No staff members are online!
We have received
page views since
July 27, 2010

Hits New Today: 19485
Hits New Yesterday: 16217

Server Time
20 April 2018 18:52:13 AEST (GMT +10)
Other > Other Projects > Jacko's Project > Community Forums > Mustang Forum Australia - Mustang Tech

Forum Index > Other Projects

Jacko's Project Reply to topic

Go to page Previous 1, 2, 3 … 58 59 60, 61, 62, 63, 64 Next
Ausjacko
Mustang King

0 πŸ‘ / 0 πŸ‘Ž

10 December 2017
Through the week it was door card time. The originals were in a poor state, good for their age, but a bit sad nonetheless. AND, they had speaker holes cut in them which meant that I needed newbies. Winner Products here I come…

Passenger side on first and the trial fit showed the new cards fitted exactly like the old ones. I must say it is rather refreshing to find a repro item that fits, the holes line up and there is no trimming, bending, redrilling, welding, gluing, etc. needed.

First order was to ceremoniously attach the sacred GTS badges to the card. I checked the original dismantle photos to make sure I got the positioning right. For those fuss-pots, it happens to be directly under the impressed Monaro script, with the posts going into the recessed line in the vinyl.

I placed a small dab of blue texta on the end of each post on the badge and then carefully positioned the badge. Pushing the badge onto the vinyl transferred a nice small blue dot from the posts to the vinyl, marking where I needed to make the holes. Holes made and badge attached with the small one-way spring clips that push over the posts.

Installed the door card clip thingys and tested this against the door. Adjusted the top edge first and then moved around the card, rotating the clips as needed to line these suckers up with the plastic bungs in the door.

Next steps was to cut the door card for the window winder (no switches here baby), door release handle and the arm rest. Noticing I had a rather large spring still left in the container of door bits reminded me to check the dismantle photos again. Does the spring go in front or behind the door card and what does it do?

Too late, the spring goes behind the card and pushes it away from the door frame to make the fit with the winder nice and tight. The hard bit was to juggle the door card in position while at the same time keeping the spring in place until I could hit home the clips. As the spring was strong enough to overcome the clips, I ended up installing the bottom run of clips, fitting the spring and then laying the card toward the top and then pushing on the winder handle to neutralise the spring. With this on, I moved around the door fitting the rest of the clips. Fits perfectly and looks great.

And here is the passenger side of the car interior finished:

I never noticed how the chrome strip in the trim lines up front to rear.

I had to adjust the door strike as the trim was hitting the windlace. I ended up removing the winder, handles, arm rest and door card to rotate the clips to move the card forward about 4mm to improve the fit around the door; finicky I know but it looks and works better IMO.

Drivers side was a repeat of above process. This time I checked the gap around the door and against the windlace before I fitted it.

Sitting in the drivers seat I gained a small insight into how the original owner must have felt when first sitting in this fine piece of car-art; bloody fantastic if you are wondering.

The above position made it obvious I was missing the steering wheel. Dedicated readers will recall the car was fitted with a 13 inch β€˜sporty wheel’, with the original one found hiding in the boot. All cleaned up, she was wanting to get back in control of the car. Only issue here was me remembering how the four bits fitted together.

Installed the indicator stalk, make that five pieces, first as you can’t get to it with anything else in place. Then came the steering wheel that I had already fitted the boss and indicator cancelling horn ring bits to; six pieces.

With the wheel pushed onto the splines of the column, I could fit the big nut and washer that keeps it in place. But, the washer was too big and would not allow the next bit to fit- new washer found and cleaned.

Now, the horn/indicator cancelling bit fits to the back of the boss via two rectangular tabs fitting in the back of the boss. As these are 180deg apart, they can go in left or right; I put it in the wrong way first off. I found this while checking that the wheel cancelled the indicators as the wheel rotated in the direction of indication and then back. It was no biggie to remove the wheel, swap the horn/indicator bit and then reinstall; checked it works fine.

Wheel reinstalled and seated home with the large nut. I then fitted the β€˜locking nut’ and moved to the next bit. Now this was a bit of a bugger.

This next bit is the lower section of the horn mech that is attached by four posts and kept suspended by four springs that push it away from the wheel. Pushing down on this part puts two long small threaded posts into contact with copper tangs in the rectangular bits that come through from below. I had to adjust these posts in a bit (make them longer) to get them in contact with the tangs. These tangs are part of the copper ring that is in contact with a spring plunger in the column; you can see this in the image below. Pushing the spring suspended bit to the wheel provides the earth to complete the circuit that makes the horns sound.

The final piece is the lion horn insert that fits into the suspended piece. This is a keyed piece that should be installed so that kitty is not doing a headstand. You guessed it, I had installed the spring thingy upside down such that kitty was head-standing.

