Welding vs bonding

Need help on paint, paint prep, welding, engines etc?

Moderator: Moderators

66STNG
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Welding vs bonding

Post by 66STNG »

Hi body tech gurus,
Need some advice, a mates got a HK Monaro with a really, really large hole where a sunroof once was. He wants It gone.
Do we use an air flange tool, cut out from another HK roof and glue a patch from the top using panel bond.
Or, cut the patch to size and butt weld it, I’m concerned if I weld it, it will buckle and warp.
Advice would be appreciated
66 basket case
Nuts
Mustang King
Mustang King

Re: Welding vs bonding

Post by Nuts »

Are you seriously discussing a Holdon repair in this forum? Shame. shame, shame. That's got to be a banning! Only one way out of this for a Phoenix reviver like yourself. Repair the roof using a Mustang roof panel, that'll give it some class.. :thumbs:
My Motto - Don't get Caught! If you do, Blame Someone Else!

MUSTANG - Fantastic Not Plastic
66STNG
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by 66STNG »

Nuts wrote:Are you seriously discussing a Holdon repair in this forum? Shame. shame, shame. That's got to be a banning! Only one way out of this for a Phoenix reviver like yourself. Repair the roof using a Mustang roof panel, that'll give it some class.. :thumbs:
I said the same thing, I don’t work on Holden’s. However I like any coupe, but this thing is really bad. There is sooooo much body work rust repairs on it. I’d really like to use adhesive, but unsure if it’s the right type of repair for it.
66 basket case
Chux
Junior Mustang
Junior Mustang

Post by Chux »

Well Kerry has recommended and said he uses adhesive on a tail light panel which at least separates the quarters and needs some level of strength so I can only imagine that adhesive on a roof patch would be fine...its not structural
Cheers

Craig
ozbilt
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ozbilt »

Pictures is one of the products I use. Fairly expensive (especially the gun) if you were doing a one off job.

I use Sika 252 on whole panels but not in the instance you are looking at (part panel replacement), depends on the job.

Filling a sunroof hole is not something for an amateur, you can destroy the roof panel easily. Most professionals won't touch it, as the skill has gone out of the trade.

I would suggest a whole roof panel of a donor, but where do you find that? Next would be to wheel up a whole roof panel (hand make), however the cost would be more than most would want to spend. Add the fact you have been asked to fix the roof, tells me that the cost of a professional fix has already been assessed.

My fix would be to fit a new or existing sunroof. I know he does not want that, but now he has little to no choice other than what was suggested above, something he should have looked at before the purchase.

Last edited by ozbilt on Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kerry

To our wives and sweethearts. May they never meet
66STNG
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by 66STNG »

ozbilt wrote:Pictures is one of the products I use. Fairly expensive (especially the gun) if you were doing a one off job.

I use Sika 252 on whole panels but not in the instance you are looking at (part panel replacement), depends on the job.

Filling a sunroof hole is not something for an amateur, you can destroy the roof panel easily. Most professionals won't touch it, as the skill has gone out of the trade.

I would suggest a whole roof panel of a donor, but where do you find that? Next would be to wheel up a whole roof panel (hand make), however the cost would be more than most would want to spend. Add the fact you have been asked to fix the roof, tells me that the cost of a professional fix has already been assessed.

My fix would be to fit a new or existing sunroof. I know he does not want that, but now he has little to no choice other than what was suggested above, something he should have looked at before the purchase.

Agree, I told him the same but he really doesn’t want the sunroof and with HK monaros being hard to come by he didn’t really have a choice.
I know I’m an amateur but, that’s how we get to being good at something, having a go and getting some sound advice and practice...there is nothing better than looking back at my project and saying, “ yes I did all the work”, might not be of expert quality but it’s my work. Anyone can get a chequebook car built.

So back to the question, butt weld, glue. chicken wire and Selleys no more gaps...
Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thankyou...
Last edited by 66STNG on Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
66 basket case
Dwayne
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by Dwayne »

Would TIG stitches keep the heat out of the panel enough to minimise warping?
ozbilt
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ozbilt »

Dwayne wrote:Would TIG stitches keep the heat out of the panel enough to minimise warping?
No, the spread of heat is similar in all forms of welding in regards to the heat input.

TIG is also a very hard weld, therefore difficult to hammer up as the weld proceeds. Same can be said for MIG welding.

Oxy/acetylene welding is the only process that can leave the weld the same hardness and malleability as the parent metal after hammering.
Kerry

Pinto-Pete
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Pinto-Pete »

Don't think your really after advice, more vindication of your preferred method of tackling the job at hand which is fine, although asking for and receiving said advice and promptly burning the advice giver may limit responses to your posts in the future,.. just sayin.
I'm Batman...

Crane Operator
Mammoet Australia
Rye Park Wind Farm
66STNG
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by 66STNG »

Pinto-Pete wrote:Don't think your really after advice, more vindication of your preferred method of tackling the job at hand which is fine, although asking for and receiving said advice and promptly burning the advice giver may limit responses to your posts in the future,.. just sayin.
I’m not going to get into a slinging match with you.
However I need to clarify that I asked for advice of how to do the job, not why I couldn’t do it. At no time did I burn Kerry’s advice, as in his first post he simply stated how it couldn’t be done with the method I suggested. That’s great and I’m greatful, however that response did not answer my question, did it pinto??

In his last post he did however explain the best way to tackle the work, so thankyou Kerry.
Maybe you should reconsider you post. Just sayin....
66 basket case
hybrid
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by hybrid »

66STNG wrote: In his last post he did however explain the best way to tackle the work, so thankyou Kerry.
Last post or second last (first)?
His last post was just saying that oxy leaves the weld most malleable, not that you should use it to patch the roof.
His advise was not to patch the roof in the first post. At least that's how I'm reading his two posts.

Edit: if you go down that path anyway, I'd be telling your mate that it's been advised against so it's on him if he wants you to do it.
Last edited by hybrid on Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
ozbilt
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ozbilt »

My last post was in relation to spread of heat in TIG welding.

It had nothing to do with the subject of welding a patch in a hole in a roof.

Any welding will destroy that roof panel as it is flat. Over 50 years of experience is on my side and I would not touch it. I saw a guy destroy a very rare Alfa by trying to fill a sunroof. I would put a Monaro in that same category (however rusty it is) as you will never find a roof panel to replace the one that will be stuffed.

Locate a full roof off a donor and use it, otherwise leave the sunroof in it like Jacko did.
Last edited by ozbilt on Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kerry

Ausjacko
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Ausjacko »

Bit confused here. Was the last but for the first post the one he was referring to or the last last one after the second one. Pete?
'68 J-code GT Fastback
'67 S-code GT coupe, 'Pink Bitz' formerly known as 'Hookin' up a brother'
'69 M_____ GTS Fastback 'Blasted'
Pinto-Pete
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Pinto-Pete »

No idea wtf your on about jacko, but luckily for you what ever your on is probably legal in the act...
I'm Batman...

Crane Operator
Mammoet Australia
Rye Park Wind Farm