No staff members are online!
We have received
page views since
July 27, 2010

Hits New Today: 1184
Hits New Yesterday: 18680

Server Time
23 July 2018 02:28:07 AEST (GMT +10)
Mustang Technical Discussion > Mustang Projects > Edz 66 Convertible > Community Forums > Mustang Forum Australia - Mustang Tech

Forum Index > Mustang Projects

Edz 66 Convertible Reply to topic

Go to page Previous 1, 2, 315, 16, 1721, 22, 23 Next
Edz66Vert
Senior Mustang

0 👍 / 0 👎

Yes, sometimes the simplest of fixes work best. Not sure where I got the idea from but it was in the back of my mind. Saved me $450!

66 Convertible 351W; AOD; 9"

nassi
Mustang King

0 👍 / 0 👎

Excellent Ed

Last edited by nassi on Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:37 am; edited 1 time in total

Edz66Vert
Senior Mustang

0 👍 / 0 👎

Can anyone suggest what header gaskets I should buy for the Blueprint alloy heads on my 351 Windsor roller engine?

I read on the other site that I shouldn't be using the standard grey paper looking gaskets that came with the Hedman headers. The only one that I can see when I search Rocket is Pro Copper Embossed Exhaust Gasket - 1.600" x 1.775" Suit Ford 351W SVO (What's SVO?). $42 + $18 del. At least with copper ones I shouldn't have any leaks.

I tried searching the VPW site but when I put in 351 ford windsor exhaust gasket (or header) it comes up with everything but windsor?

Dwayne
Mustang Star

0 👍 / 0 👎

Remflex

Last edited by Dwayne on Mon Feb 26, 2018 7:55 am; edited 1 time in total

hybrid
Mustang King

0 👍 / 0 👎

I'm using ProForm aluminium header gaskets on mine now since others kept leaking.
These are the ones I'm using:

www.summitracing.com/p.../overview/

Most will either in the Remflex camp, or one of these soft types. I haven't tried remflex, but these ones certainly worked for me.
Cage got some locally I believe. I'm sure someone like Rocket, VPW, or maybe even engine master in Albury would carry them.

Last edited by hybrid on Mon Feb 26, 2018 8:27 am; edited 1 time in total

Edz66Vert
Senior Mustang

0 👍 / 0 👎

Went to VPW, Rocket and Engine master
When I search 351 Windsor Header Gasket or 351W Header Gasket I get

VPW: just lists header studs for other motors
Rocket: Procopper embossed gaskets only
Engine Master: Felpro, Flowpro, Feltec, SCE Pro Copper, Spectre Ceramic Fibre

Are the Pro Copper Embossed Exhaust Gasket good, otherwise I'll have to ring them.

Last edited by Edz66Vert on Thu Mar 01, 2018 7:59 pm; edited 1 time in total

Nuts
Mustang King

0 👍 / 0 👎

Ed 302 and 351 heads are the same, so are the header gaskets.

My Motto - Don't get Caught! If you do, Blame Someone Else!

MUSTANG - Fantastic Not Plastic

Edz66Vert
Senior Mustang

0 👍 / 0 👎

I know that but I thought they would list them under 351. Rocket and VPW still don't list the others. Eagle did when I used 302.

Eagle list remflex and Proform, but the remflex are diagonal bolt holes. I need the straight ones like the proform so I'll get them, just have to check whether I have round or square ports (I think round).

Cheers for the help guys.

hybrid
Mustang King

0 👍 / 0 👎

By the way - I don't think all of Rockets stock (and probably VPW too) is on their websites. Best to give them a call.

Edz66Vert
Senior Mustang

0 👍 / 0 👎

I think I'll just go with the proform from eagle Jeff.

Last edited by Edz66Vert on Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:58 am; edited 1 time in total

hybrid
Mustang King

0 👍 / 0 👎

Yep, they definitely worked well for me.

Edz66Vert
Senior Mustang

0 👍 / 0 👎

Question on wiring.

