Project Lil Blue Coupe

Create your project threads here if you prefer to keep them out of the regular forums

Moderator: Moderators

Dwayne
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Project Lil Blue Coupe

Post by Dwayne »

Seeing the forum slow down as everyone else enjoys driving their finished projects has prompted me to put up a post of my own 66 coupe.

It won't be as detailed as others as a) I'm slack b) I always forget to take photos, and c) I'm easily distrac ... oh look, shiny things.

My old 65 had some (ok, LOTS of) old and very dodgy rust repairs, so I was lucky enough to pick up a relatively rust free 66 shell before it was cut up for a full chassis drag car. Import approval has already been confirmed, so I'll be able to register it eventually.

The good:
It's not full of rust.

The bad:
The car had ugly square shoulder mini-tubs fitted;
Both rear quarter panels had been skinned below the belt line at some stage;
Bottom corners of rear windows sections rusted; and
LH leaf spring hanger has broken spot welds and rusted.

So far, most of the work has been on the front half:

Front torque boxes fitted;
Shock towers welded;
Shelby drop, with Ridetech ball joint wedges;
Opentracker adjustable lower camber kit, roller spring perches and roller idler arm (thanks Husky);
New upper and lower control control arms;
Whiteline 1" sway bar;
Kings springs;
Nolathane bushes on everything except the strut rods;
Master Power Brakes kelsey hayes power brake kit;
Maier tower brace; and
Radiator support opened up to fit EF radiator & twin fans.

I've also got a flaming river manual short shaft box and 68 collapsible column to replace the stock spear-o-matic.

Last edited by Dwayne on Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:47 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Ausjacko
Mustang King
Mustang King

Re: Project Lil Blue Coupe

Post by Ausjacko »

Excellent, a new build. Nassi, grab the chips and beer.
'68 J-code GT Fastback
'67 S-code GT coupe, 'Pink Bitz' formerly known as 'Hookin' up a brother'
'69 M_____ GTS Fastback 'Blasted'
ozbilt
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ozbilt »

Replace the square sholdered tubs with some inner wheel arches, you can move them to the outside of the rear rails , it is what the TA cars did back in the day. Outer wheel arches was a rolled piece of sheet metal that went direct to the quarter. Look in my Photobucket under 68 AIX as it has pics there.
Kerry

To our wives and sweethearts. May they never meet
Dwayne
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by Dwayne »

The rust patches underneath the rear window corners are finally done. These corners took me a lot longer than expected to make up, and took many attempts before I was happy with the results to weld them in place. A previous owner had coated the whole area with a thick black goop that was a nightmare to remove.

To replace the ugly tubs, I've fitted a pair of Goodmark 2" wider inner wheelhouses up against the stock rails. While speaking with my engineer, we decided not to notch the rails as in SA it would involve a full engineering report, torsional testing, lane change tests etc etc etc. Our current laws allow us to mini-tub without engineering if the frame and suspension points are unchanged, and the changes are not within 200mm of a seatbelt mount.

Currently, the new LH rear torque box is only tacked in place, and there are no rear quarters or catwalk panel on the car.

Everything up back is still square, but I'm about to test fit the rear suspension and panels to ensure everything still fits before welding the new torque box in properly.
Dwayne
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by Dwayne »

ozbilt wrote:Replace the square sholdered tubs with some inner wheel arches, you can move them to the outside of the rear rails , it is what the TA cars did back in the day. Outer wheel arches was a rolled piece of sheet metal that went direct to the quarter. Look in my Photobucket under 68 AIX as it has pics there.
Spot on Kerry, as you suggested I'll be making outer wheelhouses like your trans-am. They'll be glued to the rear quarters, and front & rear guards will be rolled & wired like most of your projects.

