Bosch starter?

Need help on paint, paint prep, welding, engines etc?

Moderator: Moderators

smh00n
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Re: Bosch starter?

Post by smh00n »

Yep, some other forums are just for dick measuring. That's why I don't do clubs
ozbilt
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ozbilt »

The pic above is mine. Identified by the round table and Harry's paw in the shot ?
Kerry

To our wives and sweethearts. May they never meet
DD289
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by DD289 »

Unilec, how did you end up going with the Bosch starter? My old clapper has just shat itself so I'm in the market for a new one.
"Hey Steve, I hope we can put this back together" - Ozbilt
unilec5544
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by unilec5544 »

The picture on the automotive superstore showed the bosch starter, but after paying and receiving, it turned out to be a Jaylec starter motor. i wrote to them and complained and was told the bosch was either not made any more or was unavailable. Anyway after giving me a $10 discount voucher if I spent $100 or more and that the jaylec came with a 3 year guarantee, I decided to keep it. The starter motor seemed to be well made and fitted very well, it even came with the adaptor plate for manual or auto cars.
I have only been driving the car in and out of my workshop at the moment, so apart from that not a lot of use as yet. Unfortunately I must have thrown the box out, but if you need the part number, I will climb (need a lift really bad now) under the car this weekend and see if I can find one.
hybrid
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by hybrid »

I got my Bronco BXA005N Bosch (genuine) from supercheap on ebay.
Even if you can't see them listed on there any more, you can probably order one from them, or from Repco.
hybrid
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by hybrid »

DD289
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by DD289 »

Thanks Hybrid, they actually had it on special for about $148 ending last Sunday, but not in stock in stores. If ordered online the special didn't apply. Nor could you place order on phone in store, so the only way to get the special price was go to a store and pay a deposit. That didn't happen.

OK, so here's my deal... whether it's $148 or $183 is neither here or there, but getting the right starter that will fit is the important thing. I remembered some discussion during "Operation Stick Shift"about auto vs manual trans, and maybe fitting the late model Falcon starter at the time.

So I went back and had a look at the thread. Ozbilt had actually sourced the late model 6 cyl Falcon unit with a view to fitting it, but if I recall looking at a spacer (which in the end didn't fit due to the O/D of at least one section). And, there may also have been a potential issue with the solenoid fouling on the standard steering. OK, so, like the monkey in the bar said... "Is this going somewhere?" Well, hopefully, yes.

So a mate gives me a starter that he removed from his 351W / top-loader equipped XY, just in case it looks like it would suit. The answer was "no" due to (but not necessarily limited to) the following:
a) The O/D of the rebated section of the bell-housing end of the starter is about 105mm, which means it will not fit into the hole in the plate between the block and bell-housing. Said hole is approx 104mm O/D, which accommodates the clapper at approx 103.5mm. I remember a similar discrepancy involving a spacer when we were looking at fitting up the 6 cyl Falcon unit.
b) The position of the drive pinion would be too far away from the ring gear on the flywheel.

Anyways, so I go looking for specs on the Bosch BXA005N starter to establish if it will actually suit my setup, before I actually order one, but to no avail. Keeping in mind I have the Modern Driveline T5 conversion, which, in the end accommodated the clapper I took of the old standard C4 bell-housing.

SO... does anyone have any specs or better still physically have one of these puppies to look at? And has anyone fitted one up?

Further, during the clapper fail, I also managed to burn out the wire that connects to the "I" position on the fender-mounted relay. This baby apparently feed 12V directly to the ignition coil during start-up, bypassing the factory current-limiting resistor. (BTW, I think the resistor may be gone on my coupe, as it has an "electronic" dizzy, but if anyone can tell me where the resistor was locacted originally this may clear things up). I suspect this wire burn-out occurred due to a dead short in the starter causing current to be drawn through my ignition switch whilst trying to start the engine after the starter shat itself. I say this after looking at the schematic. To digress a little, whilst tracing that wire back (following a wiring diagram I have) with a view to checking for further wiring damage, I get back to my ignition switch. It this point a non-factory wire dislodged from the tail hanging out of the damned ignition switch. No problem, I'll plug it back in. Not so simple... in doing so the 55 year-old brittle tail breaks at the joint of the socket! Probably a good thing I find this now rather than out on a country road on a dark night. So, this gets me thinking about the condition of the rest of the wiring, and that it's probably also on borrowed time!

So now, I'm starting to think about a new wiring harness... recommendations welcome.

