Speedo and power hose ??

Need help on paint, paint prep, welding, engines etc?

Moderator: Moderators

unilec5544
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Speedo and power hose ??

Post by unilec5544 »

Just want to get the speedo and power steering working on my 65 FB, so because its RHD, need a power steering hose from the pump to the XF power steering box. I have found that pirtek make them, so will try there. I also have read somewhere that the early falcon speedo cables will be long enough to reach the C4 as well, but cant find which one. Does anyone in Perth know of any place that makes speedo cables and power steering hoses?

Thanks, Neil.
Nuts
Mustang King
Mustang King

Re: Speedo and power hose ??

Post by Nuts »

I usually use a 69 speedo cable with RHD conversions snd run it across the top of the bellhousing.
My Motto - Don't get Caught! If you do, Blame Someone Else!

MUSTANG - Fantastic Not Plastic
Shaunp
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Shaunp »

You can buy the hose ready made from Bursons bit over $100, I used C4 one on my 67 for the Toplaoder, so perhaps for a C4 you need a toploader one. Robin Bath at Mustang auto parts in Brisbane knows this stuff it was him that said, I needed a C4 cable for RHD Top loader car
unilec5544
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by unilec5544 »

Nuts wrote:I usually use a 69 speedo cable with RHD conversions snd run it across the top of the bellhousing.
Thanks nuts, I have a 69 so will see if its longer, I can get one made to length through a guy on ebay, but I read a long while ago that early V8 falcon ones would fit.
unilec5544
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by unilec5544 »

Shaunp wrote:You can buy the hose ready made from Bursons bit over $100, I used C4 one on my 67 for the Toplaoder, so perhaps for a C4 you need a toploader one. Robin Bath at Mustang auto parts in Brisbane knows this stuff it was him that said, I needed a C4 cable for RHD Top loader car

Thanks Shaun, so do Bursons make it to the length I want or do they measure stock ones? I have the original speedo cable from my C4, but its to short for rhd I may take it to Bursons as well maybe they can find a longer one.
Last edited by unilec5544 on Fri Sep 28, 2018 5:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
ozbilt
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ozbilt »

unilec5544 wrote:
Shaunp wrote:You can buy the hose ready made from Bursons bit over $100, I used C4 one on my 67 for the Toplaoder, so perhaps for a C4 you need a toploader one. Robin Bath at Mustang auto parts in Brisbane knows this stuff it was him that said, I needed a C4 cable for RHD Top loader car

Thanks Shaun, so do Bursons make it to the length I want or do they measure stock ones? I have the original speedo cable from my C4, but its to short for rhd I may take it to Bursons as well maybe they can find a longer one.
The way Shaun's post reads to me is that Bursons carry the power steering hose (I imagine off an XF Falcon).

The speedo cable is from Robin Bath. However, I am the same as Nuts, use the 69 Mustang cable as it is long enough.
Kerry

To our wives and sweethearts. May they never meet
nassi
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by nassi »

I thought the 69 speedo cable clipped onto the speedo whereas the 66 is threaded? It has been a while though.
Shaunp
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Shaunp »

Yes Burson have the power steer hose there 2 the the XA-XB etc the early ford pumps the late XF suits the later pumps. I used an XF one and picked up an adaptor at Hosefixers to fit the Saginaw box. The LHD Toploader cable is longer than a C$ as the speedo drive is on the opposite side of the box. So the C4 shorter and suits RHD toploader car. So Im assuming a toploader cable will be longer than a c4
Shaunp
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Shaunp »

I made the return line out of 3/8 fuel line, the XF line need a bit of rebending, but works fine

Shaunp
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Shaunp »

Nuts
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Nuts »

Crap you're right Nassi. I must have used a 68 one for a C6. They're around 80in long. Failing that, go for an XY C4 one like this one https://mustangautoparts.com.au/product ... e-c4-xr-xy
My Motto - Don't get Caught! If you do, Blame Someone Else!

MUSTANG - Fantastic Not Plastic
Shaunp
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Shaunp »

Still reckon a 67/68 Toploader one may be long engough
Shaunp
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Shaunp »

Found some better pictures,The return line was too long on the pump end, I'v cut that back to the vertical bit near the shock tower and reflared the end
Last edited by Shaunp on Fri Sep 28, 2018 8:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
unilec5544
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by unilec5544 »

nassi wrote:I thought the 69 speedo cable clipped onto the speedo whereas the 66 is threaded? It has been a while though.
Good pick up nassi, saves me groveling under the 69 dash.
unilec5544
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by unilec5544 »

Nuts wrote:Crap you're right Nassi. I must have used a 68 one for a C6. They're around 80in long. Failing that, go for an XY C4 one like this one https://mustangautoparts.com.au/product ... e-c4-xr-xy
Thanks Nuts, it mentions the length is 240cm, that sound like a hell of a long cable.