Finally - the Bullitt begins! :-)

Create your project threads here if you prefer to keep them out of the regular forums

Moderator: Moderators

mungus
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Finally - the Bullitt begins! :-)

Post by mungus »

I thought that I should at long last, begin the project thread for my "Bullitt". I bought it from mid island NY in July 2015, and finally got it home in early 2016. I've been working on it steadily since then, but hadn't got around to posting up anything until now. Apologies for that. So I think best to start with what it was, and what I aim eventually aiming for. (apologies in advance that most photos are only with my iPhone 6S).

What it was;

Originally finished in Gulfstream Aqua (see photo, this GT FB S code car is almost identical spec to what mine was when new). March 1968 Metuchen S code (FE390) fastback with a C6 Auto. Apart from AC was it pretty much fully optioned.

VIN; 8T02S182523.
MARTI revealed;

- GT Equipment Group
- Limited Slip Rear Axle
- F70X14 Wide Oval White Sidewall Nylon Tires
- Louvered Hood
- Sport Deck Rear Seat
- Console
- Power Disc Brakes
- Power Steering
- AM/FM Stereo Radio
- Tinted Glass
- Front Seat Headrests

So it even had the rare factory headrests ($1K if you can find a pair!) and the then brand new option of a AM/FM stereo "F8TBZ" radio (which I have - yippee!). Would have been a damn nice and fairly fast car IMHO, if you could handle the bubble gum colour! :-) I'm still a bit conflicted over this part of it. Highly spec'd numbers correct nice 68' S codes aren't exactly common and the prices for properly restored ones are climbing. Plus mine being well spec'd I am tempted to go concours, with maybe minor internal / invisible upgrades.

However my wife can't stand the Gulfstream Aqua colour (theres a 68' coupe near us in that colour which met with glares of disapproval) so to keep the peace I'll stay with my original idea and build it as a Bullitt replica. I actually don't dislike the OEM colour that much with the GT group etc. Looks pretty striking with black hood stripes and maybe even a set of TT-D's. But happy wife and all that...

Last edited by mungus on Wed Sep 08, 2021 8:55 am, edited 11 times in total.
Grumpy old git! 68’ S code Fastback
hybrid
Mustang King
Mustang King

Re: Finally - the Bullitt begins! :-)

Post by hybrid »

You should get yourself a photobucket (or similar) account to use for photos.
It's much nicer than using the forum upload feature.
mungus
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by mungus »

I hear ya! Having dramas with that already! I've never done that but I'll have a look.

Anyway heres the obligatory MARTI report and sales sheet.
It actually had the original (tatty) build sheet and buck tag when I bought it too.
Both lost by my shipping agent, but that's another story (see Importing section). Bummer.
Marti's sold me a new Buck tag and might make me a new build sheet if Kevin can find the time.

The car was bought as a disassembled project. Had been started in the early 1990's but the PO lost interest.
The good thing about that was most of the new yet to be fitted sheet metal was genuine FORD, still boxed up.
Rather than repop junk, some of which I've been unfortunate enough to try.
The bad thing was many of the required parts were missing, despite the BS from the seller to the contrary...
Caveat Emptor as they say.
Last edited by mungus on Sun Mar 18, 2018 7:45 am, edited 8 times in total.
boofhead
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by boofhead »

Excellent a new build thread. Good to see.
Most project start with the realisation something has not gone to plan so lets start from scratch. Looking forward to regular posts.
I will someday think of something clever to say.
mungus
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by mungus »

Thanks Boof. I know I've been a bit slow, but in truth I didn't have a lot of photos to put up.
Have been fixing sheet metal, restoring OEM bits and buying parts etc rather than any dramatic build up stages.

Heres what it looked like in the beginning. Largely rust free (well for an East coast 68'anyway). Its on its wheels, but only just!

