Beaten red headed stepchild

Technical Discussion on Mustangs born between 1973 - 1978

Moderator: Moderators

HappyOne
Mustang Maniac
Mustang Maniac

Re: Beaten red headed stepchild

Post by HappyOne »

Maybe I'm wrong (and very possibly so) but to my mind that vintage of Mustangs - just goes to show that every large company can get it wrong from time to time.

I agree with some others here that have suggested (OK - Only One of you have the balls to say it then) they look influenced by the japanese (Toyota) cars of the era..

I'm thinking they should be know as ToyoTangs.... maybe?

No Offence to anyone that has one ...just not my cuppa tea.

JMHO

:bash:
Never Die Wondering ...What If ????

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they Wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day. "
ozbilt
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ozbilt »

The Mustang II came about because of a few things.

Sermon "Bunkie" Knudsen was made the Ford Pres back in 69. He came from GM & bought a few guys with him (2 notables being Larry Shinoda & for racing, Smokey Yunick). Bunkie did not please H.F. II with the 71 Mustang (also arguing with other Ford exects) & was sacked in Sept 69.

The fuel crisis hit in the early 70's & big cars with big engines did not sell. That was the start of the Japanese auto invasion of the US.

Lee Iacocca took back over & wanted to get back to the small car he created (65 Mustang) & the Mustang II took quite a few styling ideas from that early car (that happened again with the 94 Mustang & again with the latest shape)
Kerry

To our wives and sweethearts. May they never meet
jusTANG
PatCH the Platypus
PatCH the Platypus

Post by jusTANG »

it does all make sense when it's told like that
I personally have never liked anything past 68, that being said the 69 and 70 (specially the Boss) has grown on me since being involved with you guys and girls, still have trouble getting past the dash but :shrug:
some of the pic's that have been posted look better then I would have thought
Cheers,
j
ozbilt
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ozbilt »

Just to continue on with the Mustang story, did you all know that the Mustang almost became a front wheel drive car back in 1988-9?

The idea was discovered by Mustang Monthly & they started a letter writing campaign (before the INTERNET folks.. :bowdown: ) that forced Ford to retink. They still released the car, but it was called the Probe. So happy readers, it almost became a MazTang.... 8O

Kerry

To our wives and sweethearts. May they never meet
jusTANG
PatCH the Platypus
PatCH the Platypus

Post by jusTANG »

8O NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Cheers,
j
Napes
Junior Mustang
Junior Mustang

Post by Napes »

jusTANG wrote:8O NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
What he said!!!!!!! 8O I had no idea - from wikipedia...

"...it was also considered a possible replacement for the Ford Mustang in the North American market as a direct competitor with the Acura Integra and the Toyota Celica. During that time, Ford's marketing team had deemed that a front-wheel drive platform (borrowed Mazda GD and GE platforms) would have lower costs for production, and also because the platform had been gaining popularity with the consumers. Mustang fans objected to the front-wheel drive configuration, Japanese engineering, and lack of a V8, so Ford began work on a new design for the Mustang instead. The decision to stop producing the vehicle was made in 1997 because the Probe was the worst-performing model of that year selling only 32,505 vehicles."

And for steve coogan fans... ;)
Troy_H
Junior Mustang
Junior Mustang

Post by Troy_H »

Some of these bear a resemblance to the Firebird of the era (72), if there were GM guys involved, that makes sense, just brought their ideas with them.

It was the style of the time, just a long way from the look they had. Kinda like the AU Falcon was to the EL.
moe
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by moe »

ozbilt wrote:So happy readers, it almost became a MazTang.... 8O
jusTANG wrote:8O NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:rotfl: :rotfl: Nice!
charlie66
Senior Mustang
Senior Mustang

Post by charlie66 »

they are a mustang but they just look a bit too vintage ricer for my liking... each to they're own I suppose. A mate of mine has a cobra II back in the states but has not shipped in in yet. He is not sure on the response he would get with it.
booah
Junior Mustang
Junior Mustang

Post by booah »

I had one back in Canada many moons ago. Was a great parts car and took all of half a day to strip the 302, front end and rear end out of it for other projects. At least it was small enough to keep the heat in it in the winter.
mach70
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by mach70 »

I think some look ok but generally most are suited to that era.

I read recently that our Falcom will more than likely be AWD.

All under the "One Ford" BS.

Time will tell though.....
Try not to make things Idiot proof as you only make a better class of Idiot.