New Heart for Scarlet

Create your project threads here if you prefer to keep them out of the regular forums

Moderator: Moderators

Shaunp
Mustang King
Mustang King

Re: New Heart for Scarlet

Post by Shaunp »

Most of the Trans-am engines just use stud girdle from what Ive seen, but on the TCM engines I've seen, seem to run shaft rockers, the TMC engines likely rev harder as there engine spec is pretty much free, except for capacity where the TA cars are 7000rpm for 351 & 7500 for 302.
gbx78
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by gbx78 »

Ok while everyone is out enjoying australian summers. Im stuck at home unfortunately so thought id play with my bits .. and post some more pics.

Edelbrock Super vic efi intake and 90 deg ..Upper and Lower intakes.

Might be some clearance issues with the strut brace and supercharger dowcharge tube as the elbow sits a little further out. But im sure ill work something out here. This elbow will clear the TB from the valve covers (the low profile wont).. but my next challenge is ill need taller valve cover clearance to clear the stud girdles.. though the challenge here is my SC pip is pretty close now so may not fit taller covers (approx 3.8" tall i think) so may need spacers instead to raise only as much as required rather than being way too tall. Will cross that bridge.. but the black and red ford mustang covers looks the goods. May get a pair with the sales and see.. does anyone have these covers and know how tall including measurments of any bevels? I have dimensions of the more expensive covers that have a bevel and breather off centre just not the cheaper alloy cast ones

Last edited by gbx78 on Sat Dec 30, 2017 1:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
'You can never test fire too many times.' - Hybrid

'You can never have too many gauges' -
Boofhead
hybrid
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by hybrid »

Might be able to modify the corner of the valve cover to make room for charger outlet
boofhead
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by boofhead »

Good choice. it has the flow required due to its big ports which match the head ports.
Often people do a small amount of porting in the plenum area matching the port shape based on firing order especially where intake ports are next to each in the firing order. They also dimple the base of the plenum. Lastly, you may need to deck the port surfaces to fit it perfectly.
I will someday think of something clever to say.
Dwayne
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by Dwayne »

hybrid wrote:Might be able to modify the corner of the valve cover to make room for charger outlet
Maybe borrow Husky's modified valve cover and give it a try
Husky65
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by Husky65 »

I know I'm going pretty left field here, but if you cut and shut the 90degree part of the volute so it was straight, and ran the intake elbow facing the front of the car, you might clear the distributor. It would look pretty clean too. Then you won't have to worry about about valve cover clearances and strut clearances. Did I mention it will looks heaps cooler.

Like this here. You can see he had to angle mill the TB/intake to clear the dizzy, however, that intake is a victor junior which I think is lower than yours, plus, you could probably run a spacer under the elbow intake with your bonnet hump which he couldn't do due to hood clearance.

Last edited by Husky65 on Sat Dec 30, 2017 2:13 am, edited 2 times in total.
gbx78
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by gbx78 »

hybrid wrote:Might be able to modify the corner of the valve cover to make room for charger outlet
The outlet is fine.. its the 4" inlet.. depends how much and where i could modify the covers or a dimple in the inlet tube. If ibhave to modify then id rather not buy new ones.. will mangle that pretty finish up but whatever works i guess.. my factory covers have that nice radius tgat will clear nicer just need to be raised which is why I thought the spacers.. but geeze spacers cost nearly the same as new covers. Nee covers look the goods though

Boofhead
gbx78
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by gbx78 »

Husky65 wrote:I know I'm going pretty left field here, but if you cut and shut the 90degree part of the volute so it was straight, and ran the intake elbow facing the front of the car, you might clear the distributor. It would look pretty clean too. Then you won't have to worry about about valve cover clearances and strut clearances. Did I mention it will looks heaps cooler.

Like this here. You can see he had to angle mill the TB/intake to clear the dizzy, however, that intake is a victor junior which I think is lower than yours, plus, you could probably run a spacer under the elbow intake with your bonnet hump which he couldn't do due to hood clearance.

Yeah cept thays not the clearance issue I have. . Its the 4" inlet pipe taking up realestate on the corner of the cover.

The discharge tube is fineand worse case can put a spacer as I have height. This then keeps everything as it is with no stuffing around.