The boxes of parts looked promising but in truth much was missing or incorrect. It seems the PO was a bit of an idiot FORD wise: Cleveland parts for an FE, non Ford engine pulleys, 2 bolt starter (should be 3), etc etc. Still all part of the fun, and in reality I bought it because of what it was, not based on what was missing. That is, mostly numbers correct, relatively rust free 68 S code fastback GT (i.e. mostly correct base for a Bullitt) at a price I could afford, and that the sheet metal was already there and FORD, not whatever. Came with most of the mechanicals inc a couple of diffs heads.
Last edited by mungus on Wed Sep 08, 2021 4:04 am, edited 15 times in total.
mungus
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by mungus »

The tow truck driver's loading efforts were to say the least "artistic". (check out the photo, yup thats how it travelled from mid NY island to NJ, bet ya it got a few looks!).

How on earth my car got there in one piece - I can only assime it must have involved divine intervention!

BTW take a look at that nice, rust free OEM 1968 passenger door in the previous post. By the time I saw the car in Melbourne it didn't look so nice, nor did the windshield (boxed) or the RHS rear section of the front fender apron. (Forklift I suspect).
Last edited by mungus on Wed Sep 08, 2021 4:05 am, edited 10 times in total.
mungus
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by mungus »

Here we are in sunny Melbourne! After inspection in Tullamarine I found the pax door badly stoved in (even bent the intrusion beam), the RHS rear apron buckled right up (pulled the welds right out of the little rear extension panels - buggered that too), both lower sills dented & scrapped. All the body damage looked like the work of a forklift. To top it off the original 1968 windshield was smashed (bubble wrapped and boxed). It still had its little date correct, patina'd, Carlite ID etch on it! So it was rather rare I would say. :-(
I then discovered the towie had chucked the block, C6 auto, heads etc. in the back in such a way as to buckle the rear floors and the back half of the driveshaft tunnel. I've worked with some dumb arses in my day, but I struggle to understand how much of a jerk one has to be to do this kind of thing to a strangers car, when your only job is to take care of it. The rear floors were rust free and OEM, judging by the paint etc., so not happy! I had no contact with the guy so it wasn't personal. I just chose the wrong shipper I guess!

Before anyone new here asks, yes I had a thread on my experiences with the shipper, who has since settled the matter. Many of us in OZ know who he is, so just read around the MOC forum etc. If you want to know.
Last edited by mungus on Wed Sep 08, 2021 5:17 am, edited 5 times in total.
mungus
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by mungus »

Anyway enough of the bad news, on to the strip down etc.

First step was removing the doors, trunk lid, rear axle and suspension etc, and getting my local blaster from Riddells Creek (Super Blast - Paul Donnelly, top bloke and car and bike restorer/racer himself), to give the shell the once over. Well worth it IMHO.

We found a couple of pin holes where I thought there were probably none, but pretty good really.
He's done quite a few classic Mustangs over the years, as "Just Mustangs" is close by.
He offered that mine was pretty good compared to many he's seen. Apparently he's done some shockers...
So after blowing out and vacuuming and a few twirls on the rotisserie on went a good coat of black etch
Last edited by mungus on Sun Mar 18, 2018 6:16 am, edited 9 times in total.
mungus
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by mungus »

Anyway by now I had a list of bodywork issues to sort out.

I ended up putting in new rear floors and a rear floor extension (RHS) plus replacing the LHS front torque box and fabricating a new rear tunnel. By this stage I had already replaced the RHS rear apron and the accompanying rear extension, that had been buggered by the loaders or unloaders. One thing that got me was how poorly the factory had fitted the rear apron. (Pretty sure it's the original one, shift code stampings matched up and had the right amount of patina, same sealing as the other original looking sheet metal). Hardly any spot welds (nowhere near compliant with the factory weld n assembly manual), so in a way a blessing to replace it. The new one I fitted is very well attached by comparison!

