Talk to me about nitrous

Need help on paint, paint prep, welding, engines etc?

Moderator: Moderators

Husky65
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Talk to me about nitrous

Post by Husky65 »

Firstly, I know the legal side to it so that's not what I'm after. This isn't for street driving, this is more of a 'cause I can' thing and would only be used at the track.

Who here has played with nitrous in the past? What were your experiences?
I feel like i know a bit about it in a theoretical aspect, but I've never played with it in my life.

The way I think I could use it for my setup would be using a small dry shot straight into the intake. I can use my Haltech to control it. So I can put a 12v input into the Haltech, which will then activate the nitrous based on whatever parameters I put in, such as throttle %, rpm, water temp etc.

With the novi 2000, once it hits sort of 4500ish all hell breaks loose. But between 2500-to 4000ish it's a bit "laggy". So I thought I could put in like a small 50hp shot at about 3000ish, which would then shut off at 4500 or whatever. A side benefit is that it can cool the intake charge, but I'm using water/meth also so I don't know if that's a factor now.

Still running the stock block so wouldn't want to put much more than 50hp in, but once the dart block goes in.....hoorah!

Thoughts, opinions, "you're an idiot for even thinking about it" :rotfl2:
Last edited by Husky65 on Sun Nov 04, 2018 6:41 pm, edited 3 times in total.
hybrid
Mustang King
Mustang King

Re: Talk to me about nitrous

Post by hybrid »

Instant power... until something melts!
You have a sickness mate :mrgreen:

If you want the power that badly, here is what I would do in all seriousness.
Sell the novi setup - you should get good money for it.

1) Get Kerry to ditch your towers (might also help cure your storage issue while you're away).
2) Put two turbos on it
3) WIN

If I had my time again, my towers would be the first thing to go.
Husky65
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by Husky65 »

hybrid wrote: If I had my time again, my towers would be the first thing to go.
Nobody said you can't have your time again :spoton:
Just get that metal saw out and start cutting.

I think i've accepted the fact I actually like working on the car and trying different things that I haven't played with before.
It's actually not max power I'm after, but just the experience of playing with different concepts. I am well aware financially this is a poor option ha ha.

A turbo is on the horizon, but I'd like to play with this setup more.
jbb
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by jbb »

Husky65 wrote:
" once it hits sort of 4500ish all hell breaks loose. But between 2500-to 4000ish it's a bit "laggy".

Thats weird.
i dont notice that sort of lag with my 1200 Novi !?
how's Jeffs car go for lag??
Husky65
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by Husky65 »

I was probably a bit over reacting in that statement. Pulls what I would call hard from probably 4k. Tire break loose not long after(well the shitty tires anyway).

The novi 2000 is a fair bit bigger than the 1200. Perhaps its powerband is a bit higher ?
jbb
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by jbb »

Sorry .
misunderstood a bit ?
Yeah, i thought they would likely have different characteristics.
My 67 pulls hard at a couple of thou and keeps going.

I have my intercooler setup done and changed a pulley size, but tuner is snowed under until the 13th :impatient: :impatient:
ill be interested to see how goes compared to when he had it the other month with stock pulley and without the cooler (had high intake temps then )
Shaunp
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Shaunp »

It needs more stroke, so it makes some more torque down low, with a longer con rod, that's your issue. 302's really need to turn to 7k, the 302 Trans-am's rev limit at 7500, 351 are 7k. But in class with no rpm limit you want to turn a 302 to nearly 8k.
Husky65
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by Husky65 »

Keep to the topic Shaun ha ha.....the stroker will come down the track, just be patient
Shaunp
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Shaunp »

Husky65 wrote:Keep to the topic Shaun ha ha.....the stroker will come down the track, just be patient
George has some good parts he may part with, needs more cam though "DART"
Husky65
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by Husky65 »

You chickening out George?
Husky65
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by Husky65 »

jbb wrote:
I have my intercooler setup done and changed a pulley size, but tuner is snowed under until the 13th :impatient: :impatient:
ill be interested to see how goes compared to when he had it the other month with stock pulley and without the cooler (had high intake temps then )
Yeah will be interesting with the intercooler. I wonder how much boost you will lose with the intercooler. The smaller pulley and more timing with the cooler intake temps will more than make up for any of that though. Please post up results once you get it tuned
jbb
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by jbb »

yeah, supposed to not lose too much through the cooler, but my idea was exactly what you said with the pulley change,.
Not really after more boost rather than counteracting the cooler losses.
Had 311 at rear on dyno without the cooler.
Interesting to see output and intake temps next week. should have back by the end of next week.
Ausjacko
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Ausjacko »

Oh goodie, another 'hill climb come burn-out tech run' scheduled for latter next week then?
'68 J-code GT Fastback
'67 S-code GT coupe, 'Pink Bitz' formerly known as 'Hookin' up a brother'
'69 M_____ GTS Fastback 'Blasted'
gbx78
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by gbx78 »

Haha no no. Bought a house and moved. Concentrating on garage extension for hoist first. I have everything for engine now. Just need my mate to machine and assemble. Looking fwd to being part of that ... once extension is done and hoist installed then prob play with some aods first then engine.

Sounds like you are loving tinkering...blown...meth..nitrous..big brakes.. good stuff.
Last edited by gbx78 on Wed Nov 07, 2018 3:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
'You can never test fire too many times.' - Hybrid

'You can never have too many gauges' -
Boofhead