Edz 66 Convertible

Create your project threads here if you prefer to keep them out of the regular forums

Moderator: Moderators

Edz66Vert
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Re: Edz 66 Convertible

Post by Edz66Vert »

So I haven't posted for a while but I thought I'd give an update.

I bought a Holley/MSD Atomic secondhand off a mate for a good price and I finally got around to fitting it.

It came with an external pump and lines however after putting up with the noise of an external pump, I wanted a quiet one!

I fitted new '69 20 gallon (US - 75.7L) EFI Tank to replace 16 Gallon (US - 60.5 L). A US Gallon is 3.785L (not 4 as many say)

The '69 Mustang 20 gallon tank is a direct replacement for the standard 16 Gallon tank. This tank will increase my range by 25% which is nice as the new motor is thirsty compared to the old, tired motor I bought it with. That 25% increase is on the top of the tank, not underneath so you lose a little more boot space (or your spare sits up higher).

Nuts told me I can fit a 22 Gallon aftermarket tank (83.3L) tank to a '65-68 Mustang but you either have to bend the neck (with a steel pipe inside) where the rubber filler hose connects, or buy a new neck to fit ($140 posted). It's also taller again in the boot.

This is my new tank in place.

Imageg]

The pump is a 'Fuel Gauge Sender and Holley Performance 12-305 EFI Fuel Pump Module (For 64-70 Mustang)'

The advantage of this pump is that it needs no return line as it is internally regulated and just drops the excess straight back into the tank. Since it's in the tank it also runs a lot cooler and is very quiet. I bought the tank and pump kit from Custom Mustangs in Melbourne for $1100 delivered. the MSD Atomic can run without a return line but I like the idea of an in-tank pump, it's what all the oems do.

MSD TPS SWITCH/MODULE MSD2939 MSD ATOMIC TBI AU$350

I had to buy an MSD Atomic TBI throttle position sensor modules are designed for use with the MSD Atomic throttle body fuel injection system. They connect inline to the Atomic TBI communication network and provide a common 0-5 V throttle position output signal required for the operation of an electronic overdrive transmission or other accessory to tell it what the throttle movement is. This replaced my $30 Holley TPS switch that bolted onto the side of the Holley carby, so it cost me $350 to fix a simple $30 problem!

This took a lot of chasing on the internet. Everybody (including Holley) listed it out of stock. Holley said they would have more in 5 months! I founf one on eBay from Engine Parts Australia who are a good company I deal with a lot. I ordered it and 2 days later they emailed me and apologised that they had no stock and refunded my money. Summit had none and it was on back order (who knows when) but I found one at Jegs and quickly ordered it for $350 landed, 8 day delivery - last one! One other company did list them but wanted $500!

Fitting the O2 sensor for the EFI

1. Pipe drilled with step drill to 24mm. I love these drills, so safe and quick to drill different sizes.

2. Tig welded, haven't done any for about 2 years and I have never done a lot, but I was happy with the result. This is before cleaning on the wire wheel, I forgot to take that shot, but it looked nice.

3 & 4.Painted and drying on the slow combustion fire. It was only 7 degrees outside, toasty 16 degrees inside.

Finally, I did a 60mm cut and shut on the fuel filler neck as it stuck out 60mm. A new 'shorter' 20 gallon neck is $125 plus $15 del, so I decided to make my own. A little worried about rust inside so I'll give it a clean and paint it with some POR I have, which is fuel safe.

I'll post pics when I'm done with the filler pipe and have the Atomic installed. I'm putting it in the engine bay at this stage as I don't feel like cramming more things under the dash and it's water-resistant.
Last edited by Edz66Vert on Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:09 am, edited 5 times in total.
Checkout my car builds - edzv8s.com
66 Convertible Bench Seat AODE 3.5 9"
ozbilt
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ozbilt »

22 gal tank is a 1970 tank. 1964 1/4 - 68 are 16 gals, 69 is 20 gals (FYI)

Good to see tanks already modded for intank pumps. Saves me doing it ..... :like:
Last edited by ozbilt on Thu Jun 09, 2022 6:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kerry

To our wives and sweethearts. May they never meet
Edz66Vert
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by Edz66Vert »

Yes, the kit is great, EFI pump, sender, filter and 3 arms for the different size tanks, just drops in. You can buy it separately to the tank.
Nuts
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Nuts »

Well??? Do you have it running yet?🤔
My Motto - Don't get Caught! If you do, Blame Someone Else!

