edz 66 Convertible > Community Forums > Mustang Forum Australia - Mustang Tech

Forum Index > Mustang Projects

Edz 66 Convertible Reply to topic

Go to page Previous 1, 2, 320, 21 22 23, 24, 25, 26 Next
Husky65
Mustang Star

0 👍 / 0 👎

What else is on that fuse?

If it's just the lights, there must be a 12v light feed going to the switched side of the lighting system somewhere in the interior lighting system.

Last edited by Husky65 on Fri Jul 13, 2018 6:13 pm; edited 1 time in total

ozbilt
Site Admin

1 👍 / 0 👎

Interior lights also switched on by turning the headlight knob. Turn it anti clockwise a little and they will turn off. The rest of the revolution controls the brightness of the dash lights.

Kerry

"Thank you Boofhead for the wonderful memories"

Edz66Vert
Mustang Star

0 👍 / 0 👎

Thanks Kerry, didn't know that, I just checked it out and you are right! Amazing, such a simple little thing. It's probably been like that since I put the switches back in after respraying the dash.

While I'm asking, my ignition switch is now a bit sticky since I removed the barrel to paint the dash. Are they easy to damage or does that mean I probably didn't install it right? It sticks on sometimes and is hard to turn off? Should I pull it out and lube it with graphite powder? I'm not keen to pull it out again as it took a fair bit of fiddling to get it back in working last time, but I will if I have to?

66 Convertible 351W; AOD; 9"

Husky65
Mustang Star

0 👍 / 0 👎

Damn Kerry you're smart, totally forgot about that. The exact thing happened to me with my gauge lights, I thought they weren't working but the dimmer was all the way down.

Edz66Vert
Mustang Star

0 👍 / 0 👎

Husky65 - that's what I thought, i figured I'd connected a 12v feed to the lights but spent a number of hours checking it and couldn't find anything else on that fuse (it's a new fuse box).

I also checked the wiring and noticed the feed coming from the headlight switch but didn't realise that was to manually turn on the interior lights until Kerry said it.

This forum is awesome, I'll post a problem a bit earlier now! I spent a couple of frustrating hours chasing wiring and going over things I have done to see if I had caused the problem and thought I'd just ask the question about the interior lights before spending more hours trying to work it out today.

Edz66Vert
Mustang Star

0 👍 / 0 👎

I mentioned before that someone has cut all my hazard switch wiring out. I want to connect a new hazard switch (have a simple aftermarket kit lying around that I've had for 20 years) and also wire my alarm in so it flashes the hazards. If I run a feed into each of the dash indicator lights and use a diode on each feed to keep the power separate, will this flash all four indicators, or is there a better way?

I better mention, I have done the rewiring mod at the brake switch so I now have separate orange indicators at the back to the brake tail lights.

Husky65
Mustang Star

0 👍 / 0 👎

Sound like it should work. Does your hazard switch only have one output?

Edz66Vert
Mustang Star

0 👍 / 0 👎

Yes.

Edz66Vert
Mustang Star

0 👍 / 0 👎

Hazard/alarm flashing indicators
So putting power to the dash indicator switch did nothing other than turning that bulb on. Tried the same on the rear indicator, same thing? I'll have to find the right wires at the steering column. It's going to take a little while because I changed things when I wired up the separate amber rear indicators.

Husky65
Mustang Star

0 👍 / 0 👎

Yeah sorry just had a think about it, it won't work because dash lights comes off the turn signal switch. It will be separated from the other circuits. If you powered the dash light with the car off, then flicked the turn level left, you may get the left indicators come on. Either way, won't work for hazards.
You'll have to power the circuits individually. Does your kit come with a flasher?

For my keyless entry, instead of wiring it to the indicators, i tapped the wire to the parking light wire at the light switch. Both front parkers and both rear brake lamps will light up, and you only have to connect one wire to one wire. Just a thought for your alarm.

ozbilt
Site Admin

0 👍 / 0 👎

Dash flasher indicators come off the FRONT turn lights, not the rear. If it came off the rears the dash indicators would come on each time you put your foot on the brake.

Kerry

ozbilt
Site Admin

0 👍 / 0 👎

Husky, I am old, not particularly smart, but sometimes remember stuff.

Kerry

Edz66Vert
Mustang Star

0 👍 / 0 👎

Correct Kerry, when I looked at the main wiring diagram, the dash indicators do come off the front turn lights but when I fed power in to one of the dash indicators it didn't turn on the front indicator which I thought was strange.

Anyhow, thanks for the help guys, after 2 hours I have it sorted, I'm using the front indicators off the 6 pin steering column plug and the separate rear indicators off the 2 pin plug that comes out of the column. I'll draw it up when I'm done so if someone else needs to do it they will have something to go off. I'm running constant power into my new hazard switch (in the old hazard switch plate) which goes into a 2 pin LED Flash unit. This then goes out to near the column where it splits into four diodes each feeding one wire. This way the indicators won't be connected and will work normally until I turn the hazard switch on. The alarm trigger will connect between the diodes and the flash unit to flash all indicator lights.

Edz66Vert
Mustang Star

0 👍 / 0 👎

Brake clip question.

I managed to find some R clips that are the right size to use as a brake switch/pedal clip but when I fit them (which is a mongrel job - next time I'll do it while the column is out!), they rotate 90 degrees due to the end of the shaft having a taper, as in the pic below? Does this look secure enough or do I need to chase another shaped clip? I'm a bit worried it may come loose? I realise there is no washer on this side as per the Ford manual, but I had enough trouble getting the clip in as the switch kept sliding out and my hands are too big to bend, had to use a pair of long nose pliers and one finger.

Last edited by Edz66Vert on Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:01 pm; edited 1 time in total

Edz66Vert
Mustang Star

0 👍 / 0 👎

This was the only pic I could find of a genuine clip. I'm sure Nuts will be able to help when he's back.

All times are Australia/Sydney
Go to page Previous 1, 2, 320, 21 22 23, 24, 25, 26 Next

Jump to:

TopPostersToday
   Edz66Vert 

hybrid 

Pinto-Pete 

Shaunp 

Dwayne 

geoff289 

LatestForumPosts