Coolant for 65 mustang

Technical Discussion on Pre-1973 Mustangs

Moderator: Moderators

ACTstanglover
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Coolant for 65 mustang

Post by ACTstanglover »

Hi, any idea how many litres of coolant I need for a standard 289 Mustang with standard radiator. I think I drained about 7 litres but can’t be sure.

Thoughts?

Thanks

Andrew
jusTANG
PatCH the Platypus
PatCH the Platypus

Re: Coolant for 65 mustang

Post by jusTANG »

Closer to 12 to 15lts completely empty. You will have some coolant in the engine etc still.
Cheers,
j
Edz66Vert
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by Edz66Vert »

I run straight water with corrosion inhibitor because that's what the Natrad boss said. He said straight water has the best coolant properties, just needs anti-corrosion to protect the various metals in the motor.
Checkout my car builds - edzv8s.com
66 Convertible Bench Seat AODE 3.5 9"
mungus
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by mungus »

Edz66Vert wrote:I run straight water with corrosion inhibitor because that's what the Natrad boss said. He said straight water has the best coolant properties, just needs anti-corrosion to protect the various metals in the motor.
Unless you live in Canberra, I'd say he's spot on. From a thermodynamics view its impossible to find any liquid with better heat absorption properties than good old water. Just that in combination with heat and some air bubbles it makes stuff rust! So some anti corrosion additive is really all you need unless you are in a genuinely cold part of OZ that gets regular heavy frosts. That is unless you like swapping out welch plugs!
Grumpy old git! 68’ S code Fastback
Edz66Vert
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by Edz66Vert »

mungus wrote:
Edz66Vert wrote:I run straight water with corrosion inhibitor because that's what the Natrad boss said. He said straight water has the best coolant properties, just needs anti-corrosion to protect the various metals in the motor.
Unless you live in Canberra, I'd say he's spot on. From a thermodynamics view its impossible to find any liquid with better heat absorption properties than good old water. Just that in combination with heat and some air bubbles it makes stuff rust! So some anti corrosion additive is really all you need unless you are in a genuinely cold part of OZ that gets regular heavy frosts. That is unless you like swapping out welch plugs!
Funny you say that mungus, I do live in Canberra - The Nations, great Capital!

I said that to the boss of Natrad Phillip that I thought it would be too cold for that in Canberra and he argued the engine block in Canberra does not freeze. He said he only runs anti-corrosion inhibitor and water in his 4wd which is parked outside in winter and he's never had it freeze up. I have checked this last winter as I have a digital temp gauge on my 4wd and it has never been colder that 12 degrees in winter at 8 am. I have the well advertised 'Engine gaurd' on my car as extra protection so I will keep an eye on the Mustang, but it lives in the garage.

The only person I have heard of who froze his motor (and actually cracked his block, rather than popping any welsh plugs out) was a Ford V8 guy in Cooma - it gets cold there. Mr Natrad said if you park overnight at the snow, you would want ant-freeze in the engine.
Checkout my car builds - edzv8s.com
66 Convertible Bench Seat AODE 3.5 9"
Pinto-Pete
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Pinto-Pete »

jusTANG wrote:Closer to 12 to 15lts completely empty. You will have some coolant in the engine etc still.
Where's ya note j..... :impatient:
I'm Batman...

Crane Operator
Mammoet Australia
Rye Park Wind Farm