Megasquirt - a story of injection

Need help on paint, paint prep, welding, engines etc?

Moderator: Moderators

hybrid
Mustang King
Mustang King

Re: Megasquirt - a story of injection

Post by hybrid »

Normally you would wire them up the same as wasted spark, so you'd follow the firing order.
Even adjusting per bank, you still don't know what's causing the difference.
If one injector is faulty and injecting too much fuel, you'll end up leaning off all the others.

I'm not sure if MS2 can do separate fuel tables for each output, or whether you just trim fuel out of an output. I've never looked into how that works because IMO the benefit is minimal.
Husky65
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by Husky65 »

I've actually been looking at the haltech elite ecus(please don't stone me). They can do long term learning on both banks separately using dual widebands, which is why I was just wondering if you wiring up the injectors together one one bank would allow easier fuel trimming.
Last edited by Husky65 on Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:45 am, edited 2 times in total.
Husky65
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by Husky65 »

Dwayne wrote:My edelbrock pro-flo uses 4 injector channels to fire with the 351 firing order: 8/4 2/7 1/3 5/6
Dual or single o2's?
hybrid
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by hybrid »

You must be feeling rich.
The same principles apply with any ECU.
If you're looking at an O2 per bank, a bad cylinder will drag all the other cylinders in the wrong direction.
Dwayne
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by Dwayne »

Single narrow band o2 sensor, but internet's says it's easy for me to fit wide band guage instead.

The wiring diagrams for old and new firing orders are both around pg 32 of the downloadable instructions. Part #3521 is old firing order, and #3541 is the new firing order so injector wiring slightly different between them but the rest is the same.
boofhead
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by boofhead »

duel o2 allows ego1 and ego2 but wiring for each bank
I will someday think of something clever to say.
Husky65
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by Husky65 »

hybrid wrote:You must be feeling rich.
The same principles apply with any ECU.
If you're looking at an O2 per bank, a bad cylinder will drag all the other cylinders in the wrong direction.
Yup, understand that, but the same applies to a single wideband also i guess. I mean, you'll never know of a rich/lean cylinder unless you get a wideband on each runner. So in terms of just a tuning tool, i guess I'm asking if there is any benefit by going to dual widebands and independant bank adjustment?
Husky65
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by Husky65 »

boofhead wrote:duel o2 allows ego1 and ego2 but wiring for each bank
The haltech is a nice system where you wire in the controller, then both widebands feed to the controller, and the signal is then sent from the controller to the ecu via one CAN cable. Good for problem solving with the o2's also as the CAN will let you know what's going on.
Last edited by Husky65 on Sat Sep 16, 2017 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
boofhead
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by boofhead »

I see no advantage but MS can do it that way if required IO extender
hybrid
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by hybrid »

Yeah the IO extender I put in mine has a dedicated O2 input where you can chain up to 16 O2 sensors together.
Husky65
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by Husky65 »

Why do modern v8's run dual o2's then? Do they just average the reading between the two and use this to adjust off? Or do they adjust seperate banks?
boofhead
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by boofhead »

some do either - all depends. MS can do it all.
Shaunp
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Shaunp »

Husky65 wrote:Why do modern v8's run dual o2's then? Do they just average the reading between the two and use this to adjust off? Or do they adjust seperate banks?
I thinks its because they are running them on the edge in an effort to make power and meet emissions and the are altering the fueling in a more dynamic manner then we need to, they all run knock sensors as well etc. In our engines the only benefit I see is know which bank is not running correctly.
Husky65
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by Husky65 »

Yeah, so more useful as a diagnostic tool I guess instead of an afr adjustment tool. I would like to add a knock sensor also.
Shaunp
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Shaunp »

Husky65 wrote:Yeah, so more useful as a diagnostic tool I guess instead of an afr adjustment tool. I would like to add a knock sensor also.
I think with a blower it may be a good idea, perhaps, as long as they dont false trigger, I dont have one in mine. I think its part of the expansion board which also gives sequential injection.