God's car- 1968 Fastback (red of course)

Create your project threads here if you prefer to keep them out of the regular forums

Moderator: Moderators

Ausjacko
Mustang King
Mustang King

God's car- 1968 Fastback (red of course)

Post by Ausjacko »

As I don't have a build thread as such on this car, (her arse is depicted to the left there) I thought I would post the little bits I do along the way. I spent 12 months a long time ago getting the car registered and now she only needs maintenance. This weekend it was time to stop- with the brakes.

For a while now the red car has been a little less than enjoyable to drive. Well that is not entirely true. Don’t get me wrong, it was still cooler than say a coupe or anything after 1971 and far better than a non-V8 (be still my pets this is only the second sentence) but the brakes were less than good.

She starts well, idles like a Tesla, goes pretty hard but the stopping is a little unsettling. When the stop pedal is needed, she has a nasty habit of pulling right just enough to scare you before engaging the left side and pulling up straight. Not an issue on long drives but rather disconcerting around town.

Now, way back when Mark and Marg had Capital Classics, I knew I was going to refurb the brakes when I had time. Marg fixed me up (Mark was eating three dim sims with salt as I recall) with the caliper seal kits, upper control arms (as I only replaced the lower ones looong ago) and reversing light lenses; not relevant here but for the sack of completeness. I had swapped out the lower control arms when I first bought the car way back when.

Enter a three year build on the Holdon and a few other complications along the way and I was now ready. Car jacked up on stands, wheels whipped off with my new mag wheel sockets courtesy of 60% off sale at supercheap and I was away.

Removed the brake fail sensor thingy in the distribution block and installed the locking pin thingy. Brake hose clamps installed and stainless wire ties removed. Cracked the master cylinder and was confronted with this

Now, I am no brake technician but ooze in there it not a ‘good thing’. This might get interesting.

This is how the drivers side assembly looked. Nothing too bad just in need of some lovin’

Calipers unbolted, only two bolts hold the thing on- but they are big bolts. Calipers are the Kelsey Hayes single piston type. They have what appears to be 317 – KH stamped into the shoulder of the sliding plate

Not unexpectedly but worryingly, I could not compress the piston from either caliper. This was telling me that getting the pistons out was going to be ‘interesting’.

I decided to work on one unit and keep the other as a reference.
Drivers side:

The pads come out by removing the spring clips that hold pins in place through the non-piston side. The other pad is held in place by spring clips that hold it via tangs to the piston face.

Compressed air liberated this piston no worries

Bit of mud and yuck on the pistons but no wear or pitting to the bore

Cone of death time and this cleaned up. Got a shard from that thing stuck in my leg that I did not notice until the next morning- 10mm long!

Here is how the bore and piston cleaned up

And here is the Kelsey Hayes piston ready for another 50 years.

New seal and boot installed and piston carefully eased back home. Here is the old and new

The other side was similar but a bit more difficult. Had a job to get that piston out but she eventually succumbed. It would only move slightly, hence the sudden clamp and pull to one side I was experiencing. Like the other side, other than some crap that cleaned off with a scotchbrite pad, they were in great shape. New seals and boot installed and the piston slid home again.

Next challenge came finding the right pads. Big Mc helped here to confirm the Bendix S776 (same as on the X series falcons) are the same as the original pads. But these do not use the pin and spring clip, instead using the single spring wire clip into a hook cast into the metal backing plate. I actually drilled the new pads to accept the original pins to retain that original look.

Here they are both cleaned:

And while the car was sitting on stands, I used JBB’s spring compressors to help swap out the upper control arms on both sides. Remember I changed the lowers way back when.

And then it was time to reinstall the master cylinder and let the new fluid run through. Bummer, she was not flowing on the drivers side. Disconnected this from the distribution block and removed from the car. Compressed air confirmed we had a blockage. This is the original flexible hose as it has the Ford logo and part number stamped into the brass end; read it was important to retain if I could.

Wire, compressed air and WD40 still could not get that thing to flow. A call to JBB was enough to convince me to try again with stronger wire. Another hour of trying and I was getting somewhere. I eventually was able to thread some thin stainless wire through the length of the hose sufficient to move it and clean out the crap inside. My hose was now flowing again!

Next day and time to reinstall everything and check flow. My now rejuvenated hose was flowing well as was the passenger side. Reconnected everything back up and decided to bleed the rears, just to clean any crap out of those lines. Lucky I did as a bit of crap came out from both sides before the new blue fluid flowed.

Back on the ground and time for a test drive. Brakes work like a champ with no hint of pulling/grabbing to one side under soft and hard braking. Got to love that! The car is a joy, once again, to drive.

Thanks to JBB and Big Mc.
Last edited by Ausjacko on Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:27 am, edited 4 times in total.
'68 J-code GT Fastback
'67 S-code GT coupe, 'Pink Bitz' formerly known as 'Hookin' up a brother'
'69 M_____ GTS Fastback 'Blasted'
nassi
Mustang King
Mustang King

Re: God's car- 1968 Fastback (red of course)

Post by nassi »

Nice one Jacko.
hybrid
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by hybrid »

Ausjacko wrote: Don’t get me wrong, it was still cooler than say a coupe
That's a banning.
Ausjacko
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Ausjacko »

hybrid wrote:
Ausjacko wrote: Don’t get me wrong, it was still cooler than say a coupe
That's a banning.
Can you say 'kiss my hairy bean bag' here?
'68 J-code GT Fastback
hybrid
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by hybrid »

That's also a banning.
Ausjacko
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Ausjacko »

hybrid wrote:That's also a banning.
Will have to start calling you Eddie Hybrid

I know, I know, I am banned after the other two bannings expire...
'68 J-code GT Fastback
Pinto-Pete
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Pinto-Pete »

All right,... jacko's on a hat trick..
I'm Batman...

Crane Operator
Mammoet Australia
Rye Park Wind Farm
lukep6470
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by lukep6470 »

I didn't realise "Cone of Death" was a standard industry term for that device. It's not the first time I've heard it.

I used a brass wire one on the cast iron block when changing the head gaskets. No chance of abrasives left in the bores. Used the little dremel ones on the Alloy heads.