Staff Online:

No staff members are online!
We have received
page views since
July 27, 2010

Hits New Today: 6883
Hits New Yesterday: 12249

Server Time
22 February 2018 12:46:47 AEDT (GMT +11)
Other > Other Projects > Jacko's Project > Community Forums > Mustang Forum Australia - Mustang Tech

View posts since last visit β€’ View posts last 24 hours β€’ View unanswered posts
Forum Index > Other Projects

Jacko's Project Reply to topic

Go to page Previous 1, 2, 3 … 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62 63
Ausjacko
Mustang King

0 πŸ‘ / 0 πŸ‘Ž

ozbilt wrote
Ok, now to be picky. You need to remove the headlight rims, mask from the J moulds out and paint the behind the headlights and up to the J mould, black.

Right, after I figured out where the hell you are talking about (the J moulds are on the outside of the headlights) I checked my reference folder and you are spot-on! Will have to consult the colour guru on what black to use and prep- doh!

I had hoped you were referring to the moulds around the headlights as I only had them bolted at the top not correctly- they now are.

Cheers
Jacko

'68 J-code GT Fastback
'67 S-code GT coupe, 'Pink Bitz' formerly known as 'Hookin' up a brother'
'69 M_____ GTS Fastback 'Blasted'

malscar
Senior Mustang

0 πŸ‘ / 0 πŸ‘Ž

Love how it has turned out. Nice old school plus a good set of wheels. Look to be a set of Aunger jelly beans.

ozbilt
Site Admin

0 πŸ‘ / 0 πŸ‘Ž

Ausjacko wrote
ozbilt wrote
Ok, now to be picky. You need to remove the headlight rims, mask from the J moulds out and paint the behind the headlights and up to the J mould, black.

Right, after I figured out where the hell you are talking about (the J moulds are on the outside of the headlights) I checked my reference folder and you are spot-on! Will have to consult the colour guru on what black to use and prep- doh!

I had hoped you were referring to the moulds around the headlights as I only had them bolted at the top not correctly- they now are.

Cheers
Jacko

Yep. Spot on.

I would give it a scotchbrite and then some bug bomb semigloss black.

Kerry

It is easier to get older than it it is to get wiser

Ausjacko
Mustang King

0 πŸ‘ / 0 πŸ‘Ž

OK, might ask JBB if he can assist on the spraying front; Charlie H thought he did a fine job!

'68 J-code GT Fastback

soc123_au
Mustang King

0 πŸ‘ / 0 πŸ‘Ž

That looks so good with plates on it. The black around the headlights isnt a big drama. If you plan on being up this way in it we could have it in & out in a few hours.

Album Link Below.

s608.photobucket.com/p...s_Prestige

Ausjacko
Mustang King

0 πŸ‘ / 0 πŸ‘Ž

11 February 2018
Fitech day!
Fitted the hoses and electrical connectors on the Saturday and Sunday was to be the start day. Powered up the handheld unit and changed the parameters (capacity, target idle speed, fuel cell pulse width modulation down to 40 and mild cam). Went to crank the motor and the battery was lagging- wouldn’t you know it!

I had the fuel command centre disconnected while I did this as it needs to get fuel into it from the mechanical pump; should have done it a bit longer. With a bit more fuel into the pot I connected it to power and cranked it over; no start. So much for the Fitech β€˜couple of cranks and she is away’. More cranks and nothing but at least I had fuel. To be fair to Fitech, the ignition spade connector that I thought I had pushed back in correctly was not in properly. Put that in and the battery was now really not happy. Put it and the power pack on charge.

After a long 30 mins back to the car. This time it spluttered and fired but did not run, it was as if the idle screw needed to come out but it does not have one. On the Fitech the β€˜idle screw’ is the IAC screw on the front right of the unit. A couple more tries and now I had a grey screen on the hand held. Google told me this was low voltage- ie the battery still was not happy- back on charge it goes.

After a suitable delay during which I connected the throttle arm, back to the handheld to update the settings again, sent it to the ECU and she fired into life with a bit of throttle help. IAC steps were very high meaning I adjusted the screw a bit too much. A bit of tinkering and I had this sorted to around 4-6 (3 to 10 is said to be good).

