Think I have a problem........not good....

Information on importing your car or parts

Moderator: Moderators

smh00n
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Re: Think I have a problem........not good....

Post by smh00n »

I just did a search and looks like there are 450 members who have made 1 post.

If we all gave a buck each, that's $450. Pfffft. If we all gave 5 bucks each that's $2,250.

Do we all care enough to stick our hands in our pockets and not have a crap coffee next time?

We gotta help a brother out, not his fault he's been dudded. At least it will cover phone calls and a legal man maybe.
nassi
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by nassi »

Yep, I am in.
Pinto-Pete
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Pinto-Pete »

nassi wrote:Yep, I am in.

Yep,...what he said.... :like:
I'm Batman...

Crane Operator
Mammoet Australia
Rye Park Wind Farm
hybrid
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by hybrid »

There would be lucky to be 50 active members in reality.
smh00n
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by smh00n »

hybrid wrote:There would be lucky to be 50 active members in reality.
Ok...... sooooo hows 50 sobs each sound

Least we tried.
hybrid
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by hybrid »

I'm happy to help out, but lets wait to hear from Shanan once he's got a game plan.
If he goes the legal route, maybe we can help out with that somehow.
ozbilt
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ozbilt »

hybrid wrote:I'm happy to help out, but lets wait to hear from Shanan once he's got a game plan.
If he goes the legal route, maybe we can help out with that somehow.
:like:
Kerry

To our wives and sweethearts. May they never meet
nassi
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by nassi »

Standing by.
shan75
Baby Mustang
Baby Mustang

Post by shan75 »

Wow. Just logged in and noticed the comments of support.

I'll be candid - the last 6 days have been pretty dark one's for me and the wife.

As for Hybrids assistance - what can I say? Has provided clarity where there was none, that alone has helped me emotionally - can't thank you enough mate.

I am also truly grateful to the other kind members also - gives me a little hope knowing there are still nice people are around. Things happen in life sometimes that make you question where all the good people have gone. Seems I might have an idea where a few have been hiding.

I feel like right bloody idiot for allowing this to happen to my family. I checked and double checked EVERYTHING about the car and the establishment. Poured over the paperwork, vehicle receipts, independent inspection - negotiated with the dealer over a period of 7 weeks. Came unstuck on the most important item of all - the payment.

In hindsight, it is funny how much you learn to trust a format of communication like email.

I've seen the scams, similar domains, email with a different digit, links to click on, dodgy emails to open, ads for cars from scammers that don't answer questions the right way - I thought I had seen a lot. Honestly never occurred to me a hacker could be controlling the flow of an email conversation between two legitimate parties for weeks. Sending me details and information - even items that could NOT be forged - about the vehicle. Puppet master had full control.

This hacker just watched the whole conversation I had with the dealer for weeks - even stopping emails he did not want either of us seeing.

I am glad you put the sticky up there - I really want people to learn from this mistake of mine. Your side of the email conversation might be secure, but you never know about the other end. Ever. So do not assume it is not being listened to or possibly being controlled, even if much of the subject material is absolutely and unquestionably genuine.

For payment details, ALWAYS pick up the phone. Sounds easy in hindsight....

I appreciate the offers of support, but not sure I can expect you all to bail me out of a trouble that was of my own making.

Legally - yeah - what can I say. Been told the business is certainly liable to some degree, but proving that could be costly and we have no way of knowing what sort of compensation (if any) we could receive. International litigation could be costly as well.

How secure were their systems?
Who knows. Would need to pay to have them audited. Also have to drag in their IT company as defendants. Case gets bigger $$$.

How much security is considered reasonable?
Again - subjective. The dealership is not NASA or the FBI. Reasonable security steps for a small business, and what they are? All very subjective as what is reasonable.

I have mate in the UK who is a solicitor and he is asking head honcho's at his firm for advice. They all reckon litigation would be expensive and the outcome questionable, although they all agree the dealer has some liability and probably worth pursuing to a certain point.

Do I want to throw more money at it is the question? Do I chase and blame the dealer that had the unfortunate luck of being hacked? Or simply let it go?
We are all victims to some degree.

Still chasing this up though and will let you know more when I do.

Thanks again for your support.

Cheers,
Shanan
cage
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by cage »

Well written Shanan, very much feel for you.

Don't know any of your financial situations but I hope this has not wrecked your mustang dream totally.

I know you feel like a complete tosser for having this happen to you and it sounds like you also feel like you have let your family down but you can come back from this. Stay positive mate.
"The simple answer is, even if I have decided I still don't know what to do."
Pinto-Pete
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Pinto-Pete »

Well said cage,..... Shanan, if you ever feel like a beer and some bench racing with a fellow mustang tragic drop by and say hi,...the address is below..
I'm Batman...

Crane Operator
Mammoet Australia
Rye Park Wind Farm
Astro
Mustang Maniac
Mustang Maniac

Post by Astro »

Great group of guys here Shanan - for an internet group, we get together more than you would think.

You've had a harsh start to your dream, I hope you can keep it alive for you and your family to enjoy in the near

future - as you are finding out, anything we can do to help don't be afraid to ask.

Quickest way to find Pinto is head straight to the Ringwood Rissole -been there a few times

myself actually :cheers:

Cheers

J
I love big birds - I cannot lie...
nassi
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by nassi »

Astro wrote:
Quickest way to find Pinto is head straight to the Ringwood Rissole -been there a few times

Cheers

J
That probably should read Ringwood Asshole... perhaps?
Astro
Mustang Maniac
Mustang Maniac

Post by Astro »

nassi wrote:
Astro wrote:

Cheers

J
That probably should read Ringwood Asshole... perhaps?
Yep - there too :moon:
I love big birds - I cannot lie...
shan75
Baby Mustang
Baby Mustang

Post by shan75 »

Hi guys,

I sent a email - very polite - that my lawyer reviewed. Essentially asking them to forward me these emails they apparently sent with the accurate account details (the one I never received).

Essentially asking them to provide evidence they sent me the right payment information and the dealer has shut down comm's with me. Legal only.

So yeah - at this I still have no evidence they even sent me the accurate payment information.

I suspect they probably know what has happened. Not going to admit it unfortunately. Let you know where this goes.