XF arms and spindles into a 70

Technical Discussion on Pre-1973 Mustangs

Moderator: Moderators

smh00n
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

XF arms and spindles into a 70

Post by smh00n »

I've spent some time looking at this over different forums, and wanted to make sure what I think is true, is true.
For my '70 I need a new LH top arm as the Made in Indonesia one is crap and squeaking. I may as well do the rest of the front while I am there.

So, my shopping list is
XF top arms
XC, XD, XF spindles from a sedan
XF alloy calipers - already have
XA Rotors for the small hubs

All this should bolt together fairly well?

Unknowns are:
Am I going to get a benefit from the new spindles? The ones on it I think are XB and are 215mm top to bottom.
I also have King KFFL-0 springs, but these are longer in length than the ones that are in it. The current ones have a thicker coil than the King so I'm not sure if the King will settle lower? It rides nicely but about an inch too high for me, so I am chasing an inch drop.

I have found a bloke literally down the road stripping an XF ute so will grab the top arms off that. He may have some earlier stuff as well so I might be able to get spindles from him. If so, how do I identify the 'best' spindle I can use? I read that the LWB spindles are no good. The thing is complete so what else should I grab off it?

The current spindles on the car have Girlock cast iron calipers, with a curved mount bar. Do I need the XF mount bar for the calipers?

To answer the question, it's just a road car, won't go on a track and I just wanted to cure the Falcon Squeak and lower the front about an inch or so. But improving the handling would be good as much as is practicable.
ants
Senior Mustang
Senior Mustang

Re: XF arms and spindles into a 70

Post by ants »

I have all of the above fitted to mine for the same reason (to prevent the suspenion squeak). I also fitted the lower control arms and radius rods. Also did the Selby Drop. I would doubt that the alloy calipers will fit to the cast caliper brackets. So you may as well get the full setup from the ute as I would doubt anyone who has some would separate the brackets from the calipers. I believe that the taller spindles improve suspension geometry but also raise the height. I've got Lovells springs but cut half a coil out of them to get the ride height look that I wanted. I seem to remember a post in the past (I think by shaunp) explaining the differences in spindles. Something about taller height after a certain date and the LWB versions making the steering twitchy like a race car.
Can't tell you about any improvement to handling as I did it during the build and never drove it before the build.
smh00n
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by smh00n »

Thanks Ants. Pulled it all down last night and realised the alloy calipers have their own bracket. Rookie mistake.
Also has what looks like XA rotors; small hub large outer bearing.
I may grab the lower arms as well. Mine may need inner bushes as well so I may as well build the whole thing from donor bits as the ball joints are still riveted so I guess they are probably near rooted.

I did research last night and looks like KFFL-59 are the springs I need, about 20-30mm lower than the KFFL-0 I have now. And Ebay has them cheap at present :joy:
Shaun has posts out there over different forums but I couldn't figure out exactly what I need in terms of spindle. Doesn't matter, The current ones work.
So I'll just do both arms and stick ball joints and bushes in them.
ozbilt
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ozbilt »

The Falcon spindles are also different in the arm that connects to the tie rod. To totally eliminate bump steer, that part should be altered. That requires heating, moving and then x-ray, all done by a professional.

Now that I have that off my chest, I will say that I have XW spindles (not altered) in Mrsozbilt's 69 Mach 1 and they have been in there since I built it 1989_1992 and some 70,000 miles. The car has some bump steer but nothing a slight alteration to the front end geometry will see improved.
Kerry

To our wives and sweethearts. May they never meet
smh00n
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by smh00n »

Well, it now gets worse.
Pulled the front apart this arvo and I have a RH spindle higher than the LH spindle. About 10mm difference.
They are also different design. I'd put some pictures up if it were simple.
I spent some time searching but nothing tells me i should have a RH spindle higher than the LH.

Assuming I need new spindles, what do I get that will make this thing drive OK.
nassi
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by nassi »

These are what we were using a few years back for both road and track.
http://www.totalcontrolproducts.com/spindle.html
hybrid
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by hybrid »

smh00n wrote: I'd put some pictures up if it were simple.
What is the issue you are having?
smh00n
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by smh00n »

hybrid wrote:
Looks like you need to use photobucket? I'm just miserable and don't want to pay the monthly fee, especially when I already have a photo host website (I don't want to link to that as it is more family-orientated and I don't want randoms to see the pis)
They say you get grumpier as you get older and I am living proof :)
smh00n
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by smh00n »

nassi wrote:These are what we were using a few years back for both road and track.
http://www.totalcontrolproducts.com/spindle.html
$419 a pair is pretty good value for new stuff.
I made an executive decision last night to go with a full XF front end.
Based on Ants report I will deal with any bump steer - it's a 50 year old car with a steering box. I doubt a bit more movement in the whole system will be a big deal.

The XF stuff I reason is possibly better quality than current new repro arms, even if it will cost me the same to buy and refurbish as buying new arms.

Never again will I buy a car that has been 'rebuilt' The amount of things wrong with this thing is beyond a joke.
hybrid
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by hybrid »

smh00n wrote:
hybrid wrote:
Looks like you need to use photobucket? I'm just miserable and don't want to pay the monthly fee, especially when I already have a photo host website (I don't want to link to that as it is more family-orientated and I don't want randoms to see the pis)
They say you get grumpier as you get older and I am living proof :)
No, it uses postimg now. It's not perfect because some workplaces don't allow it. I can't see the pics at work for example, but it's not a big deal.
Just click on the "Add image to post" under the text area and it should be pretty easy (and free).
It's OK, I'm a grumpy bastard too (and more so recently).
smh00n
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by smh00n »

^^^ never even saw that... FFS now I need new glasses too
smh00n
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by smh00n »

So this is the difference in height. May explain why a bunch of spacers was in the LH upper arm.

Not even the same style of upright

At least they used Ford uprights. Any clues what they are?

Hey Bloke, just chuck these bushes in will ya? Trim them to suit...
nassi
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by nassi »

smh00n wrote:
Never again will I buy a car that has been 'rebuilt' The amount of things wrong with this thing is beyond a joke.
Never a truer word spoken.
ozbilt
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ozbilt »

smh00n wrote:So this is the difference in height. May explain why a bunch of spacers was in the LH upper arm.

Not even the same style of upright

At least they used Ford uprights. Any clues what they are?

Hey Bloke, just chuck these bushes in will ya? Trim them to suit...
I would bet one is a Granada spindle and the other is a 70 Mustang.
Kerry

ozbilt
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ozbilt »

BTW, run a file on the casting numbers so they can be seen more clearly. That will give me more of an idea what they are off.
Kerry