Vale Ian Jackson (Ausjacko)

Discussion of upcoming events in the Events Calendar

Moderator: Moderators

ozbilt
Site Admin
Site Admin

Vale Ian Jackson (Ausjacko)

Post by ozbilt »

We lost Ian Jackson (Ausjacko) yesterday (11/09/21) to a massive heart attack.

Ian was working on his E Type jaguar when he fell ill. Heather got him to the hospital, but he passed away there.

Vale Jacko

I have been sitting here the last few days, listening to music online while trying to get my head around the fact I will not get to hang out with Jacko anymore. Only last April Carol & I were in Canberra for his surprise 55th Birthday bash.

I first met Jacko in 2009 when he turned up to help with the building the grey 67 Mustang hardtop (then known as "Helping a Brother" or similar) at Duggo, that became known as "Pink Bits" after Jacko & Heather purchased it a few years later.

This was typical of Jacko, turning up to help those he had never met before. Being on the organizing committees for Canberra car events & how he pushed back when NSW car clubs tried to interfere with what was happening in Canberra was typical of him.

Jacko's visits to Duggo with Heather were anytime they were visiting Sydney and that always led to long chats into the night, long after the girls had gone to bed. Ian & Heather's home became our home away whenever we travelled to Canberra and again, led to long conversations into the night. Carol & I got to know the family & Stanley (the golden retriever). I even attended a baseball game he was playing in & photographed the proceedings (maybe Jacko was testing to see if I really had become a US citizen)

We had common experiences with living in China, Jacko with DFAT & me a FIFO to our Dongguan iron door factory. It was always easy to talk about a place we both have been immersed in. Their trip on Route 66 was often talked about & compared to our trip & memorabilia. The guest room at Duggo is the Route 66 room, so that fitted. Also the SEMA trip of 2019 was discussed at length both before & after the journey as Jacko sought information on how to tackle it. We had plans to attend the Canton Fair in Guangzhou. That would have been fun with my local knowledge & Jacko's ability to speak the language.

I did the body work on a couple of cars for Jacko & I loved understanding that his builds were dictated by what suited him rather than some commonly followed rules. Most of all, we all loved the write-ups on each weeks journey on those builds.

Working on the Jag was his last effort, nice to think that the enjoyment of playing with cars was in his life until the end.

We are missing you mate ........
Last edited by ozbilt on Fri Sep 17, 2021 5:08 am, edited 3 times in total.
Kerry

To our wives and sweethearts. May they never meet
Nuts
Mustang King
Mustang King

Re: Vale Ian Jackson (Ausjacko)

Post by Nuts »

Shit! RIP Jacko.
My Motto - Don't get Caught! If you do, Blame Someone Else!

MUSTANG - Fantastic Not Plastic
jbb
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by jbb »

"Jacko"

My best friend !!

I will miss having you to talk car shit with, solve problems and help each other out.
Not sure what to do now...........

Always willing to help everyone without any thought of rerward.

what more can one say, but too soon..................................

You will be missed by many
john (JBB)
jbb
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by jbb »

Taken at SEMA 2019

Jacko
larger than life, but not a yankee truck
soc123_au
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by soc123_au »

I'm in shock. The world has lost one of it's very best. Rest in peace mate, you will be sorely missed.
ACTstanglover
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by ACTstanglover »

I’m in disbelief, so young, so fit, and a great bloke to go with it. So sad for Heather and the family. All our mustang social activities and car shows wouldn’t have been what they were without Jacko been involved

Another sad loss to our mustang family.
Last edited by ACTstanglover on Sun Sep 12, 2021 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MustangMedic
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by MustangMedic »

So saddened to hear of Ian's passing this morning, Justin broke the news to me this morning and will also need support. You could not have met a better bloke the world will be a different place, my thoughts go out to Heather and the girls in the tragic loss of both a husband to Heather and a father to his daughters.

I can just picture the story he will be writing about his travels to the gates of St Peters.

A mate and a fellow pony rider.......god speed Jacko!
Cheers.
Medic
(Always work smarter not harder!!!)
67 C Code coupe
nassi
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by nassi »

Shocked to say the least, condolences to Heather and family. RIP Jacko.
Astro
Mustang Maniac
Mustang Maniac

Post by Astro »

I’m still in shock about Jacko - have been on the receiving end of his and JBB’s help on many occasions, a man of many talents - hearing him speak fluent Chinese at his favourite restaurant was a moment I won’t forget.
I’m glad we had the trip to SEMA in 2019, he was a character that’s for sure.
Being the same age and having survived a heart attack myself late last year makes me both thankful but devastated by his loss.
Thoughts to Heather and his family at this time.
Cheers
JD
Last edited by Astro on Mon Sep 13, 2021 12:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
I love big birds - I cannot lie...
Dwayne
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by Dwayne »

Very sad to hear of such an early passing, condolences go out to the family and friends.
hybrid
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by hybrid »

RIP Jacko
Such a great bloke and gone way too early.
Condolences to friends and family.
Yellow66
Baby Mustang
Baby Mustang

Post by Yellow66 »

Terrible news. RIP mate
gbx78
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by gbx78 »

Speechless when Kerry told me. So young, fit and just playing with his car.

I never met Ian but we spoke a few times on the phone. We always had a good chat about custom ideas, what we were doing with our cars and tips and tricks learnt along the way.

RIP mate, Im sure you are talking car ideas with David and Im sure he is spending your money too.

Condolences to his family and friends.

Enjoy playing with and/or driving your cars - Life is very short.
'You can never test fire too many times.' - Hybrid

'You can never have too many gauges' -
Boofhead
ozbilt
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ozbilt »

Updated opening post. Sorry if it is rough, but like how you all feel, it is still very raw.
Kerry

To our wives and sweethearts. May they never meet
jbb
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by jbb »

Hi everyone,

Just a quick update...

Ian's Funeral will be held friday the 24th around 3pm in Canberra.

It shall also have a live feed put online by the funeral home for anyone who wishes to
listen in /watch. As due to Covid restrictions, the funeral will only be attended by 20 people.
His AFP counterparts are assisting in giving him the appropriate honours as a
retired AFP member.

Once I receive the details from Heather for the link to access the simulcast( i think thats what you call it)
I will ensure that with Heathers permission, they are posted here for those who wish to access.

Regards
JBB