New Heart for Scarlet

Create your project threads here if you prefer to keep them out of the regular forums

Moderator: Moderators

Shaunp
Mustang King
Mustang King

Re: New Heart for Scarlet

Post by Shaunp »

Good sump, the gated diamond baffle is very effective as a road race sump. The non dry sump T/A cars use this basic design.
Husky65
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by Husky65 »

Nice sump. I always ran the bosch 044 on my skylines, a great pump. As you said though, you need the geniune ones. I was stung by a non genuine one which failed very quickly....so many fakes these days. What lift pump are you using?
gbx78
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by gbx78 »

Shaunp wrote:Good sump, the gated diamond baffle is very effective as a road race sump. The non dry sump T/A cars use this basic design.
Yeah im pretty impressed with it in design and quality. Ticks all the boxes.

Husky65 wrote:Nice sump. I always ran the bosch 044 on my skylines, a great pump. As you said though, you need the geniune ones. I was stung by a non genuine one which failed very quickly....so many fakes these days. What lift pump are you using?
Genuine Bosch all the way mate.. injectors and pump and not one problem with either in last 5 years...

lift pump, which is just a holley blue cause thats what I had when the car was carb'd.. its not as noisey, well i dont think so, as ppl make out. Yes i can hear it on startup but with the exhaust you can barely tell its there.. but its not obnoxious. .perhaps the mounting position and rubber mounts have alot to do with it. Can hear it in the cabin but more so background noise. I do like hearing it going. I do have a factory oem bosch pump i was going tobuse a while ago for more pressure intonthe surge tank but the holley works well. When it dies ill look at alternative non diaphram lift pump.

LEDS cover power at the pump for troubleshooting but there can be power and a dead pump. Thats where fuel pressure would be a better indication. . Thats next anyway. Waiting on a fuel pressure switch in the mail so i can log that..and see it in shadowdash .
Last edited by gbx78 on Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
'You can never test fire too many times.' - Hybrid

'You can never have too many gauges' -
Boofhead
lukep6470
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by lukep6470 »

Hi,

I hate to be a stick in the mud but I am not sure that sump will clear the 4 bolt mains on the Dart block. There needs to be a sizeable notch on the 4th bearing from the front on the left hand side looking from the front. You might want to check that now in case you need to return it.
gbx78
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by gbx78 »

lukep6470 wrote:Hi,

I hate to be a stick in the mud but I am not sure that sump will clear the 4 bolt mains on the Dart block. There needs to be a sizeable notch on the 4th bearing from the front on the left hand side looking from the front. You might want to check that now in case you need to return it.
Hey mate

Thanks yeah I checked that before i bought it..says it clears all 4bolt mains. Too late to return now anyway got it a few months ago and opened it up already.

Im sure i test fitted it on the block and was ok unless im missing something.

I know someone else running same style pan ut for a 4bolt 351w dartblock with no issues. Ill double check with Moroso.

Worst case ill have a word to Moroso about it considering their spec says it will clear.
Last edited by gbx78 on Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Boofhead
lukep6470
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by lukep6470 »

Hi,

It must be ok as if it isn't it wouldn't even touch the surface of the block it needs to bolt to!!!
gbx78
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by gbx78 »

lukep6470 wrote:Hi,

It must be ok as if it isn't it wouldn't even touch the surface of the block it needs to bolt to!!!
Thats what I thought but you had me questioning as i know sometimes specs can be wrong and perhaps i didnt take into account something as this is my first bottom end build. I will check again tnight. But i shot off an email to moroso anyway for backup.

Boofhead
gbx78
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by gbx78 »

Ok double checked and oil pan fits fine on the block. Heres a pic that shows perhaps how it clears the caps.

Boofhead
lukep6470
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by lukep6470 »

:like:
boofhead
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by boofhead »

Good stuff. I like shiny [that fits].

Since we are in the warning mood, often you need to modify the block or engine mounts as the fatter cylinders cast into the block can stop engine mount from lining up the bolt holes. If you are in this case grind a little away from the mounts.
I will someday think of something clever to say.
lukep6470
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by lukep6470 »

Yes I had to do that as there is webbing on the dart block that lines up with the engine mount holes. Dart don't machine the webbing back far enough for a stock mount to fit (found this out mid engine swap).

Just grind the webbing off a bit more after the motor is assembled so metal can't get in.
ozbilt
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ozbilt »

I think Boof suggests grinding off the mounts itself rather than the block. That would be my call too.
Kerry

To our wives and sweethearts. May they never meet
gbx78
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by gbx78 »

Yep already noted. My engine mounts are pretty thick steel so id be more inclined to grind or notch those to suit than the block

Boofhead
soc123_au
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by soc123_au »

Get an engine plate & you dont have to worry about it. It does create a few other problems though...
gbx78
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by gbx78 »

While everyone is doing updates thought id add mine albeit not too exciting as some but theres pics!

Getting close, at this stage just keeping my buying parts addiction satisfied with the recent vpw and sitewide sales whenever pricing is cheaper or same as list price on summit or jegs:

Recent additions include ARP oil pump drive and valve covers.

Ive changed my mind a few times on valve covers. I think ive been hanging with cage too much, nahh, valve covers are like wheels are to the body or shoes are to a hot set of legs so i had to choose wisely and Im all for colour coordination and themes under the 'bay. To cut a long story short.. i ended up getting the ones i originally wanted to suit the black red silver theme.

They are a quality piece of kit. They come with baffles (unattached) and the grommet. Now i was planning to have the AN fitting welded like my original covers until hybrid suggested a screw-in bung which I didnt know existed!! fantastic thanks mate!! hopefully they dont foul on the stud girdles underneath as they have a bit of chunk.. any issues .. can modify to suit.

not the best pic as you cant see the AN fitting too well:

This corner is where the SC intake will foul. Rather than modify the valve cover i will look at modifying the SC intake bend which is just a 90deg cast piece so if something goes wrong with it.. easy and cheap to replace. If not .. the valve cover will need minor surgery.

side project, looking at a hoist and turning my single garage into a double.. need space to breath and work. will see how and if this eventuates

As husky has changed the seals on his novi, i should get onto mine. Waiting for a rainy day!
Last edited by gbx78 on Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Boofhead