My favorite car of all time

Non-Mustang related Projects

Moderator: Moderators

Shaunp
Mustang King
Mustang King

My favorite car of all time

Post by Shaunp »

So after many years in storage my prize winning Jaguar 3.8 S type 4 speed Laycock overdrive compact, is out in the light. I have had this car since I was 18, did a rotisserie resto on it in the late 80's early 90's. It was featured in local and international Magazines back in the day. Storage hasn't been kind to the paint but the rest fine, some fresh fuel and she was away, clutch was stuck to the flywheel took 15mins of driving in 2nd with the clutch in till it broke free. I had forgotten what a great car this was, the engine is as sweet as it was in 1990, nice hot 3.8 with an E type head and Triple 2"carbs, clutch is from a Ferrari, wish I still had the webers. It cost me $800 for the cams back in 89 Ivan Tighe, rest his soul had to weld every lobe before they could grind them, $900 for the Hepolite power-max race pistons, a lot of money back then. Just as snappy as I remember. A bloke called Mike Hunter helped me with the engine, he used to do the appendix J Jag race engines. Mum and Dad have moved house and this is just one of the things I had left at their place. Gav and the old man helped to get it out of the shed. Both said "what the fuck are you doing mucking around with Mustangs this is a proper car, just listen to sound it makes". The colour is Golden Sand opalescent, it quite a rare colour though was used in one of the original Jag promo pictures back in the day. I've got some extra stuff to put on it this time around, not the least some E type 3 spot front calipers, it stopped ok before, though like all cars of this period you had to be measured to pull it up, pariculary once it was over 100 mph even though it had 4 wheel disc's in 1965. It will do over 130 in OD. Its E type fast, but much nicer to drive. Still has the original Dunlop center lock wheels again not a common option on a Sedan. Still has the Smiths Radio-mobile short/meduim wave push button radio from new.

Back in the day

Last edited by Shaunp on Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:45 am, edited 8 times in total.
ants
Senior Mustang
Senior Mustang

Re: My favorite car of all time

Post by ants »

Nice old car but the Mustang will turn more heads once you get it on the road..
Shaunp
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Shaunp »

ants wrote:Nice old car but the Mustang will turn more heads once you get it on the road..
No you'd be surprised, Mustangs are a dime a dozen now here, In fact when we pushed it out on the road, this guys came across the road, he was from LA visiting his daughter. couldn't get rid of him.
Pinto-Pete
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Pinto-Pete »

Nice cars, a mates got the Daimler version..
I'm Batman...

Crane Operator
Mammoet Australia
Rye Park Wind Farm
Shaunp
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Shaunp »

Pinto-Pete wrote:Nice cars, a mates got the Daimler version..
The Daimler V8's dont go like a Jag twin cam, these engines won Lemans many times in the 50's in C & D types. A mate use to have a nice Ice blue Daimler pretty car.
Last edited by Shaunp on Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
nassi
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by nassi »

Very nice, now clean it up and take some more pictures please.
Shaunp
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Shaunp »

nassi wrote:Very nice, now clean it up and take some more pictures please.
Needs paint mate, its played up in few spots. Its very early Dulux Cobra clear over base, 2k when it first came out, needs a good few spot repairs and a full re-shoot, still have some base , I'll get some matched.
Pinto-Pete
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Pinto-Pete »

Shaunp wrote:
Pinto-Pete wrote:Nice cars, a mates got the Daimler version..
The Daimler V8's dont go like a Jag twin cam, these engines won Lemans many times in the 50's in C & D types. A mate use to have a nice Ice blue Daimler pretty car.
Yeh they did, 5 times in the decade, dont think he cares he's restoring it as it belonged to his dad..
I'm Batman...

Crane Operator
Mammoet Australia
Rye Park Wind Farm