I also had a wee accident when the rear end of my eBay Chinese rotisserie (photo) folded up on me! (chinese welding - if you can call it that!). This put a nice dent in the centre of my NOS FORD trunk lid, which luckily a good panel beater managed to massage out. The Dynacorn one I bought as a quick fix had body-line issues... So that was lesson 1 in Mustang body resto for me. Its now for sale! The edges fitted fine once I fettled one hinge mounting hole a little, but the RHS body line would have been a mission for me to get right. Might fit someone's car, or anyones with some sympathetic filling I suppose.

The OEM FORD trunk lid fits beautifully. I can see now why repop sheet metal is not favoured by many.
No problems with the repop rear apron or torque box, however they are hardly exterior panels, so no cosmetic issues to worry about.
Last edited by mungus on Sun Mar 18, 2018 7:57 am, edited 9 times in total.
Nuts
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Nuts »

Cool. Another project!! She sure got beat up some. But you'll make it better than Henry made it, coz you love em like we all do!! Have fun, us watchers will!!
My Motto - Don't get Caught! If you do, Blame Someone Else!

MUSTANG - Fantastic Not Plastic
mungus
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by mungus »

Yup that's the plan!

Already well into it. Just trying to run the thread in a logical order of some sort.
Rear axle is all finished and motor about half way done, just waiting on Duggans to finish machining the heads for CJ valves, inserts and double spring set up (bought a COMP cams mild HYD roller). Have bought most of my yummy new parts {or so I think... :-) }, which is allot!

I vary what I do to keep the interest up. This isnt my first rodeo (have been wasting money on old rubbish for many years) and I know myself pretty well now. I can't just hammer away at the same thing for a year at a time.
Sheet metal for a few months then a system or 2 to break things up.

Mounting the rear valance and doors at present. Rebuilt the hinges, welded up the trunk floor and mounted the export brace etc last month. Rebuilt the pedal box and converted it to manual with the roller bearing mod last the month before. Did the brake booster (midland OEM with tag) before that. You get the picture... Whatever system takes my fancy gets the treatment.

In truth I've been doing lots of little side jobs over the last year or so. The idea being when the body is done she'll go together pretty quickly. Have also made a habit of restoring, bagging and storing all the OEM parts that I wont be using, to preserve the originality and value in case she goes concours one day (OEM lead weight cast manifolds, floor console, date correct water pump etc.). I'll post that stuff up too one day.

Anyway I'll try to post some more photos now. A bit tricky I'm discovering!
Last edited by mungus on Sun Mar 18, 2018 5:20 pm, edited 7 times in total.
mungus
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by mungus »

Anyway I'll spell out the second part of the intro to this project, that is what I'm aiming for.

I want a useable, comfortable sporty cruiser that's faithful to the original Bullitt movie cars. I don't want a big wheeled resto mod with 500+ HP. I don't want a useless trailer queen concourse car either. The factory original spec of the pair of identical San Jose GT S code movie cars is well known, from the numerous folks who've bought their MARTI reports as a base for a tribute car. I can post the details if anyone wants, but many here will have some idea anyway.

From there the 2 cars diverged a bit as one was the "hero" jump car and the other was the slow shots car. Both were identical SJ GT390's when new but with movie damage and the necessary mods by Max Balchowsky meant they diverged as time went on. A lot of myths have grown up around them, aided by a few furphys from dealers claiming their offerings were "movie correct" when to those with some real clues, they clearly weren't...

I'm not going to attempt to replicate the Bullitt websites here, (a few of the links are below FYI) but I will set out a few basics to set the scene, as not everyone knows much about them.

http://www.imboc.com/forums/#movie-replicas

http://www.ponysite.de/bullitthowto.htm

Balchowsky didn't spell out too many details about the mods he did before he died in 1999, but some things are known. One of the cars (the slow scenes one) survived as a daily driver, and is still around today, albeit not often seen. And as many now know very recently the beat up jump car did too, (although it was "sent to the crusher" by the studio in 1969 for liability reasons). So apparently it was diverted elsewhere, it managed to survive the last 48 years, and was recently found in México. Not the first time that's happened in CA or the SW USA as we've probably heard... :-)

The "good" car's present owner won't let anyone examine it, let alone buy it. However one PO (a NY cop) did talk about it many years ago, even featuring it in a short magazine article. By then it had received a few minor roadworthiness changes like a proper 68' mustang door mirror being fitted, etc, but it was otherwise per its movie duties. The new discovered jump car is to be restored apparently.

