70 Mach 1 - Slowly

Create your project threads here if you prefer to keep them out of the regular forums

Moderator: Moderators

Chux
Junior Mustang
Junior Mustang

70 Mach 1 - Slowly

Post by Chux »

In January 17 I bought this locally. It had been imported but never complied or registered.

Not cheap, not dear, and head room to do the work it needs. It was what I wanted though. M code (351 4V), Mach 1. Engine appears to be original and with the yellow OK just showing on the PS rocker cover I am hoping that it is actually the original mileage.

I wanted a project car and it was a project. Sort of a match really.

So the plan (so far anyway) is to sort out some basic stuff and then get it on the road for a while before the fairly average bodywork shames me into a fuil strip and repaint.

The bad - rusted lower core support cross member, some rust under the battery carrier and the top of the frame rail extension, floors, outer wheel houses, PS rear frame rail extension and PS lower quarter panel. Hood is probably a throw away as well due to the sound deadener sitting against the frame and rusting the thin parts....also seems to have rusted the very front edge of the hood behind the chrome trim

The good - guards, doors, sills, trunk, trunk floor and tail light panel are showing up as rust free and original.

Some evidence of a low speed bump in the nose with the hood latch support, center grill support and the upper stone tray a little damaged.

So far I am collecting bits...and waiting to get some clear time to attack things.

I didnt get too carried away but from 20 feet it looks ok

I have given it a 1500 cut and mechanical cut and its probably ok from 6 feet but they didnt even attempt to bog any dents....its got 49 years of dents under that red paint.

This was what I wanted.....had to be a Cleveland 4V.

And If you try hard enough it can be 1 of 1 (Dual paint strip ie a bloody pin strip on the side- really!)

Coming home....it was definitely not a drive home car.

And this is why....drained 7 litres of Brisbane river out of the tank

Ohh yeah, the crap hose...the lower was worse. This is a windsor radiator and lower rad outlet is wrong side for the cleveland

Last edited by Chux on Sun Jul 09, 2017 5:23 am, edited 3 times in total.
Cheers

Craig
Chux
Junior Mustang
Junior Mustang

Re: 70 Mach 1 - Slowly

Post by Chux »

The buck

Evidence of one of the USA's finer craftsman's work - yes mask up to the trim and spray. However you can see that the guard is solid under there. All of the factory detail is showing up - it gives me hope.

This is for Kerry and the concours crowd....no idea but its a factory remnant
Seems solid

inside guards need a good sand and then rust encapsulation (POR15). Still I keep telling myself its 49 years old and from Virginia.

More evidence of a quality tradesman at work

Last edited by Chux on Sun Jul 09, 2017 5:18 am, edited 2 times in total.
Cheers

Craig
boofhead
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by boofhead »

Very cool. Nice project you have there. Lots of fun building the car.
I look forward to seeing the project advance.

Welcome to the forum.
I will someday think of something clever to say.
Chux
Junior Mustang
Junior Mustang

Post by Chux »

Thanks Boofhead. I have been reading and lurking a while. Love the work Ozbilt and SeanP have been doing and seeing some names mentioned that I have heard from other mates who play with other brands.

Good news is my bits of metal have arrived in the country so I can fire up the MIG hopefully at Easter and do some metal replacing.
Cheers

Craig
nassi
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by nassi »

All good mate, you have a dream. Only money time and effort to complete it, all of which are available at some point. I look forward to the end result.
Chux
Junior Mustang
Junior Mustang

Post by Chux »

Nothing like a few days off in a row so you can get into things.
Without stripping the car down I knew that it had some dodgy repairs which it seems stem from both battery acid and salt on the roads. Plan was to replace the cross member for the radiator support panel and patch the inside chassis rail.....the later ended up being a bit more involved.

Radiator support panel - evidence of some of mexico's finest tradespeople at work. )I knew this had a dodgy patch on it but was suprised at how little was left for the front of the PS strut bar bracket. I bought a lower cross member for the core support so the Easter plan was to replace it.

PITA but removed. I want to keep as much original metal as possible so I will patch the core support which is otherwise in pretty good condition.

PS chassis rail was worse than first thought. Plans of patching the rail dissipated when it basically fell off after a few cuts with the saw.

Tomorrow will be some quality time with the welder and grinder.

I'm going to try a patch on the inner guard where the acid has eaten it. If it comes up ok - great, if not nothing lost but some time.
Last edited by Chux on Sun Jul 09, 2017 6:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers

Craig
ozbilt
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ozbilt »

Good attitude Craig & a nice project ..... :like:

That rail section is not terribly hard to fabricate, even with basic tools.
Kerry

To our wives and sweethearts. May they never meet
Husky65
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by Husky65 »

Good work mate, sounds like you know exactly what you want which is half the battle won(until you change your mind midway through :dance2: )
Last edited by Husky65 on Sun Apr 16, 2017 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ozbilt
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ozbilt »

Husky65 wrote:Good work mate, sounds like you know exactly what you want which is half the battle won(until you change your mind midway through :dance2: )
His name is Craig, not cage ........ :snigger:
Kerry

To our wives and sweethearts. May they never meet
Chux
Junior Mustang
Junior Mustang

Post by Chux »

Thanks Kerry. Fortunately I bought both inner and outer frame rail extensions from CJ's at the same time as the cross member. Doing an offset so the welded sections of the inner and outer sections - had to anyway to get clear metal.

Husky - I wish I had a clear mind over where it will finish up. I have a 408c forged stroker set in the garage - the 20 year old in me says yes, the 52 year old in me says its a waste as there is no way I need 500hp in this thing. Same with colour - red looks good but it was a white car and I am leaning towards a return as regardless its going to need a bare metal job eventually.
Only thing I am clear on is that it wont be concourse (I dont have the skill) but at least will be sympathetic.
Cheers

Craig
Nuts
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Nuts »

You're on the right path Craig, let the 20 year old out now and again, 500 HP can be one hell of a thrill!!
My Motto - Don't get Caught! If you do, Blame Someone Else!

MUSTANG - Fantastic Not Plastic
nassi
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by nassi »

Yeah, stick with the twenty year old. Just remember, we always knew best back then.
xpconnor
Mustang Maniac
Mustang Maniac

Post by xpconnor »

Put the stroker in, you will never be disappointed with too much power.

Good thread by the way nice to see a couple of new builds have started up.
"The Mustang is full of Awesome"
jbb
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by jbb »

Chux wrote:
I have a 408c forged stroker set in the garage - the 20 year old in me says yes, the 52 year old in me says its a waste as there is no way I need 500hp in this thing.

Craig,
i think there must be something wrong with the forum postings....
It looks like you said 5oohp isn't needed !!!

There must have been some sort of spell check issue on your computer when you posted.
I think it meant to say " the 52 year old in me says its NOT a waste as theres no way I DONT need 500hp in this thing.
:snigger:
Nuts
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Nuts »

jbb wrote:
Chux wrote:
I have a 408c forged stroker set in the garage - the 20 year old in me says yes, the 52 year old in me says its a waste as there is no way I need 500hp in this thing.

Craig,
i think there must be something wrong with the forum postings....
It looks like you said 5oohp isn't needed !!!

There must have been some sort of spell check issue on your computer when you posted.
I think it meant to say " the 52 year old in me says its NOT a waste as theres no way I DONT need 500hp in this thing.
:snigger:
:like:
My Motto - Don't get Caught! If you do, Blame Someone Else!

MUSTANG - Fantastic Not Plastic