Car idles up and then you can hear it settle down as it tries to reach the AFR target. The hand held unit confirmed my thinking that I have the wrong temp sender. 150 deg f on the handheld reads 190ish on the gauge. Not the β€˜first fire’ Fitech start I was hoping for but pretty easy nonetheless.

Here is the video, noting I had already fitted the fuel command centre, and had fitted plastic plug connectors for the power, switched ignition and tach signal during the build.

Then came fitting the air cleaner. I need a low slung unit to clear the bonnet. The Fitech fuel inlet was fouling the inner rim of the unit I had been using. A bit of hammer and dolly work and the base now clears. Now I just need a long 5/16th threaded rod as it is bigger than the standard Holley ΒΌ. Overall, I think this unit will work really well.

Single piece of advice to prospective Fitech installers: make sure the battery is charged ;-)

'68 J-code GT Fastback

ozbilt
Site Admin

0 πŸ‘ / 0 πŸ‘Ž

Thanks Jacko. Now you have convinced me to keep Mrsozbilt's Mach with the 2 barrel Autolite that it came with .... Embarrassed .... Poke Laughing

Kerry

It is easier to get older than it it is to get wiser

hybrid
Mustang King

0 πŸ‘ / 0 πŸ‘Ž

Most EFI with idle control will idle up higher than normal after first start and then taper down to the normal idle speed.
I'm really surprised that since it's being fed an RPM signal that it couldn't just open the idle stepper itself when it knew it wasn't idling properly.
You should just set a target RPM and it adjusts the stepper until it hits the target.

Barometric correction is correction of the fueling based on barometric pressure. So as you climb a mountain, there's less air pressure and the engines fueling requirements are different.

Ausjacko
Mustang King

0 πŸ‘ / 0 πŸ‘Ž

Hybrid, the unit does what you describe; idles up and settles down. However at the initial start and set-up, the issue I think was that it was not flowing enough air at idle. Akin to having a cover over the venturis. Me adjusting the screw took them off completely closed, like in a holley having the butterflies 4 thou opened. Doing this with the unit off then allowed the TPS to zero and it was then able to control itself. Initially though it was effectively choking through lack of air, hence my manual operation of the throttle allowed it to work.

I am sure the more I use it, explore the sub menus in the controller and read other posts, the more I will understand it. You never know, I ma even be able to join in a microsquirt conversation ;-)

Big Mc, do it. Just make sure you have the battery charged and the ignition wire connected to your coil- makes a big difference.

'68 J-code GT Fastback

Nuts
Mustang King

Location: Can someone send me some of that "Clean" coal for my furnace. My wood has frozen..

0 πŸ‘ / 0 πŸ‘Ž

Good Job Jacko.. We'll have to have a Fitech day!

My Motto - Don't get Caught! If you do, Blame Someone Else!

MUSTANG - Fantastic Not Plastic

All times are Australia/Sydney
Go to page Previous 1, 2, 3 … 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62 63

Jump to:

TopPostersToday
   123abc 

ants 

LatestForumPosts
Last 10 Forum Messages

OVER HEATING AT IDLE
Last post by 123abc in Pre 1973 on Feb 21, 2018 22:20:48

Any interest in a 3000 stall AOD non lock-up converter?
Last post by hybrid in Mustang Parts for Sale on Feb 21, 2018 12:33:33

hybrids 1966 Coupe Project
Last post by hybrid in Mustang Projects on Feb 20, 2018 07:03:39

Camshaft
Last post by trav68 in Pre 1973 on Feb 19, 2018 22:36:53

Finally getting to Mrsozbilt's Mach 1
Last post by nassi in Pre 1973 on Feb 19, 2018 19:59:19

67 FG Resto Mod
Last post by Roger in Mustang Projects on Feb 18, 2018 18:04:00

1970 wiring
Last post by 123abc in Pre 1973 on Feb 17, 2018 08:34:20

1982 RHD Mustang dashboard