Either would likely fetch millions at auction today. Being as famous as a James Bond car, but far rarer and ex Steve McQueen (who the hell was that ponce Roger Moore anyway?) :-)

Anyway the long and the short of it is my car aims to be a good, educated guess on what the cars were like for the movie, that is NOT as they left the factory, because that simply isn't authentic to the Bullitt cars. What is known is that they had mildly modded and de-smogged engines, (heads shaved and intake / carb upgraded), exhausts changed, (some say headers but movie stills don't show them) suspension upgrades (Konis etc), chassis strengthened by subframe connectors and shock tower braces, etc (jump car), with 1967 Shelby FIV leather bound steering wheels and de-blinged bodies running 15" period Torque thrusts etc etc etc., and so will mine, plus maybe some other hidden goodies.

So quite simply, a "concours correct" Highland Green, 4 speed, San Jose, January 1968 spec S code FB isn't movie correct. I have done a lot of research over the last 2 years, reading everything I can get, buying period articles, web searching, contacting US enthusiasts and authorities etc, so I figure I have a pretty good idea of what they should be like.
The period magazine articles on them pass on very little detail of use to car builders.

I have been lucky enough to find an orginal 67' FIV Secura steering wheel, one of the few visible mods.
Wheel wise I'm running new 15 x 7" TT-D's, not 48 year old Magnesium TT wheels per McQueens cars.
That would be Just plain unsafe IMHO, even if you could find a set - simple as that.
I have made one major concession to family and useability in that I am fitting a perfect fit AC system, albeit I bought an original pot metal dash vent as I couldn't stand the chintzy non adjustable plastic thing they supplied. I'm also keeping the factory PS to make life easier on my old forearms (upgraded to a Borgeson box, to save on leaks and tighten everything up etc). The movie cars weren't PS, but I've driven non PS S codes, not much fun to park!

But it will at least IMHO be worthy of the Bullitt label, being at least a real 68' S code fastback.
Some so called Bullitts I've seen are IMHO nothing like one:

- Not S codes, (or even transplanted FE's, many are just J codes etc)
- Not 1968's,
- Big wheels,
- Wrong steering wheel,
- Auto trans, etc
- 8" rear axle, (you get the picture).

There is more to a Bullitt than some Highland Green paint IMHO...

Anyway, Mum's calling. So more on all that later... Enjoy!
Last edited by mungus on Sun Mar 18, 2018 6:24 am, edited 22 times in total.
boofhead
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by boofhead »

Sound like you have completed alot of work. Excellent.

Use Photobucket for the images. That is what almost everyone here does.
I will someday think of something clever to say.
hybrid
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by hybrid »

mungus wrote:Anyway as for some reason it says I've reached my upload limit of 10 photos again I'll spell out the second part of the intro to this project, that is what I'm aiming for.
I simply can't store everyone's photos here. We have limited space on the server, and the attachment feature is horrible anyway.
mungus
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by mungus »

Yup point taken, I have had enough of uploading here. :-(

I'll be away over the next few days so might not be much activity for a while.

The rear axle was basically finished today - full rebuild with new Yukon 3.7 gears and currie axles, all new brakes, 2K satin black etc. And I've taken a few photos of that, so once the outline is done I'll put that bit up. I've tried to go concours on the axle exterior, but need to ascertain the daubs etc to finesse the end result to my satisfaction. Other than that it's all done. Was nice to get the first major system completed. Back into the bodywork next week, bloody Dynacorn rear valance is still resisting my attempts to get a nice fit...

Last edited by mungus on Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:20 pm, edited 11 times in total.