70 Mach 1 - Slowly

Create your project threads here if you prefer to keep them out of the regular forums

Moderator: Moderators

Chux
Junior Mustang
Junior Mustang

Re: 70 Mach 1 - Slowly

Post by Chux »

Gosh its quiet on here. Damn hot in the shed too - so its been limited work.

lower quarter patch is in and not too bad - it will need a skim of filler. Wheel arch replacement is in - same got a reasonable low patch at the rear that should knock out with a bit more work.

Happy for critical appraisal - this is my first attempt at exterior metal repair - if its shit just say so - there is a fair amount of work to got to get to rebuild the lower front of the rear quarter - after this side is done I’m not sure whether I wont bite the bullet and replace the whole rear quarter on the driver side. If this side is shit - well its a bit of time with a grinder and away you go as they say. This is a learning project for me - but I want the end result to be as near perfect as possible.

Top of the wheel arch is a flange whilst sides are butt weld.
Anyone contemplating using the wheel arch replacement sections - they are not great - there is no fold to match the body line in front of the wheel arch nor does it follow the curve below that body line. Quite a bit of work to get it to follow the body line but of all the areas on this patch - its the bit I am happiest with for fit and line!

This is where it came from....some bonds artistry....Mofo’s

Cheers

Craig
ozbilt
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ozbilt »

Looks like you are using a gasless MIG. If so, see if you can change to argon shielding MIG. If not, no big deal.

Other than that, it is a good job.
Kerry

To our wives and sweethearts. May they never meet
Chux
Junior Mustang
Junior Mustang

Post by Chux »

ozbilt wrote:Looks like you are using a gasless MIG. If so, see if you can change to argon shielding MIG. If not, no big deal.

Other than that, it is a good job.
Thanks Kerry - I am happy to be told its shit so its great to hear that its not too bad
Cheers

Craig
Nuts
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Nuts »

It's shit Craig!😆
My Motto - Don't get Caught! If you do, Blame Someone Else!

MUSTANG - Fantastic Not Plastic
nassi
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by nassi »

Nuts wrote:It's shit Craig!😆
You are a prick Nuts.
Chux
Junior Mustang
Junior Mustang

Post by Chux »

Finally someone honest.

Shame its actually Nassi 😂
Cheers

Craig
ozbilt
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ozbilt »

Chux wrote:
Finally someone honest.

Shame its actually Nassi 😂
:like:
Kerry

Chux
Junior Mustang
Junior Mustang

Post by Chux »

What do you when you are hung over and its stinking hot.....put a few things together in the lounge room watching BBL in the AC.
A nice new Mach 1 pop open fuel cap and the triple bulb conversion for the tail lights.

That was more than enough for the day!

Cheers

Craig
ozbilt
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ozbilt »

Tell us more about the taillight conversion.
Kerry

Chux
Junior Mustang
Junior Mustang

Post by Chux »

ozbilt wrote:Tell us more about the taillight conversion.
It’s a Scott Drake thing....box is in the bin but essentially it is some light gauge stainless bracket that is held in by the two middle lens screws (under the main seal) which sort of rough divides up behind the three sections of the bezel. There is a single filament bulb for each section rather than a single dual filament bulb for the whole housing.

I’m thinking of grabbing some LED bulbs so will take some pics when I pull it apart again and connect up to power.
Only negative I have heard is that the standard wiring is not really putting enough through for 3 bulbs. The LED’s I imagine will over come this to some extent.
Cheers

Craig
ozbilt
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ozbilt »

Chux wrote:
ozbilt wrote:Tell us more about the taillight conversion.
It’s a Scott Drake thing....box is in the bin but essentially it is some light gauge stainless bracket that is held in by the two middle lens screws (under the main seal) which sort of rough divides up behind the three sections of the bezel. There is a single filament bulb for each section rather than a single dual filament bulb for the whole housing.

I’m thinking of grabbing some LED bulbs so will take some pics when I pull it apart again and connect up to power.
Only negative I have heard is that the standard wiring is not really putting enough through for 3 bulbs. The LED’s I imagine will over come this to some extent.
Ta. I am looking at sequential lights for the information of all here.
Kerry

Chux
Junior Mustang
Junior Mustang

Post by Chux »

My 70 Mach 1 came with a 69 rear quarter extension on the LH side. Stupidly (because I know that non OEM stuff doesn’t fit well) I bought a new 70 extension.
Surprise - it doesn’t match the quarter panel line well at all.

So what do you think would work best to fill and reshape - fibreglass filler, aluminium filler or get some of the muggy weld type product to build it up then filler over that.

The pic shows just how far out it is - which is between 5&10mm
Cheers

Craig
Chux
Junior Mustang
Junior Mustang

Post by Chux »

Fortunately my work is not affected by COVID19 and in fact working longer hours so dont have much time to work on the car uninterrupted.
Plus a bit sick of the dirty work and feeling the need to assemble some more shiny stuff then wrap them up and put them away.

I know the 69-70 rear floor section has carpet wrap over rather than the chrome trim, however I dont have a supply of those heavy steel staples to hold it down so just used the 65-68 trim part that came in the replacement chrome trim set.

Cheers

Craig
Chux
Junior Mustang
Junior Mustang

Post by Chux »

Progressing along on the rear quarters. Damn welder has been giving me curry. First a line feed problem, now no gas. One minute in was working the next zip. Plenty of gas. Changed regulators with the TIG, blew out the lead....spewing.

I lost my mind trying to make the section in front of the rear wheel arch. It was near impossible for my skill set. So rather than fit any longer I bought to rear quarter skins. A lot easier to set up.

So both outer wheel housing and both rear quarters are done. Only done a prelim wipe of filler but coming along.

Just have to finish welding off the rosette welds on the tank drop offs and then it will be the cowl replacement as mine has a decent rust section over the pedals and its too damn hard to shape anything to fit on a 69-70.

Also got a bit of Calypso Coral mixed into an aerosol to see whether I really like the colour since I have never seen one up close and personal....I like it.

Cheers

Craig
ozbilt
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ozbilt »

Vermillion Fire is the equivalent used on the XY Falcons. Each manufacturer used the same colours around the world, just different names and local suppliers. That is why similar colours but slightly different tinting.
Kerry