MUSTANG - Fantastic Not Plastic
ozbilt
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ozbilt »

Nuts, I see you have a Pommy Mustang now. Fuel prices making you do strange things?
Kerry

To our wives and sweethearts. May they never meet
Nuts
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Nuts »

Long story, Oz. Always wanted an original 49. This was advertised as a 9 out of 10. Turns out it was a 3. Seller is a crook and the costs to settle the matter would have doubled my purchase cost. So I'm stuck with it.

Edz66Vert
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by Edz66Vert »

Nuts - close to running! Just a few bits of wiring and placing the msd and ice box on a s/s panel on the inner guard. Distracted with finishing ing off a bike for sale and visiting parents up north to help them find a new location to live.

Should be running by next weekend.
Edz66Vert
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by Edz66Vert »

Still going with wiring because I've decided to relocate all the relays and fuses hidden in a box under the battery to the other side because if I have any issues on the road I would have to remove the battery and battery holder underneath, and then I would have no power which means the hazards would stop working and I would not be able to any diagnosis to see where a power fault was.

Question: currently my twin Mondeo fans are controlled from a temp sender in the top righthand side of the radiator (pic below). The MSD throttle body has two outputs to control the fans triggered by a temp sender at the front of the inlet manifold (pic below). Should I use these instead?

Thoughts?

Edz66Vert
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Fixing Exhaust drone - thanks to Boofhead!

Post by Edz66Vert »

I did this to my V8 Jeep but it's relevant to anyone with a 6 or V8 that drones - thanks to Boofheads technical article in the Tech section on here.

How do you fix the exhaust drone in the cabin when you fit a louder exhaust? J Pipes or 1/4 wave resonators! These are a J shaped pipe fitted to your exhaust that are capped off on the end and reflect the sound wave back without increasing the backpressure of the exhaust. Two straight bits of pipe with a 180 degree bit in the middle so they are not too long. You could go straight if you had the room.

So my v8 jeep is running hotdogs up the front instead of the factory muffler and sports mufflers at the rear and it drones a lot around 1200 - 1500 rpm. This is cruising speed on the highway in 8th gear or cruising around town at 80kph in 7/8th gear. It was quite irritating inside and made it hard to hear the passenger speak. I read an article on a Mustang Tech site where a guy fixed this problem by fitting J pipes at the rear.
It is simply a chamber where sound waves travel down the tube then get reflected back to the entrance at the exhaust pipe so as to cancel the next sound wave just starting its travels down the pipe. The exhaust system is not restricted as the exhaust will flow through the path of least resistance which is the existing exhaust system.

Mine had to be 1m in total length to work which sounds like a lot but they are only 450 long because they are 180 degrees and the curve is counted in the length. Matt at Tuggeranong mufflers built and fitted them for me for $290 on a dual system, even making them removeable in case I went 4wding and damaged them.

I asked about fitting Varex mufflers in place of my hotdogs but they were 6 inches in diameter so they wouldn't fit and he also said the straight through bypass tube is quite small and would choke the Hemi V8.

The result? Chalk and Cheese! The drone inside the cabin has dropped about 50% making it very pleasant. My passengers have already commented how much quieter it is without even knowing what I did. You can still here the v8 roar but at cruise it's really quiet. Outside, my testing shows it dropped about 10% so it still has a good v8 bark.

Here's the formula if you want to do it to your car:

First you need the frequency (Hz) of the drone

EDF Exhaust drone frequency in Hz
RPM Engine Revs Per Minute at the point of exhaust drone
PUL Engine pulses per revolution (V8 = 4)
EDF = RPM * PUL * (1/60)

For example, applying the formula for V8 engine with drone:
EDF = 1300rpm x 4 /60 PHD = 87 Hz
EDF = 1500rpm x 4 /60 PHD = 100 Hz
EDF = 1800rpm x 4 /60 PHD = 120 Hz

For example, applying the formula for 6 cylinder engine with drone:
EDF = 1300rpm x 3 /60 PHD = 65 Hz
EDF = 1800rpm x 3 /60 PHD = 90 Hz

Once the drone frequency has been determined then the length of the resonance tube can be calculated.

Formula for the calculation of the exhaust drone frequency.