Off came the four posts and springs. Spun 180 deg and reinstalled. This procedure types easily but keeping the springs over the four posts while you turn the whole shebang upside down requires a good sense of balance, a third hand and extended breath holding ability. Installed correctly, kitty is now standing proud on his legs.

And here is the finished interior

To round out the weekend I welded on the reducers to the over diff pipes, ready for installing to the rear muffler.

If you ever get a chance, take the time to lie under this car as the finish under here is pretty cool if I do say so myself. Wonder if the original owner did that prior to purchase- he should have.

'68 J-code GT Fastback
'67 S-code GT coupe, 'Pink Bitz' formerly known as 'Hookin' up a brother'
'69 M_____ GTS Fastback 'Blasted'

Ausjacko
Mustang King

0 πŸ‘ / 0 πŸ‘Ž

Just found these as a β€˜before and after shot.

'68 J-code GT Fastback

nassi
Mustang King

0 πŸ‘ / 0 πŸ‘Ž

Great work Jacko.

ozbilt
Site Admin

0 πŸ‘ / 0 πŸ‘Ž

Looks "the goods", bloody nice restoration with a few "nice bits" added.

Starting to get a nice collection there Jacko.

I have found you a nice MG TA to add to your collection Thumbs Up

Kerry

"Thank you Boofhead for the wonderful memories"

Dwayne
Senior Mustang

0 πŸ‘ / 0 πŸ‘Ž

Seats look great.

Here's what I use on light leather seats to keep them safe from stains & dye transfer (ie jeans) Cquartz leather

boofhead
Mustang King

0 πŸ‘ / 0 πŸ‘Ž

Great build.

I will someday think of something clever to say.

hybrid
Mustang King

0 πŸ‘ / 0 πŸ‘Ž

Looks alright for a manky old H*lden Jacko.
I have a radiator hose that might fit.

Ausjacko
Mustang King

0 πŸ‘ / 0 πŸ‘Ž

MG TA, now that I understand is code for frustration.
Edit: just googled what one looks like. Good for any 'petite' sized drivers I would say which excludes me.
Hybrid, keep that hose as I understand it has a 'home mode' on it ;-)

'68 J-code GT Fastback

Last edited by Ausjacko on Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:20 pm; edited 1 time in total

Nuts
Mustang King

Location: Can someone send me some of that "Clean" coal for my furnace. My wood has frozen..

0 πŸ‘ / 0 πŸ‘Ž

Nearing the end. Thank God! Saw a sigma with hysterical plates on it recently. Maybe time for an old Skoda build. Don't see many of them still on the road just like old holdons..

By the way, I just changed out the hoses on my daughters Hyundai. I'm sure one will fit your holdon, you're welcome to them..

My Motto - Don't get Caught! If you do, Blame Someone Else!

MUSTANG - Fantastic Not Plastic

hybrid
Mustang King

0 πŸ‘ / 0 πŸ‘Ž

Ausjacko wrote

Hybrid, keep that hose as I understand it has a 'home mode' on it ;-)

Yeah and it's had the demons exorcised.

MustangMedic
Mustang King

0 πŸ‘ / 0 πŸ‘Ž

Niiiice Jacko!
As usual, love your work and attention to detail.
Cheers,
Ash

Cheers.
Medic
(Always work smarter not harder!!!)
67 C Code coupe
97 SN-95 Convertible

rkmiller73
Senior Mustang

0 πŸ‘ / 0 πŸ‘Ž

Nice interior! Like

Ausjacko
Mustang King

0 πŸ‘ / 0 πŸ‘Ž

17 December 2017
We have been a bit distracted this week and not much got done. Fitted the rear muffler to the car and joined it with the rest of the exhaust. Fitted the twin tail pipes and the centreline mag wheels I received it wearing.

'68 J-code GT Fastback

cage
Mustang King

0 πŸ‘ / 0 πŸ‘Ž

Car is looking beautiful. Great project.

"The simple answer is, even if I have decided I still don't know what to do."

rkmiller73
Senior Mustang

0 πŸ‘ / 0 πŸ‘Ž

The steering wheel on the wrong side of the car keeps throwing me.

I suppose you think the same of us when I say 100 MPH or 8 inches vs metric crap. ?

Last edited by rkmiller73 on Fri Dec 22, 2017 12:45 am; edited 1 time in total

All times are Australia/Sydney
Go to page Previous 1, 2, 3 … 58 59 60, 61, 62, 63, 64 Next

Jump to:

TopPostersToday
   nassi 

Edz66Vert 

hybrid 

ozbilt 

Ausjacko 

Dwayne 

ComingEvents