Dwayne
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by Dwayne »

Dwayne wrote:
ozbilt wrote:Replace the square sholdered tubs with some inner wheel arches, you can move them to the outside of the rear rails , it is what the TA cars did back in the day. Outer wheel arches was a rolled piece of sheet metal that went direct to the quarter. Look in my Photobucket under 68 AIX as it has pics there.
Spot on Kerry, as you suggested I'll be making outer wheelhouses like your trans-am. They'll be glued to the rear quarters, and front & rear guards will be rolled & wired like most of your projects.

Future plans for the chassis and suspension includes welding in my US Cartool subframe connectors and probably some Hane Performance narrow leaf springs for an extra 3/4" wheel clearance.

My colour choice has changed a few times so far, from satin black, to candy apple red. I was trying to choose an exterior colour to go with my old dark red & white pony interior that I've still got. Then I had a good look at the trim again and noticed all the issues with it.

I've always loved Grabber Blue with tan leather interior and realised that if I'm spending all this time and money it's crazy not to use the colour I really want. So, the colour will be similar to grabber blue, but perhaps a bit darker like Mike Maier's Old Blue:

Dwayne
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by Dwayne »

Drivetrain is largely MustangTech hand me downs.

Engine will be George's current Trickflow headed roller motor, but with a Comp Cams XE266HR-12 cam and an Edelbrock Pro-flo injection system and Patriot Clippster 1 5/8" middies into a stainless 2 1/4 twin system.

Hybrid's current AOD box will slot in behind the motor, and then back to an 8" diff with Yukon LSD and 3.80 gears.

Last edited by Dwayne on Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
nassi
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by nassi »

Ausjacko wrote:Excellent, a new build. Nassi, grab the chips and beer.
Its 5am, has to be coffee for me.
nassi
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by nassi »

A lot of work and thought going into this. Good to see.
Dwayne
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by Dwayne »

Now that I've finished playing sport and studying, I was just sitting on the couch every night bored shitless with nothing to do.

Now I can head out to the garage and spend an hour looking for the tool I had 5mins ago instead.
hybrid
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by hybrid »

Thanks for starting a project thread Dwayne.
Now I can stop doing things to my car to keep the site going... or I will have to find another excuse to keep doing it :mrgreen:
gbx78
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by gbx78 »

hybrid wrote:Thanks for starting a project thread Dwayne.
Now I can stop doing things to my car to keep the site going... or I will have to find another excuse to keep doing it :mrgreen:
Hahaha..

Ohh awesome!! Cant wait to see it come to together. You may have to pry my engine from my hands as you take it away. Fond memories and history with it.
'You can never test fire too many times.' - Hybrid

'You can never have too many gauges' -
Boofhead
Pinto-Pete
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Pinto-Pete »

Dwayne wrote:Drivetrain is largely MustangTech hand me downs.

Engine will be George's current Trickflow headed roller motor, but with a Comp Cams XE266HR-12 cam and an Edelbrock Pro-flo injection system and Patriot Clippster 1 5/8" middies into a stainless 2 1/4 twin system.

Hybrid's current AOD box will slot in behind the motor, and then back to an 8" diff with Yukon LSD and 3.80 gears.

Check for cages easter sale catalog. :like:
I'm Batman...

Crane Operator
Mammoet Australia
Rye Park Wind Farm
Dwayne
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by Dwayne »

The new GT500 hood and front valance arrived at last.

The fit on the all glass hood is pretty good and will mainly need work on back corners and smoothing underneath.

The Shelby valance will need lots of work thanks to our NSW branch's dodgy packing. I have a spare heavier glass one already that may end up using instead.
Last edited by Dwayne on Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Dwayne
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by Dwayne »

I bought some new valve covers off gumtree a couple of months ago and when I picked them up the seller was setting up a couple of big $$ carriers for some drag cars. A couple of weeks and $100 later he's built mine too.

It's now running a rebuilt Yukon LSD centre with 3.80 Richmond gears.

The pinion bearing carrier had to be shaved a little to give clearance for the LSD centre:

The new rear torque box is finally ready to be welded in by someone who can actually weld real good, so I'll get the diff housing painted up while I wait for him.