Hermits Restomod

Create your project threads here if you prefer to keep them out of the regular forums

Moderator: Moderators

jbb
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Hermits Restomod

Post by jbb »

This may be slow, but ill get there.

Follow my 66 fastback from this:

to this:

jbb
Last edited by jbb on Sun Jul 09, 2017 6:03 am, edited 3 times in total.
Nuts
Mustang King
Mustang King

Re: Hermits Restomod

Post by Nuts »

Look Sick John.. :like:
My Motto - Don't get Caught! If you do, Blame Someone Else!

MUSTANG - Fantastic Not Plastic
nassi
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by nassi »

This will be fun, great looking car.
ozbilt
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ozbilt »

Look up the instruction here on how to setup and load pics from Photobucket.

Hopefully someone here can link it for you.

Yes folks it is a good build that has come up a treat :thumbs:
Kerry

To our wives and sweethearts. May they never meet
boofhead
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by boofhead »

Excellent.

1) Love the house - especially the garage/shed. Envious I am.
2) Car looks great
- What colour is that - first photo looks like mine aka a gold bar the second a copper colour. Nice work.

Rather than ask to many questions I will let the story unfold.
Last edited by boofhead on Fri May 26, 2017 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I will someday think of something clever to say.
hybrid
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by hybrid »

Looks great!
Colour looks like that gold commodore colour from the 90's I think it was?
Was very popular on modified cars.
ozbilt
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ozbilt »

Boof, that garage is just that, a garage. The real spot is the man shed at the rear. Well equipped and spacious. A fun place to visit.
Kerry

To our wives and sweethearts. May they never meet
Dwayne
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by Dwayne »

I like it, I like it a lot.
ACTstanglover
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by ACTstanglover »

The man shed is one to be jealous of, he has an awesome set up and other toys (projects) as well. So jealous. Doing a nice job with his son on a p plater 6 cyl mustang
Husky65
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by Husky65 »

Looks awesome. Where did you get the hood from?
gbx78
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by gbx78 »

Ohh that looks awesome.. go the restomods. Are they simmons :) I reckon martys rims make that colour pop.. love how your brakes look against the colour. Looks similar to boofs car.
'You can never test fire too many times.' - Hybrid

'You can never have too many gauges' -
Boofhead
jbb
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by jbb »

so where to begin ...
i lost some pics along the way and ill likely end up showing more pics and writing less, but will try and answer questions along the way. They just won't always be good answers.

i always wanted a fastback since the mid 80's as an apprentice, and i finally was able to start the hunt.
My other cars are a 67 coupe with 5.0 crate motor and paxton blower, manualised C4 , 9" truetrac that runs a best of 11.52, but needs tweeking for better times and a 28 model A roadster hotrod project(on hold whilst building Fb) and a 31 Model A pickup that hasn't begun.

I prefer to have modded cars, so began looking for a less complete car knowing that a lot of stuff would be discarded. I think it was late 2011 when i found something suitable without much rust.
Decisions were made on what I would do thats a bit different . First thoughts were around a twin paxton blown windsor. Next thought was old school 6/71 blown windsor, but chickened out having it sticking out of the bonnet so much and considers issues about that with rego. However after looking at some of the cars at the time in the US, i decided on a 2003 DOHC supercharged motor like in a 03/04 mustang cobra.
I decided to keep car LH drive early on.
I Found a new Crate motor on sale from Eagle and got that sent up from victoria.

Other choices during the planning were: TCP g-link 4 link rear setup, chassis subframe connectors and cross brace, torque boxes,TCI mustang II front end and tower removal , 4 wheel wilwood disc setup with remote boosters, wilwood pedal setup and individual master cylinders, Ididit column and rack and pinion steering,custom 9" diff with strange centre & detroit locker and 35 spline axles. Other things done are Tremec TKO 500,Ron Francis wiring kit for the engine, 18 x 7 simmons, 3" tailshaft, subaru alloy radiator and twin fans, autometer gauges and twin 2.5" exhaust. front seats from a subaru BRZ and custom leather interior.
I think that covers most of it.

Years into the project at the paint stage a colour was finally settled on- wont tell you what it is yet other than its off an Aston Martin.

so after stripping the car down, i began with the installation of the complete TCI front end kit which included sway bar and rack and pinion steering and brakes.
It was a well put together kit and quite easy to install with good instructions.
They use existing holes in the chassis to assist in locating all the positions prior to welding.
There are also strengthening plates for the chassis as part of the whole assembly.

Lots of measuring and checking during the mock up before tack welding and checking again.

Remember the old saying "measure twice weld once"

Finally performed all the welding and cleaned up and put some undercoat to keep it good during the long build.

The only bad thing i found with the kit was the panels they supply to bolt in where the tower were.... they just plain didn't fit, so i eventually made my own ones.

Next instalment - putting the front end together, followed by the rear suspension.

Jbb
boofhead
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by boofhead »

Excellent - big project and lots of other projects. I look forward to further posts.
I like the MII fronts so I looked into them in detail so very interested.
Pinto-Pete
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Pinto-Pete »

hybrid wrote:Looks great!
Colour looks like that gold commodore colour from the 90's I think it was?
Was very popular on modified cars.
Tiger mica I think is what you are referring to...
I'm Batman...

Crane Operator
Mammoet Australia
Rye Park Wind Farm
boofhead
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by boofhead »

The one item that concerns me (engineering back ground) is the forces being applied to the tubing used as mount points - there is quite a lever due to the distance to the cross member. I would like that beefed up a little. I am maybe (likely) wrong but I am not convinced it is strong enough. I would add support to them to reduce flexing - maybe unnecessary.
Last edited by boofhead on Thu Jun 01, 2017 7:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.