Its that damm 4" inlet corner..i think it will be an easy fix

Boofhead
gbx78
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by gbx78 »

Dwayne wrote:
Maybe borrow Husky's modified valve cover and give it a try
Its modified in the wrong spot to where i need unfortunately. . I think as hybrid said corner of the cover mod or dimple in the inlet.

Boofhead
Husky65
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by Husky65 »

ahhhhh the inlet.....welcome to the party :spoton:
hybrid
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by hybrid »

Sorry yeah I meant inlet. Even mine is annoyingly close, but my covers are pretty tall.
hybrid
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by hybrid »

By the way... just get rid of the distributor. New build deserves precise timing via the crank :mrgreen:
Husky65
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by Husky65 »

hybrid wrote:By the way... just get rid of the distributor. New build deserves precise timing via the crank :mrgreen:
Seconded.
gbx78
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by gbx78 »

Husky65 wrote:
hybrid wrote:By the way... just get rid of the distributor. New build deserves precise timing via the crank :mrgreen:
Seconded.
yep as mentioned in the other thread will look into this more and set it up even if its just physically while the engine is out etc. will have to mill off the thickness of the trigger wheel to make sure my pulleys align but i will chat to you guys about that later to avoid any pitfalls. I dont want it to hold up my engine going back in. does that mean ill have to join the fancy coil packs club like you 2?

Boofhead
gbx78
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by gbx78 »

next update.

ok slight upgrade to surge tank and pump setup.

The Bosch 044 is rated (depending on application) to handle flow for around 600hp. I may just be on the edge of this or more and after some discussion with Bosch decided to go dual fuel pump setup which can be tackled in 2 ways.. in series or parallel. Ive gone with parallel, in the event of a single pump failure there wont be any flow issues or causing extra load of the other pump with a big dead weight in line as research dictates.

So I bought my second genuine Bosch 044 at the sales, all my fittings ready and new design surge tank. This one fits perfect in the location of my existing surge tank (will be up for sale after) and double capacity and have all my fittings ready. It may need some slight bracketry work (a flat plate behind) and rivnuts (cant live with out those things, thanks kerry for introducing me to them!) in additional spots to fix it in place but real estate wise perfect fit. I like this one as its very configurable with plenty of options but also how the rear is designed. Under acceleration fuel will push to the back and always be available. But really saying that my surge tank will always be full to the brim so regardless this wouldn't be an issue but good design none the less. When i designed up my fuel system during my car build i already had an idea of where i wanted this to potentially go and was no extra cost to spec up and accommodate any future upgrades, so this will be an easy out with the old surge tank and in with the new and connect up.

shout out to #Aeromotive and #Bosch (yes i know no #tags :) ) who make the best fuel bits, love their stuff and have never failed me!. I may replace my inline 100micron Aeromotive filter for the canister style Aeromotive fuel filter (in pic) for before the pump depending on a few things which i will decide at the time.

Oil pan, again at the sales (sometimes it was already 10% on sale from the seller plus ebays sitewide 10%, cant not buy something!!... i may have a problem hehe).

I landed on the Moroso for several reasons.. the main one being suits my engine build, extra capacity, but mainly the design is perfect to clear the rack even with my engine lowered. Alot of the oil pans (like my calcustom one) have that factory style angle between the front sump to the rear. Mines pretty close on my car to the rack so would rather get a pan that has more straight up clearance. This one also has several bungs for various options. The dipstick hole will be used for my SC return (perfect spot) as i will be using my timing cover for oil dipstick... (really wanted the Ford racing Black oil pan but was much more expensive and couldn't justify the extra $200 for really the same thing and design)

speaking of timing cover.

My existing timing cover will stay with my existing engine but this gave me the opportunity to buy the correct reverse flow timing cover. Typical topic of discussion.. most aftermarket water pumps (regardless of flow) come with a standard backing plate with 2 round holes so they will work on most timing covers regardless of design. From my research, Ford used a mixed bag of standard flow and reverse flow timing cover designs themselves on assembly, as long as the water pump backing plate suits.

There is provision to drill a hole for the dipstick for front sump dipstick (these were used on later model rear sump blocks an EFI so no mech fuel pump). There was one that had the crank sensor mounting spot but thats just 2 holes to mount and may not suit everything else thats going on so this will work well and i can get a bracket for the crank sensor (have to add that to the spreadsheet).

So this will fit nicely with my edelbrock HV pump and new felpro gasket kit for the front end.

next update .. .may be stroker kit

Boofhead