1929 Model A Ford Roadster Pickup Project

Non-Mustang related Projects

Moderator: Moderators

rkmiller73
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

1929 Model A Ford Roadster Pickup Project

Post by rkmiller73 »

My dad "gave" me a basket full of parts that is a 1929 Roadster pickup.
I have the frame and running gear at a guy in Wichita that dad knows well who can rebuild the engine, trans, brakes and rear end - Model A medic.

The body is mostly rusted away with a few fragments. The cowl, gas tank and hood are not bad shape so will reuse those and probably source the other sheet metal through Brookville who makes all new beds, cabs and sells new fenders.

Will get some photos posted up in the next few days.
hybrid
Mustang King
Mustang King

Re: 1929 Model A Ford Roadster Pickup Project

Post by hybrid »

Sounds like a cool project. Looking forward to seeing it!
nassi
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by nassi »

You are always busy.
ozbilt
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ozbilt »

This one belongs to my neighbour. We "fixed" it a few years ago. No rat rod, not restored, just "fixed" as it would have been back in the depression.

The only update is hydraulic brakes (40 Ford) and new tyres. Engine has not been apart for over 50 years.

Kerry

To our wives and sweethearts. May they never meet
rkmiller73
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by rkmiller73 »

Hey, I need to get some photos on here, just have been super busy since March with all the people off work bringing in their animals to the vet. Still haven't heard of anyone with COVID so we are doing fine.

I just have not been out to the shop much, keeping my head down and working a lot.
Ausjacko
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Ausjacko »

rkmiller73 wrote: Still haven't heard of anyone with COVID so we are doing fine.
Good to hear . We seem to get a lot of gloom out from your way at present.
Stay safe.
Jacko
'68 J-code GT Fastback
'67 S-code GT coupe, 'Pink Bitz' formerly known as 'Hookin' up a brother'
'69 M_____ GTS Fastback 'Blasted'
rkmiller73
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by rkmiller73 »

Hey,

Things are pretty good over here overall. Seems like the news stations make things worse sometimes in order to dramatize it up to keep you watching.

Here are the photos as promised.

My dad found the car in the early 70's when he and my grandpa were buying and trading Model A and T's. We had a farm sale in 1989 and I got to keep this car out of the group. Probably because it wasn't worth much at the time.

1989 with me
[url=https://postimages.org/][img]https://i.postimg.cc/fy4LTfcJ/Roadster- ... -sized.jpg[/img][/url]

Here it was right before the epidemic - I took it to a guy in Wichita - Model A Medic that does a lot of running gear restorations/rebuilds as I have not had much time and my wife said I wasn't getting anything done with that pile of parts in the shop.

I decided to go with a Brookville pickup bed and had them build a new cab onto my gas tank and cowl section that were in decent shape. I mailed the sandblasted tank/cowl section to them back in March.
Brookville came through KC last night and I met them up there to pick up the rebuilt cab, bed, new fenders and windshield. Threw everything in the shop late last night and got back to work today.
Will get some photos tonight to post here.

I felt like going with new sheet metal vs spending hours and hours on patching and rebuilding the old parts, plus the rat rodders love the bent/rusty stuff and I would have had to rebuild the cab anyway.

Brookville Roadster was great too. They had a large semi with 10 29-32 roadster bodies all new steel in the truck.

[url=https://postimages.org/][img]https://i.postimg.cc/X7LVTbzZ/Model-A-frame-2-sized.jpg[/img][/url]
Last edited by rkmiller73 on Fri Nov 06, 2020 10:35 am, edited 3 times in total.
rkmiller73
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by rkmiller73 »

Here is my other issue: I have my dad's old paint chip guide made by PPG in 1962 that says they used the original ford paint chips to make these. The original colors available for commercial vehicles was Black, Rock Moss Green (very dark green), L'anse Green (Dark green), Commercial drab (grey) and gunmetal blue (Dark blue with hint of green).

the 1962 paint chip chart has Gunmetal blue as a dark blue with hint of green, The new MAFCA (model a ford club of america) has a new book and all the colors are similar EXCEPT Gunmetal Blue - they have it as a green with hint of blue.

I called MAFCA (being the obsessed person I am) and they directed me to a guy that helped publish the MAFCA paint guide and he told me another member had original Ford Paint chips that they used to make the new paint guide. He gave me the info for the guy with the ford factory paint chips and that phone number goes directly to a voicemail that is full so I cannot leave a message.

Now the MAFCA publisher told me they are coming out with a new paint guide with 2X4 paint chips (the old one had 1X1 that nobody can scan to duplicate the colors) and other than that he didn't seem to know much more.

I looked into the MAFCA Gun Metal Blue and Dupont says it is DS 151 - so I sprayed some of the dupont Gunmetal blue on the hood with a black stripe and some of the Dupont Andalusite Blue with black stripe on another panel for reference.

The Dupont and the 1X1 paint chip from the MAFCA guide look ok until you get the panels out in the sun, then it turns into a light green with no hint of blue.

I really wanted a pickup with something other than GREEN like all the others, but in a period correct color.

I had Dupont mix a touch more blue but it came out more gray in the sun - see bottom of the green hood panel.

Here it is with a cloudy day.

Here it is in the sun

Here it is in the shade

I will get some photos of the paint chips, but they are so small it all looks dark in the photos.

OK now I have to get back to work, my wife is staring at me and I can tell she is coming up with something for me to do! Have I mentioned we work together? :rotfl2: :help: :rotfl2:
Last edited by rkmiller73 on Thu Nov 05, 2020 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pinto-Pete
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Pinto-Pete »

Lock down sucks especially the 5k radius we had thanks to comrade dan's captains call, as to your photo's,.. not seeing them....
I'm Batman...

Crane Operator
Mammoet Australia
Rye Park Wind Farm
Dwayne
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by Dwayne »

Getting lots of donut days now Pete!
rkmiller73
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by rkmiller73 »

Hey, so are the photos not showing up, I see them on my computer.
scedd
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by scedd »

Pinto-Pete wrote:Lock down sucks especially the 5k radius we had thanks to comrade dan's captains call, as to your photo's,.. not seeing them....
We can see them fine up here in Sunny Gods Country.
Maybe they are banned in Sicktoria. 😂
The word "swims" upside-down is still "swims".
- If you rip a hole in a net, there are actually fewer holes in it than there were before
rkmiller73
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by rkmiller73 »

Me and the pickup in 1989. Now it is letting me post on this thread again!

Last edited by rkmiller73 on Fri Nov 06, 2020 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rkmiller73
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by rkmiller73 »

Here are the photos of the Brookville work I picked up a couple nights ago after work. I have not opened the boxes with the windshield, hood, fenders yet. The built it all to my original cowl/gas tank.

Last edited by rkmiller73 on Fri Nov 06, 2020 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rkmiller73
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by rkmiller73 »

Here is the running gear when I was taking it apart.