LEN Length of the resonance tube in inches
EDF Exhaust drone frequency in Hz
SOS Speed of sound in feet per second (1180 fps)
LEN = (SOS / EDF / 4) * 12

The suggested figure is 1180 FPS if the pipe is toward the back of the vehicle or 1235 FPS if closer to the engine.

So for a V8 with drone at 1300,
Length (in inches) v= (1180 / 87 / 4) x 12 = 40.5in
Length (in mm) v= (1180 / 87 / 4) x 12 x 25.4 = 1029mm

So for a V8 with drone at 1500,
Length (in inches) v= (1180 / 100 / 4) x 12 = 35.4in
Length (in mm) v= (1180 / 87 / 4) x 12 x 25.4 = 900mm

So for a V8 with drone at 1800,
Length (in inches) v= (1180 / 120 / 4) x 12 = 29.5in
Length (in mm) v= (1180 / 87 / 4) x 12 x 25.4 = 750mm

So for a 6 cylinder with drone at 1300,
Length (in inches) v= (1180 / 65 / 3) x 12 = 72in
Length (in mm) v= (1180 / 65 / 3) x 12 x 25.4 = 1844mm

So for a 6 cylinder with drone at 1800,
Length (in inches) v= (1180 / 90 / 3) x 12 = 52in
Length (in mm) v= (1180 / 90 / 3) x 12 x 25.4 = 1332mm

So you can see it would be a long pipe on a six cylinder, but easy to do on a single system.

Nuts
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Nuts »

But it's still a Jeep ED!!😂

Edz66Vert
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by Edz66Vert »

Nuts wrote:But it's still a Jeep ED!!😂
Yeah but.... lets compare exhaust sounds, the Morris is missing 4 cylinders? 😴........

Looking forward to your next V8 build Nuts! 😀
Edz66Vert
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by Edz66Vert »

So I thought it would be a good idea to remove all the relays, connectors and fuses under the battery because if it ever had a problem on the road I would have to remove the battery and tray and then how would I check for a fault?

This was the setup I had that I showed previously, neat enough but no length in the wires so I couldn't even lift it out even after removing the battery and tray?

I also had trouble fitting the big Ice Ignition box under the dash plus the MSD/Holley computer so I thought it would be a good idea to build a box to put it all in, in the front left-hand corner of the engine bay. The Ice Ignition box is not water-resistant and can't get wet, whereas the MSD/Holley computer can.

Anyhow, this is what I built. Was really neat inside, easy to pull out all the fuses/relays and connectors and lay it on the guard to work on, but there was one problem?

When I looked at it, I kept saying to myself, 'everyone who walks up and looks in the engine bay at a car show is going to say, "What's with the big box in the engine bay?"'.

So, I ripped it all out and decided to relocate the battery in the boot and mount all the bits from the box in where the battery sat with a panel to hide it all. So that's where I'm up to now.

I removed the jack lockdown bracket as I don't use it and the battery will sit there. I did make a bit of a mess removing it, couldn't see all the spot welds and the metal was a bit thin from age but I welded a new piece in, and it's all under a mat and the battery box anyway.

Now to fit the battery and rewire, all the wires for the front of the car are just hanging out now waiting to be redone (headlights, horns, horse, DRLs, etc), so still a bit of work ahead of me.
Last edited by Edz66Vert on Tue Sep 13, 2022 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Edz66Vert
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by Edz66Vert »

So this is how the new location looks at the moment, now it has been stripped out.

Edz66Vert
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by Edz66Vert »

Thought it was time for a update. Got busy playing with bikes and putting a new slab in for a second garage but onto getting the car back on the road.

I've relocated the battery to the boot using a double insulated welding cable for power. A mate donated the battery box. I relocated the led display so I could get to it under the rear guard edge. The box is held in place by a simple clamp and phillips screw system.

Edz66Vert
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by Edz66Vert »

This is the new fuse/relay panel without a dummy cover in place to hide it, sitting where the battery used to be.

This is the MSD fuel injection unit and ICE 2-step 7amp ignition box.

Lastly, I fitted new neoprene swaybar bushes. The old rubber ones were cracked after 3000km. Pedders tell me I probably had them cranked up too tight so I've left the neoprene a little looser. $20 on ebay, listed for an rx7 but have the same 10mm - 3/8 hole, fit perfectly and less than half the price of the autoparts and Pedders bushes.