Technical Discussion on Pre-1973 Mustangs

Moderator: Moderators

66nag
Junior Mustang
Junior Mustang

Pertronix installation

Post by 66nag »

Hi.
Have searched using the "search" function with no hits, so apologies of the answer to my question has been addressed previously.
I have '65 289 coupe (4bbl) that I am wanting to install a Pertronix (1) Ignitor. Now, as far as I know, the car still has the pink resistor wire, hence it needs to be "bypassed" for the Pertronix module to work effectively.
If I install the matching Flamethrower Ignitor coil, and "bypass" the resistor wire, will that cause any damage to other components, or cause them not to work?
I suppose my questions are:
a) were the yellow top coils 12V, and the pink resistor wire reduced the voltage to 6-9V only for the distributor?
b) if so, will the Pertronix 1module run/perform optimally with a yellow top coil if I don't bypass the wire?
c) will the yellow top coil be OK (ie, not explode!!) if the pink resistor wire is bypassed?
d) if I install an "internal resisted" coil (ie, a Flamethrower coil), I'm assuming that I need to remove/bypass the pink resistor wire, otherwise it will be "doubly" resisted?😳
(As you can tell, auto electrics isn't my forte....)
I just don't want to install the module and have issues down the track with poor spark, or a fire somewhere...
Looking forward to all your expertise 😊
hybrid
Mustang King
Mustang King

Re: Pertronix installation

Post by hybrid »

Get yourself a 12v coil and bypass the pink wire. Everything else will be fine.

The resistance wire was for the coil/points and generally it would send a full 12V to the coil during starting (for stronger spark when starting), then switch over to the pink wire afterwards. The lower voltage was also better for the points. You don't need to worry about any of that once you switch to electronic.

A coil designed to be run through resistance will run hot if they're run on 12v. If you want to run that coil, you still can. Just use the pink wire to the coil (+) and bypass it for the pertronix. Or you could bypass the pink wire and run a ballast resistor with the coil. The pertronix will be switching the neg (-) side of the coil.

To be honest, unless you want it to look original, I'd bypass the pink wire entirely and run a 12v coil as well.
66nag
Junior Mustang
Junior Mustang

Post by 66nag »

Thanks!👍 I'll do just that :cheers:
Edz66Vert
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by Edz66Vert »

I agree with everything Hybrid wrote, great points (ha ha)!

2 things though:

1. The Petronix 1 will burn out if you leave the ignition on for a minute or two – ask me how I know? I let the smoke out of mine.

2. Make sure you don’t put a coil in that has ‘resistor’ on it, like the standard one and a Bosch GT40R. They are only designed to have 9-10 volts put into them. When starting, the voltage can drop to 9 or 10 volts on an older car so this is what they were designed for. Once you let the key go, it switches to a resistor feed so the 12 -14v produced when driving is held at 9-10v, using (in the Mustangs case) the ‘pink wire’. On other cars they use a large white ceramic resistor block, usually attached to the coil bracket or nearby.

Checkout my car builds - edzv8s.com
66 Convertible Bench Seat AODE 3.5 9"