70 Mach 1 - Slowly

Create your project threads here if you prefer to keep them out of the regular forums

Moderator: Moderators

Chux
Junior Mustang
Junior Mustang

Re: 70 Mach 1 - Slowly

Post by Chux »

ozbilt wrote:Vermillion Fire is the equivalent used on the XY Falcons. Each manufacturer used the same colours around the world, just different names and local suppliers. That is why similar colours but slightly different tinting.
Thanks Kerry. I assumed it was close but never seen Calypso Coral (Mercury Competition Orange) and a Vermillion Fire anywhere near each other.

There are only so many ways to skin a cat as they say, so no real surprise.
Cheers

Craig
Chux
Junior Mustang
Junior Mustang

Post by Chux »

Well finally as my work with COVID is finally looking like it is coming to the end I have actually had time to start doing some work on my project Mach1. Being on call and working almost every day for 2 years doesnt exactly motivate you to sweating in the shed.

I have stripped the inner guards both sides and removed front suspension (found the PS tower is that badly cracked replacement is the only option) and I am stripping firewall inside and out before I weld in the new cowl just because its a lot easier. Image

Also did the modifications for a factory Bendix power booster and the Modern Driveline hydraulic clutch master cylinder which is so much easier to get right without the cowl in the way.

Unfortunately have to wait until end of the month for a replacement tower but that means I can weld the new cowl in before I tackle the tower which my internet research tells me is easiest if you position with the export brace in place as well.
Cheers

Craig
ozbilt
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ozbilt »

Chux wrote:Image

My 70 Mach 1 came with a 69 rear quarter extension on the LH side. Stupidly (because I know that non OEM stuff doesn’t fit well) I bought a new 70 extension.
Surprise - it doesn’t match the quarter panel line well at all.

So what do you think would work best to fill and reshape - fibreglass filler, aluminium filler or get some of the muggy weld type product to build it up then filler over that.

The pic shows just how far out it is - which is between 5&10mm
A late reply from me, but a good quality plastic filler will work here. Both the quarter panel and the extension are stable (bolted together with a rubber cushion) so there are never any real issues. I sometimes "gently" massage the die cast extension over a sand bag, but hitting it too hard will crack them. 3M make a great plastic filler.
Kerry

To our wives and sweethearts. May they never meet