Project Lil Blue Coupe

Create your project threads here if you prefer to keep them out of the regular forums

Moderator: Moderators

Dwayne
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Re: Project Lil Blue Coupe

Post by Dwayne »

Edz66Vert wrote:
Sweet, looks nice, I may go down that path yet as I find the current tank a bit small.

Don't forget to triple check your welds for leaks with compressed air and a spray bottle of water and detergent (bubbles will appear), learnt that from experience, and it's no fun rewelding a tank after you have put fuel in ti as the petrol sits in all the crevices no matter how many time you rinse it. I was told the safest way then was fill it with an inert gas (Argon).
The detergent spray and air nozzle works perfectly in finding holes in a perfect looking weld 😱

I fixed all of the tiny pinholes in the new section last Sunday to make sure it was completely sealed before welding it into the new tank. Last night we welded it into the new tank and fixed nearly all of the leaks before running out of time, certainly not just a matter of running a single weld.

I've been told to pressurize the tank with 3-5psi and spray the detergent again as a final test to make sure we didn't miss anything.

I used this MRA Sniper Big Pod

And this fitting kit: EFI Hardware
Edz66Vert
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by Edz66Vert »

Hopefully the quality of the MRA super 'pod' (I think they mean pot as in swirl pot?) is better than their ad. I stopped counting at 12 spelling/grammar errors. I am always cautious buying something of an ebay seller who speaks 'chinglish'. Hopefully the quality of their product is good.

The EFI Hardware kit looks good, the combination is a lot cheaper than the other kit with the yellow foam liner, Aeropro I think?
Checkout my car builds - edzv8s.com
66 Convertible Bench Seat AODE 3.5 9"
Dwayne
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by Dwayne »

Think it's more a case of not paying attention at school.
Edz66Vert
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by Edz66Vert »

My problem is I'm still at school after 55 years being a Technology Teacher, but I get to retire at the end of next year.
Checkout my car builds - edzv8s.com
66 Convertible Bench Seat AODE 3.5 9"
rkmiller73
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by rkmiller73 »

That is good work!
Dwayne
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by Dwayne »

The megasquirt relay board is nearly finished, just need to add some power and solder the engine ground to the pad.

I swapped the board into a bigger case and I'm using ferules on the terminal black to keep the engineers at work happy 😊

I also upgraded the 20awg wires in the stock harness to 18awg for the injectors, and 14awg for the fuel pump.

Dwayne
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by Dwayne »

Is it worth shielding the CDI to Coil +- wires when running them within the engine harness and deutsch bulkhead fitting? I've only found a couple of posts about shielding them.

I'm only shielding the hall crank sensor wires (at one end), and running twisted pairs for all the other sensors to the ECU.
Last edited by Dwayne on Wed Nov 18, 2020 5:08 am, edited 2 times in total.
hybrid
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by hybrid »

I'm not sure it's a good idea to run those within your engine harness if it includes your sensors. Those CDI wires are going to be pretty noisy.
Dwayne
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by Dwayne »

That's what I was worried about but couldn't find much online about shielding them ... so thought perhaps it was just me being paranoid and uneducated (as usual).

Is there a general rule of thumb safe distance I need to keep them away from the main EFI harness? I can just run them through another bulkhead fitting.
Last edited by Dwayne on Wed Nov 18, 2020 9:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
hybrid
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by hybrid »

No rule of thumb really.
Are you putting the CDI box inside the car?
If so - yeah separate connector and harness is a good idea. Then you can just move them if they're causing issues.
Dwayne
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by Dwayne »

Either inside the car, or somewhere else I can find to hide it away.
ozbilt
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ozbilt »

Just make sure it is accessible. Build it "mechanic friendly".
Kerry

To our wives and sweethearts. May they never meet
Dwayne
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by Dwayne »

It fits nicely on the inside of the radiator support panel, just between the radiator and battery vent holes on the RHS of the car ... but wondering if it'll be too hot there.

Last edited by Dwayne on Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
unilec5544
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by unilec5544 »

if it's not a completely sealed unit don't fit it in the engine bay area, fit it inside the car, these electronic units are susceptible to ingress of moisture.
Pinto-Pete
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Pinto-Pete »

Dwayne wrote:It fits nicely on the inside of the radiator support panel, just between the radiator and battery vent holes on the RHS of the car ... but wondering if it'll be too hot there.

Interesting position of the top radiator outlet or am I missing something...?
I'm Batman...

Crane Operator
Mammoet Australia
Rye Park Wind Farm