Now, apart from seeking info on starter specs and compatibility, and opinions on wiring harnesses, I'll mention something I thought about when reading up on the starter conversion herein... that is with respect to the comment about being concerned about longevity of the ignition switch, and covering that by installing a relay. The way I see it, if one's standard fender-mounted starter relay is actually in good working order, this may be utilised for such a purpose. You could run a wire from either the high-current output terminal of the relay to the new (Bosch) starter solenoid, or, even from the "I" connection of the relay, as this is supplies effectively a direct connection to the battery positive when the relay is activated by the ignition switch. I suppose an in-line fuse would be a good idea.

OK, over to the forum... let's go!

PS, looks like I'm back - DD289
DD289
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by DD289 »

unilec5544 wrote:The picture on the automotive superstore showed the bosch starter, but after paying and receiving, it turned out to be a Jaylec starter motor. i wrote to them and complained and was told the bosch was either not made any more or was unavailable. Anyway after giving me a $10 discount voucher if I spent $100 or more and that the jaylec came with a 3 year guarantee, I decided to keep it. The starter motor seemed to be well made and fitted very well, it even came with the adaptor plate for manual or auto cars.
I have only been driving the car in and out of my workshop at the moment, so apart from that not a lot of use as yet. Unfortunately I must have thrown the box out, but if you need the part number, I will climb (need a lift really bad now) under the car this weekend and see if I can find one.
Thanks Unilec, I just saw this after my (lengthy) post about the issues in my coupe. Don't go getting dirty just yet... let's see what I come up with.
DD289
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by DD289 »

hybrid wrote:I got my Bronco BXA005N Bosch (genuine) from supercheap on ebay.
Even if you can't see them listed on there any more, you can probably order one from them, or from Repco.
Thanks Hybrid, just saw this after my other post as well. I guess you have somewhat answered my question! I don't suppose you have any info on the specs I'm after?
hybrid
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by hybrid »

Hi DD,
My engine is an older 302 block. I had a clapper on mine. I have an AOD trans in mine. The Bronco starter went straight in where I originally had the clapper.
Yes the 6cyl starter had clearance issues to my steering arm because the solenoid was on the bottom. The Bronco starter has the solenoid on the top so it has no issue with stock steering. We used the 6cyl starter on Cages car (rack & pinion conversion) with no issue.
Looks like you're close to me - if you need to, you could come over to mine and do any measurements you need. Or if you have a hoist, we can do it at yours instead :lol:
Last edited by hybrid on Wed Mar 11, 2020 3:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
DD289
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by DD289 »

Thanks Hybrid, no hoist at my place unfortunately, so I’m rocking it old school trolley jack and axle stand style. Let’s see what else pops up.
DD289
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by DD289 »

OK, So I slip into the local Repco and they tell me the Bosch Starter has been discontinued. So I quickly order one online at Supercheap. A few business days later I get a call from Supercheap telling me they are out of stock, and the item has been discontinued. I got a tip that Rocket Industries have some starters that would do the trick... had a look online and there seems to me about half a dozen different options (Aeroflow, MSD etc). Suit street/race applications etc. Before I go out there to take a look I wonder if anyone on the forum has been down the Rocket Industries path? Of course I could always fit another clapper but I really like the idea of a gear reduction unit after fitting one to the 350 in our boat... it's a game changer.
DD289
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by DD289 »

Update, ended up grabbing a "Re-manufactured" unit from Sydney Mustang Parts. Bolted it on and Bob's your Uncle. Lets hope it lasts longer than the last re-manufactured unit I bought a few years ago. Still keen on a gear reduction unit, but it's shifted a bit further down the priority list.
hybrid
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by hybrid »

DD289 wrote:OK, So I slip into the local Repco and they tell me the Bosch Starter has been discontinued. So I quickly order one online at Supercheap. A few business days later I get a call from Supercheap telling me they are out of stock, and the item has been discontinued. I got a tip that Rocket Industries have some starters that would do the trick... had a look online and there seems to me about half a dozen different options (Aeroflow, MSD etc). Suit street/race applications etc. Before I go out there to take a look I wonder if anyone on the forum has been down the Rocket Industries path? Of course I could always fit another clapper but I really like the idea of a gear reduction unit after fitting one to the 350 in our boat... it's a game changer.
I had a cheapy gear reduction one on mine for a while until it crapped its pants. You could bolt it up at any angle pretty much to clear anything you needed to. So yes as long as they're for a windsor they would work fine.
toyosan
Baby Mustang
Baby Mustang

Post by toyosan »

If anyone's interested I can get them through Cool Drive for $165.00