Non-Mustang related Projects

Moderator: Moderators

rkmiller73
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

1929 Ford Roadster Pickup

Post by rkmiller73 »

Hey,

The website will not let me post back on the original thread so here are the photos so far. I am trying to re-post the photos, let me know if you can see these.

Thanks!

PS: I hope you guys are all doing good!

Me with the pickup in 1989. It then sat in my dad's shed until this year.

Last edited by rkmiller73 on Fri Nov 06, 2020 11:51 am, edited 2 times in total.
rkmiller73
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Re: 1929 Ford Roadster Pickup

Post by rkmiller73 »

Here are the images of the Dupont Gunmetal blue that turns light green in the sun with photos in the shade, cloudy day and in the sun. I had dupont mix in a little more blue but on the lower half of the panel you will see in the sun it is more gray.

rkmiller73
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Re: 1929 Ford Roadster Pickup

Post by rkmiller73 »

I am re-posting this here to keep the thread continuity.

BLUF: the MAFCA and DuPont Gunmetal Blue look the same but in the sunlight turn light green. The 1962 PPG color guide is much more blue and I will have to get a sample hand tinted to match as the sample is too small to read at the paint dealers.

My next task will to get a 1962 PPG same mixed and sprayed out. I don't know why there is such a disparity in the colors.

Here is my other issue: I have my dad's old paint chip guide made by PPG in 1962 that says they used the original ford paint chips to make these. The original colors available for commercial vehicles was Black, Rock Moss Green (very dark green), L'anse Green (Dark green), Commercial drab (grey) and gunmetal blue (Dark blue with hint of green).

the 1962 paint chip chart has Gunmetal blue as a dark blue with hint of green, The new MAFCA (model a ford club of america) has a new book and all the colors are similar EXCEPT Gunmetal Blue - they have it as a green with hint of blue.

I called MAFCA (being the obsessed person I am) and they directed me to a guy that helped publish the MAFCA paint guide and he told me another member had original Ford Paint chips that they used to make the new paint guide. He gave me the info for the guy with the ford factory paint chips and that phone number goes directly to a voicemail that is full so I cannot leave a message.

Now the MAFCA publisher told me they are coming out with a new paint guide with 2X4 paint chips (the old one had 1X1 that nobody can scan to duplicate the colors) and other than that he didn't seem to know much more.

I looked into the MAFCA Gun Metal Blue and Dupont says it is DS 151 - so I sprayed some of the dupont Gunmetal blue on the hood with a black stripe and some of the Dupont Andalusite Blue with black stripe on another panel for reference.

The Dupont and the 1X1 paint chip from the MAFCA guide look ok until you get the panels out in the sun, then it turns into a light green with no hint of blue.

I really wanted a pickup with something other than GREEN like all the others, but in a period correct color.

I had Dupont mix a touch more blue but it came out more gray in the sun - see bottom of the green hood panel.