1234YF highly flamable- WTF?

Need help on paint, paint prep, welding, engines etc?

Moderator: Moderators

rkmiller73
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

1234YF highly flamable- WTF?

Post by rkmiller73 »

I just read this article : https://www.originalair.com/never-conve ... dium=email

It is from the guys I got my upgraded retrofit A/C parts so not trying to advertise for them on my last build a few years ago.

HOWEVER: that stuff is highly flammable! A/C systems leak all the time when older so are we going to have a lot of car fires in a few years?

Sounds mighty dangerous to me. Maybe the safer for the environment means that there are fewer people around?l
Last edited by rkmiller73 on Sun Aug 25, 2019 9:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
ozbilt
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: 1234YF highly flamable- WTF?

Post by ozbilt »

I came across that when I had my shop in CA (pre 07).

Seems you could get the gas from just about anywhere and do it yourself. Bloody dangerous when not labeled when working on it.
Kerry

To our wives and sweethearts. May they never meet
hybrid
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by hybrid »

If it's the gas I'm thinking of then it's pretty much LPG.
I've spoken to my dad (aircon engineer) about it many times.

When installing in a house, they have to calculate the size of the area and the amount of gas in the unit to make sure it's not dangerous.
It's a fairly specific concentration of gas to air that is really dangerous.

Is it possible we will see some fires, but there is not a huge amount of refrigerant in a car aircon unit.
Shaunp
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Shaunp »

I've used Hi chill in cars it works very well, its tested to be safe due to the low concentration and I think you use less charge . When my dad worked at BP refinery quite a few guys used to run the AC on straight LPG, in old R12 systems
rkmiller73
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by rkmiller73 »

Interesting.
I have found with R134 that a little leaks out over the winter and I have had new O rings installed, etc. several times. The R12 wasn't an issue for leaking.

So maybe the YF stuff is not as dangerous as it sounds when a professional uses it?
Shaunp
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Shaunp »

rkmiller73 wrote:Interesting.
I have found with R134 that a little leaks out over the winter and I have had new O rings installed, etc. several times. The R12 wasn't an issue for leaking.

So maybe the YF stuff is not as dangerous as it sounds when a professional uses it?
The Hichill propane based gas is very efficient and runs at much low pressure as a result, compared 134A I ran it for about 4 years in my Landrover Discovery, with no issue, I'll likely run it my 67 as well. My Auto electrician buddy swears by it in old cars. And its a faction of the price of 134a. All automotive refrigerant is flammable, due to the oil in it. I had an Engine fire in a Jaguar V12 years ago, and the main fuel for the fire, was not the petrol fire which is what started it, it was after an AC line let go and the oil came out of it caused the most fire damage at line pressure

https://hychill.com.au/products/minus-30