LED and HID Bulbs? Don't upgrade before you read this

Need help on paint, paint prep, welding, engines etc?

Moderator: Moderators

Edz66Vert
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

LED and HID Bulbs? Don't upgrade before you read this

Post by Edz66Vert »

Before you upgrade read the following articles from Daniel Stern. He's a lighting engineer and actually explains why these bulbs should not be retrofitted to a H4 headlight with great technical diagrams. I've seen a number of cars fitted with these bulbs in the old reflector and you can always pick them by the glare thrown out in every direction.

Daniel Stern Lighting

Thinking of converting your halogen headlamps to HID or LED?
'So you've read about HID headlamps and have it in mind to convert your car. A few mouse clicks on the web, and you've found a couple of outfits offering to sell you a "conversion" that will fit any car with a given type of halogen bulb, for between $150 and $600. STOP, put away that credit card. Trying to "convert" halogen headlamps to HID is an unsafe thing to do. There are NO legitimate or safe HID bulb retrofits for halogen headlamps. Here's why.'

The blue bulb controversy: They look cool but are they useful? You might want to read this before you buy some.
Myths debunked: Here's an article on PIAA SuperWhite, Raybrig HyperWhite and Fet-Catz HyperBulb bulbs.
Bulb Descriptions and Ratings: Here is a listing of all known fog, head and driving bulb types, with specs and ratings.
HID lamps: Are HID ("Xenon") lamps better, and why "upgrading" to them may not be the best idea.

Laser headlights are here
If you think you are being blinded by the HID and LED lights on new cars, laser headlights are now on the road.
Laser Headlights – BMW and Audi have these in some of their cars

https://www.osram.com/am/specials/trend ... /index.jsp

'As a result of this laser technology, the full beam of these vehicles have a range of up to 600 meters - double the distance of the current standard LED headlights. The BMW i8 and the Audi R8 LMX were launched almost at the same time as the first series production vehicles with laser headlights.'
Checkout my car builds - edzv8s.com
66 Convertible Bench Seat AODE 3.5 9"