https://amp.smh.com.au/business/compani ... 4zikr.html
Kerry

To our wives and sweethearts. May they never meet
Dwayne
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Re: This will make things a bit more difficult

Post by Dwayne »

Jeez, I better order that borgeson steering box soon then.
hybrid
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by hybrid »

This prompted me to send an email to my local member.
This policy is fucking stupid.
lukep6470
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by lukep6470 »

So let's see, the same companies that lobbied for this also pushed for the end of penalty rates, want to drop the minimum wage, and are stunned no one wants to work weekends any more.

HN and the retailers associations think this is bloody fantastic!!!!
malscar
Senior Mustang
Senior Mustang

Post by malscar »

Had a look at comparable stuff on Amazon UK and Aust. Oh well, looks like I am possibly paying double for the same product plus some are not available on the Aust site. At least I will be saving money to put into the Mussie.
Dwayne
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by Dwayne »

The Aussie prices are often double.
hybrid
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by hybrid »

malscar wrote:Had a look at comparable stuff on Amazon UK and Aust. Oh well, looks like I am possibly paying double for the same product plus some are not available on the Aust site. At least I will be saving money to put into the Mussie.
Yes and this is partly what I said to my local federal member. If more overseas marketplaces (ebay could be next) follow amazons lead, you can bet your balls that local retailers will bump prices up like they used to.

I remember paying 2-3 times the price for parts from Rocket Industries when they had it all to themselves. Their prices have been more decent since they've had to compete on a global marketplace.

The government might think they are helping Australian businesses (if they are legit about their reasons for changing this and not just helping out their mates), but the benefit to business is yet to be seen. The impact on individual Australians though is obvious.
smh00n
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by smh00n »

I have started to question the local suppliers on their pricing, and find they will meet the market.

My Borgeson kit cost me the same same as buying from the US after I showed the seller (in Melbourne I think) that I could land it here for $xx dollars, well below his ask.

I just priced some dash parts and a local Sydney seller with a blokes name was about 10 bucks more than buying from Summit. So he gets the nod. Same place supplied with with a new printed circuit for $90 at my door, very competitive with US.

I think we have to shop around and ask some of the sellers why they are charging so much for parts. A decent operator will be getting a good discount from the supplier which should make their profit margin.
And also remember that Aussie has a free trade agreement with US and bits that cost less than $2,500US are free from duty (but not GST when you bring them in). Problem is getting the Toll/Fedex people to accept that and not just ignore it and charge the duty. They all go deerrrr when I ask them.

I used to own a business bringing in car parts from UK and I didn't bend people over because I didn't need to, I knew the system and worked it.

So moral is ask sellers why a USD$50 retail item prices up here at well over $150? Example is a power steer valve rebuild kit. 50-60 bucks all day in the US, postage is about 40USD so for AU$108.00 it was in my hand. Those that do bump prices will soon find out when we buyers go elsewhere.
Last edited by smh00n on Fri Jun 01, 2018 6:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chux
Junior Mustang
Junior Mustang

Post by Chux »

The joke is that the political logic is "these big os companies now have to pay tax". Dickwads...they just add it on and we pay it. They know it but they just use the dumb ass logic to support themselves and butter up the political donors.
Cheers

Craig
hybrid
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by hybrid »

Yeah I read an article in the paper where they equated this to companies paying tax. It's so frustrating that they don't get questioned on their BS.
Shaunp
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Shaunp »

If you buy from Summit they already work out duty and such once you go over 1K and add it to the shipping, so do may ebay stores so it will go on every purchase now. I recently got a crank and rods locally price was less than Summit all up.
smh00n
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by smh00n »

That's the reason Amazon is stopping - our braindead government expected them to act the same as local business and collect GST and do a BAS return to give all the GST back. Not surprised Amazon said jam it.
The issue with duty is that Summit shipping guys don't care about the FTA so won't do any paperwork to reduce duty.

Only way to beat it is to send the bits to a local in US and have them send them to you. Obviously there is a step in there that needs to happen to satisfy the sub-$1,000 rule.

OR do multiple orders under $1,000 AUD to beat the duty rule.
hybrid
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by hybrid »

I've never seen anything attract duty if it's made in USA. My supercharger didn't have an duty on it. Pretty sure that either came from Summit or Jegs.
hybrid
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by hybrid »

This is the kind of BS they should not get away with.
Scott Morrison wrote: “This new law levels the playing field for Australian businesses, by forcing foreign businesses to pay GST,” Mr Morrison said in a statement. “The government doesn’t apologise for ensuring multinationals pay a fair amount of tax here in Australia. That tax revenue is used to fund essential services.

“A number of other countries are taking a similar approach and adopting a vendor collection model to collect GST from low value imported goods.

“Amazon will continue to operate in Australia via its Australian site, which will now offer an expanded range of products. A level playing field will help Australian businesses grow and create more jobs and opportunities.”

Mr Morrison added, “The second biggest company in the world, run by the richest man in the world, shouldn’t get a leave pass from paying tax in Australia.

“If multinationals aren’t forced to pay their fair share of tax, they will have a competitive advantage over retailers here in Australia, on our own main streets and in our shopping centres.

“I’m disappointed, but not surprised, the Labor Party has once again chosen to side with the big multinationals to try and protect them from paying their fair share of tax in Australia.”
Businesses DO NOT pay GST. We do!
Conflating the "big businesses not paying their fair share of tax" issue, and this GST issue is completely misleading and makes me sick.
I'm no fan of the Labor party, but if they opposed this, they are right to.

The worst part of this is that the media do not pick them up on this rubbish and just print it Verbatim.
smh00n
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by smh00n »

Hybrid that's correct. Australia has a free trade agreement (FTA) with the US. Anything USA made and costing under USD$2,500 does not attract duty. I spoke with Summit and was told they knew nothing about how to declare to the shippers its under a FTA.

Maybe you got the decent guy and I didn't