I have the thick Black/Yellow wire which I know is a 12v power feed into two fuses in the fuse box (wire 37). It also goes to the ignition switch (wire 21). From the wiring diagram it looks like it comes out from there as accessories? Is this correct.

The reason I am asking is that it originally comes from the battery and is un-fused, I am looking at taking it from the new fuse panel I have hidden behind the battery so it is fused as I am not happy feeding wires through the car that are un-fused. I was going to set it up as 30A fused.

nassi
Mustang King

0 👍 / 0 👎

Edz66Vert wrote
Question on wiring.

I have the thick Black/Yellow wire which I know is a 12v power feed into two fuses in the fuse box (wire 37). It also goes to the ignition switch (wire 21). From the wiring diagram it looks like it comes out from there as accessories? Is this correct.

The reason I am asking is that it originally comes from the battery and is un-fused, I am looking at taking it from the new fuse panel I have hidden behind the battery so it is fused as I am not happy feeding wires through the car that are un-fused. I was going to set it up as 30A fused.

Yes Ed it becomes the accessory terminal, it is also the main feed for the light switch (wire 21).
Personally I would go higher than 30 amps on the original (37). I would use a 50 amp breaker, something like this www.ebay.com.au/i/2325...1&fl=c
I was taught that a reasonable fuse or breaker was double the expected draw.
cheers

ozbilt
Site Admin

0 👍 / 0 👎

nassi wrote
Edz66Vert wrote
Question on wiring.

Yes Ed it becomes the accessory terminal, it is also the main feed for the light switch (wire 21).
Personally I would go higher than 30 amps on the original (37). I would use a 50 amp breaker, something like this www.ebay.com.au/i/2325...1&fl=c
cheers

Who taught you nassi, Eddison or Tesla? Must have been a great thing to have known those guys Thumbs Up

Kerry

Not all heroes wear capes, some wear scuba tanks and swim by feel ........

"Thank you Boofhead for the wonderful memories"

Edz66Vert
Senior Mustang

0 👍 / 0 👎

ozbilt wrote
nassi wrote
Edz66Vert wrote
Question on wiring.

cheers

Who taught you nassi, Eddison or Tesla? Must have been a great thing to have known those guys Thumbs Up

That's the same breaker I was looking at at Jaycar. The power drawn by the original circuit (which had no fuse) is a lot less now than it used to be, I added up and checked the loads and figured about 15A continuous draw, 30A surge on startup that's why I thought 30A. The headlight high/low beam wires just trigger relays now that are mounted up front with the battery. I put an ammeter across the heater blower motor and it was 5.7A on startup but quickly drops to 2.7A. The wipers from memory pulled 5A, that just leaves parkers/brake lights and indicators, dash lights, cigarette lighter, starter, overdrive power and radio running from that circuit.

You're probably right, I'll go higher and start with 40A, if that blows, I'll have a 50A spare fuse. The fuse unit I'm using behind the battery has 10 outputs and is rated for 100A (not sure if this is continuous) so I've reduced the current coming into it to 3 x 30 amp auto reset circuit breakers.

However, the output of this fuse panel also feeds the electric roof (20A), 2x60W headlights (10A), air horn (12A), fuel pump (10A) and Spal thermo fan (23A). If it's a typical Canberra summer night and I'm sitting at the lights with the thermo on and fold the roof back it will be pulling 63 amps from that side of the fuse panel and maybe another 5A from the rest of the car.

Thinking about all of that, I'll pull the power for the fan from its own fused battery terminal, not off the fuse panel as the last thing I want is a melted fuse panel, that would make a mess and stop all motion!

This is the fuse panel I'm using, nice because the led glows red when the fuse is blown.

Yes, before you ask, I have upgraded the alternator to a 100A unit, the original one (45A) was still in there trying to drive all of this (including the spal).

All times are Australia/Sydney
Go to page Previous 1, 2, 315, 16, 1721, 22, 23 Next

Jump to:

TopPostersToday
   hybrid 

nassi 

lukep6470 

Nuts 

Dwayne 

Husky65 

LatestForumPosts