Vale David Channon aka Boofhead.

Discussion of upcoming events in the Events Calendar

Moderator: Moderators

ozbilt
Site Admin
Site Admin

Vale David Channon aka Boofhead.

Post by ozbilt »

We have just lost a great mate, mentor, stirrer as well as a very knowledgeable member of our small Tech corner of the WWW.

" I will someday think of something clever to say " ....... a signature from someone who always had something profound to say.

I was lucky enough to spend a lot of time with this incredible man. Sometimes in life, you meet people that can change your own life. Boof did that to me for the better. We did 3 overseas trips together and had a great 2,000 + kilometer road trip in his 65 fastback, along with many visits at each other's homes.

We we're never at a loss for conversation when together. I love his sense of humour (actually, his sense of the ridiculous, like mine). Thankfully I got to see the world from David's perspective, business like but with an altruistic bottom line, thanks mate.

David loves to stir the pot, especially when it comes to those that love playing with their engines. David is the devil on a lot of people's shoulder, whispering in their ear to spend more money on go fast bits.

Summit racing supplies in the USA, probably thinks that profits will go down with his passing, but he has snookered that thought by living on here, in our little corner of the world wide web, in our Tech Section ? Boof will continue to spend other people's money for a long time to come yet.

All this was because of his experience. His cars were well built, in fact the last two sold (302W powered Capri and his injected 302W 65 Mustang fastback) went to different very well known racing identities.

However, his engine building sometimes hit a few snags. Like the time he was helping a mate build a Holden 6 and because his friend lived in an apartment with only a tiny garage, they decided to assemble it on the balcony. Great idea for room to work, until it came time to carry the completed engine through the apartment and down the stairs. That engine came apart again and was reassembled downstairs. Sometimes the simplest things get past you ?

David gracefully dealt with the hand he had been given, something I do not know if I could do. His empathy for others astounds me, looking after his loved ones when I would be looking for pity.

We will miss you my friend, until we meet again. You will be easy to find as you will be hanging out with a bunch of rev heads in the great Formula 1 pit area in the sky ........

A footnote ........

David was diagnosed with Motor Neurone Disease (MND or ALS) around December 2015. He suspected something was wrong in August/September of that year. For a long time, only a few of us knew what he had, so his support network was quite small. Over time, of course, word got out & the network grew, however it was still not widely known as that was David's wish.

One thing I have always noted and it was so apparent in this case, good people are always surrounded by good people. Thank you to all that knew and helped in whatever way you could.

I cannot speak to much about the condition itself, only from what I have observed traveling & spending time with him. I can say it is one of the hardest things in life to watch a mate, who you have the greatest respect for, go through.

David did that with dignity & with a smile on his face.

More info here ..... https://www.mndaust.asn.au/Get-informed ... s-MND.aspx

And finally, some sobering figures .........

https://www.mndaust.asn.au/Get-informed ... gures.aspx

Kerry
Kerry

To our wives and sweethearts. May they never meet
hybrid
Mustang King
Mustang King

Re: Vale David Channon aka Boofhead.

Post by hybrid »

RIP buddy.
This is a disease I just can't get my head around. It was not all that long ago we were all at my place kicking the tyres on Martys car.
And now it's over so quickly.

I really never know what to do or say around this kind of situation. And I'm with you Kerry - I don't know how I would handle it, but only hope it would be half as well as David seemed to deal with it all.

My thoughts to all his friends and his partner son & daughter.
Nuts
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Nuts »

Ah Crap! Rest in Peace Boof.
My Motto - Don't get Caught! If you do, Blame Someone Else!

MUSTANG - Fantastic Not Plastic
Dwayne
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by Dwayne »

Oh no, he was always so helpful and never hesitated to point me in the right direction.

I've read his tech article many times and it still amazes me how well he explained complex things so laymen like me could understand.
lukep6470
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by lukep6470 »

Sorry to see him go. I me him a few times and went on a run to Samford in his 65.
gbx78
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by gbx78 »

I, like many of us, had the pleasure of meeting dave and developing a life long friendship of laughs, car stuff, travel and music!! Yes he was learning a stringed instrument. I learned soo much. What i did learn is his amazing character. .even at his worst time he stll had a smile and still wanted updates. My 363 build was for him.. we always talked about it and i will finish it in tribute to him.

What can you say.. hard to comprehend and undeserving..

Heres to you mate. See you on the flip side
'You can never test fire too many times.' - Hybrid

'You can never have too many gauges' -
Boofhead
soc123_au
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by soc123_au »

The world is a shittier place with his passing. The only consolation is he isn't suffering anymore. We had a few pretty dark conversations over the past 2 years, a lot of the conversations were about today. I am feeling relieved that it went down exactly as he hoped it would. For that I'm thankful.

You will be missed my friend.
StephenSLR
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by StephenSLR »

Sorry to hear this.

I lost a neighbour to MND and a friend's dad was recently diagnosed.

Apparently once diagnosed, you have anywhere from 3 months to 3 years so at least, if it's any consolation, he got the better end of the MND deal.

RIP

s
mikes68
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by mikes68 »

I will never forget the fun times and laughter we shared in China....

Farewell my friend, rest easy now. Your battle is done.
Fifty Years Afloat

We can't alter the direction of the wind,
But we can adjust our sails
nassi
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by nassi »

Shit been dreading this post.
Nothing more to say really but RIP.
Astro
Mustang Maniac
Mustang Maniac

Post by Astro »

RIP Boof.

Went out on your own terms in the face of a cruel end and a life cut way too short.

Respect brother.

See you out on a long twisty road one day...

Cheers

J
I love big birds - I cannot lie...
Ausjacko
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Ausjacko »

I only met Dave a few times at Big Mac's over the last few years. His disposition and help he gave to others cemented my view that he is a genuinely good guy. I, like many of you, read his articles and posts and went and redid it 'as Boof suggested'.

What a fucked disease MND and similar afflictions are.

RIP Boof

Jacko
'68 J-code GT Fastback
'67 S-code GT coupe, 'Pink Bitz' formerly known as 'Hookin' up a brother'
'69 M_____ GTS Fastback 'Blasted'
SouthernSun
Junior Mustang
Junior Mustang

Post by SouthernSun »

Thanks Kerry for your post.

Thoroughly enjoyed Boof's contribution to this site since its inception. Never met him, but felt like I knew him.

Godspeed.
Husky65
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by Husky65 »

Really sad, thoughts with those who were close to him.
malscar
Senior Mustang
Senior Mustang

Post by malscar »

Very sad to hear about David. It shows the measure of the person he was by reading how respected he was by others. Thank you Kerry for sharing your thoughts and memories. May David for ever more be driving a thumping V8 on a winding road into the sunset.