Technical Discussion on Pre-1973 Mustangs

Moderator: Moderators

65FB
One Hit Wonder
One Hit Wonder

Brake upgrade

Post by 65FB »

Hi all,

I’m looking to do a standard brake upgrade from drums to disc but would like to keep costs down. I know there are plenty of packages from mustang shops and online but wondering if anyone has cobbled together something that works with standard mustang v8 spindles.

Mustangs of Melbourne used to do a cheap kit involving HQ - VP single pot calipers with a bracket designed by them. A lot of people used this set up and found it worked. It used XY rotors. Anything like that is what I’m after (unfortunately MoM no longer operate).

Any assistance would be great or if someone was selling their used standard mustang v8 set up or had a set of the brackets for the VP set up, I would like to hear about it and purchase.

I know best advice is buy new and I’m better off but this is a daily and I fix things as I need and am not pouring money into it.

Cheers
Tony
Nuts
Mustang King
Mustang King

Re: Brake upgrade

Post by Nuts »

Tony, remember that any disc brake system you install other than a factory Kelsey Hayes 4 piston setup will legally require engineering.
My Motto - Don't get Caught! If you do, Blame Someone Else!

MUSTANG - Fantastic Not Plastic
Edz66Vert
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by Edz66Vert »

I agree with Nuts, that's the cheapest option. But don't forget your factory system has a single circuit master cylinder that should be upgraded, if you get a leak on any line you have no breaks.

I had that cheapish Melbourne system you are referring to, sold it off for $300 after too many panic stops that didn't want to stop! It only had 3 or 4 mm plate for the adapter plates and flexed under braking. My new adapters are 10 mm.

Hoppper stopper do a front disk brake system for $1500 - $1650 but that doesn't include a master cylinder or booster they do sell one though). Last I rad, their complete kit was $2200 and that didn't include any brake line work.

I went custom with adapter plates I made to bolt to the factory stub axles, 322 mm BF turbo drilled and slotted discs ($320), Bf Falcon calipers (2nd hand $50), brake lines plus a bit of labor from a mate $250, under-guard booster ($230), braided lines ($235) and a dual master cylinder ($120). So all up about $1200. They will need engineering, but the whole car does, but the brakes are awesome, stops like a modern car.

These are my bits.

AU3 pads vs bigger BF pads I used. Hoppers use AU2/3 calipers and pads in their kits.
Last edited by Edz66Vert on Sat Jul 31, 2021 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Checkout my car builds - edzv8s.com
66 Convertible Bench Seat AODE 3.5 9"
Nuts
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Nuts »

Did you make 40 sets of those Brackets Mr Ed?
My Motto - Don't get Caught! If you do, Blame Someone Else!

MUSTANG - Fantastic Not Plastic
Edz66Vert
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by Edz66Vert »

Nuts wrote:Did you make 40 sets of those Brackets Mr Ed?
For sure, I can make as many as needed! My mate quoted me $120 per set cut very accurately on the waterjet if I wanted to sell them. They still need threads cut in them and some 25 spacers tacked on.
Checkout my car builds - edzv8s.com
66 Convertible Bench Seat AODE 3.5 9"