1929 Model A Ford Roadster Pickup Project

Non-Mustang related Projects

Moderator: Moderators

rkmiller73
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Re: 1929 Model A Ford Roadster Pickup Project

Post by rkmiller73 »

Here what color was left on the inside of the cab prior to sand blasting and primer. I think it looks much more like the 1962 PPG paint chip for gunmetal blue. I can't say for sure if this is original paint as Dad pulled this out of a pasture around 1969.

rkmiller73
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by rkmiller73 »

Somebody had a sense of humor and wrote this on the side of the cowl.

Pinto-Pete
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Pinto-Pete »

scedd wrote:
Pinto-Pete wrote:Lock down sucks especially the 5k radius we had thanks to comrade dan's captains call, as to your photo's,.. not seeing them....
We can see them fine up here in Sunny Gods Country.
Maybe they are banned in Sicktoria. 😂
Can see em fine now and sunny qld has more case than sicktoria we just kill ours..
I'm Batman...

Crane Operator
Mammoet Australia
Rye Park Wind Farm
rkmiller73
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by rkmiller73 »

I am going to try to get some better photos of the new MAFCA paint chips once the new paint chip book with 2X4 chips comes in. right now with the 1 inch chips it is difficult to tell the different shades of green even in the sunlight. Just too small. With the shorter days now it is dark when I get to work and when I get home.

Eventually we will get past this epidemic, we always have throughout human history or we wouldn't be here!
rkmiller73
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by rkmiller73 »

Engine and front end work coming along. Stopped by last Sunday.

rkmiller73
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by rkmiller73 »

New MAFCA paint guide has printed color pages instead of paint chips. I had the DuPont store scan and make a sample of Gunmetal Blue and L'anse Green but the colors did not match. The printed color pages are not a solid color like a paint chip is the problem I think.

I do like the Gunmetal blue that I painted out as it is more of a dark blue with grey tones vs the Green with some blue undertones of the MAFCA sample.

The new book color's are also a little different than the old MAFCA book paint chip samples so who knows what the colors should be.

Last edited by rkmiller73 on Fri Dec 11, 2020 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rkmiller73
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by rkmiller73 »

Here is the new color they confirmed - Commercial Gray - but it is green.

why would Ford have 5 slightly different shades of green and call them blue, gray, etc. when they are obviously green. does MAFCA have this wrong?

Dwayne
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by Dwayne »

Are there any other completed model A's nearby with the correct color to get someone scan or eye-match?
rkmiller73
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by rkmiller73 »

Dwayne,

Not with COVID these days, all the local shows have been canceled over the last year and nothing in the next few months.
I am probably not going to be ready for paint until the summer or fall anyway.

I had an idea of going to Hershey this fall, but got canceled, will see how things go in the spring if I can get up to Oshkosh or Hershey this coming year.

Gunmetal Blue is not a common color anyway.

I will probably just go the regular Rock Moss Green.
Dwayne
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by Dwayne »

I remember back in the olden days as an apprentice painter, the boss managed to find someone interstate that was able to send us a some leftover paint from a crash repair they had done on a rare car.

We used his sample to spray a scrap door and then colour matched enough paint for a full respray. Worked out really well the bigger area (vs 2" paint chip) we were trying to match it to.

Perhaps another restorer has some paint left over they could send you?
Last edited by Dwayne on Fri Dec 11, 2020 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rkmiller73
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by rkmiller73 »

Hey, I have a couple of friends I made on the vintage ford forum that are going to send me some spray outs of what they used.

I think that the old lacquers deteriorated/faded/changed color not long after applied to a new car. This and given the fact that multiple slightly different shades of green were used has caused issues. As these slightly different shades of green deteriorated some have become a new color or more close to another factory color and has caused a lot of confusion.

I am probable going to go with a reasonable Rock Moss Green as that seems to be the most definable color from the rest. I just wanted to go with a factory color other than "GREEN".
rkmiller73
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by rkmiller73 »

I got the seat springs in and they fit well, good reproductions.

Also making headway on the rear axle. The rear drums and hubs were shot, so going with some good quality reproductions.

Here are the photos.

Pinto-Pete
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Pinto-Pete »

rkmiller73 wrote: I just wanted to go with a factory color other than "GREEN".
Might be the model A version of any colour you want as long as it's black from the model T paint catalog..
I'm Batman...

Crane Operator
Mammoet Australia
Rye Park Wind Farm
rkmiller73
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by rkmiller73 »

I am thinking black body on black fenders or maybe the Dark Rock Moss Green body with black fenders. either would be factory colors and I usually like to go with a factory color.

Now for what shade of Rock Moss Green or Black - that is the question that nobody seems to have the answer for...

Sikkens automotive paint out of Holland makes a super black, black. That is what my old shop uses now on Rolls Royce and Bentley fenders and all their other paint colors.

PPG and Dupont have gone way up in price and quality has seemed to go down.

Sikkens isn't any cheaper, but have very vivid, deep, rich colors from what I have seen coming out of the shop back home where I had the Burgandy fastback painted (and used that paint).

That is what I am thinking as of now anyway.
hybrid
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by hybrid »

Wow, that ring gear on the diff :shock: